Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2019, 11:36:22 pm

Author Topic: Remyís DeLOTEful VCE Journey  (Read 689 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +5715
Re: Remyís DeLOTEful VCE Journey
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 12:35:37 pm »
Hi Joseph, I donít know too much about linguistics, but itís something Iíve always wanted to learn more off. My school sadly didnít run Eng Lang and I thought 4 external subjects was too much so I settled for English. Iíd love to maybe learn more at uni. In particular I have an interest in learning about language use in the media, especially around political issues (is that socio linguistics?)

If I fall short of the ATAR needed for global studies or media, I might do arts at Monash with majors in linguistics and either media or intíl relations. Iím just not so sure about job prospects for such a broad degree like arts.

Unffff. Yeah, that'd fall under sociolingustics - and that's pretty much exactly what I looked at through Honours! So, *more* than happy to chat about it further if you're interested. :)

Job prospects - I think it's a valid concern but would be equally valid with a number of other degrees.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. Yeet ahoy!

Subscribe for free study videos:

ATAR Notes - HSC
ATAR Notes - VCE

Comet striker

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 01:53:34 pm »
Late hi from me,
Seeing as your learning so many languages, I am curious about your strategy to help you learn so many languages. Also:
english... I don't even know what's happening. Does anyone get the feeling in english class that nothing ever gets covered and that nothing productive happens?
Can relate. Mainly bc Literature stuff goes above my head. Hope that changes tho lol

Remy33

• Adventurer
  • My real name isn't Remy
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 12:12:42 am »
Quote from: Joseph41
Unffff. Yeah, that'd fall under sociolingustics - and that's pretty much exactly what I looked at through Honours! So, *more* than happy to chat about it further if you're interested. :)

Job prospects - I think it's a valid concern but would be equally valid with a number of other degrees.

It's so cool to hear that you did that for honours! Did you major in linguistics or politics? What exactly was your topic if you don't mind me asking?

Re: job prospects - I do think that each degree has its own problems and it can't just be said for arts. From my understanding arts is more suited for people who wants to pursue post-grad study while the more specific degrees Monash offers are less suitable for research (idk if that's correct, that's the general concensus I get). Thing is, I don't think I would want to do honours/masters at this stage.

Do you have much experience with what Monash arts might be like, by the way? Sorry about all these questions haha.

---

Quote from: Comet striker
Late hi from me,
Seeing as your learning so many languages, I am curious about your strategy to help you learn so many languages. Also:Can relate. Mainly bc Literature stuff goes above my head. Hope that changes tho lol

Hi Comet striker, with my strategy (idk if you can call it strategy lmfao) I mainly just rely on watching the news or movies in the language I'm trying to learn. Or if I want to improve my reading skills I'd use subtitles in that specific language. Sometimes when I'm not feeling socially awkward I'd venture out of my cave and into civilisation to talk to human beings.
Sometimes I also go on duolingo but since tragically losing my 200-day streak I've been feeling very unmotivated

Hope english can change for the better for you too. ;D
<  VCE  2018 Ė 2019  >
Portuguese 42  |   Russian  |  Chinese  |  English  |  Global Politics  |  Methods

A different language is a different vision of life