FREE lectures this September + October | HSC Head Start + Exam Revision: book here | QCE Head Start: book here | VCE Exam Revision: book here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 17, 2019, 06:32:55 pm

Author Topic: Homeschooling and Routines - what would you do?  (Read 332 times)  Share 

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +45
Homeschooling and Routines - what would you do?
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »
+1
Hi again! Sorry about all of the questions. I'm very curious about your experiences and would love to hear thoughts on this one.
Effectively, if you had - from a couple of weeks before the beginning of a unit - the entirety of the unit's work right in front of you, and the ability to complete whatever you want whenever you want to (as long as you finish each week per week), what would your priorities be?
Would you work ahead? Would you try to finish the whole unit as soon as possible? Or would you just work by the week as it comes?

I have been trying to set up a routine for myself, but I find that, when you have all of the work ahead of you, it's sort of hard to just fully 'stop' working knowing that you could always be just a little more ahead. Due to that, I'm prone to burning out, and I don't think any of my ideas have been working for me. So.. I have come to steal hear yours!

Again, I'd love to hear your perspective! If you have more details to what your game plan in this hypothetical scenario would be, I'd love to hear those too. (For example, would you just do one subject per day, or space it out? Would you try to complete the SACs far ahead of time? How about weekends?)
Thanks so much. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:51:22 pm by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math Methods 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math Methods 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)
Class of 2021

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +429
Re: Homeschooling and Routines - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:50:12 pm »
+5
Hi again! Sorry about all of the questions. I'm very curious about your experiences and would love to hear thoughts on this one.
Effectively, if you had - from a couple of weeks before the beginning of a unit - the entirety of the unit's work right in front of you, and the ability to complete whatever you want whenever you want to (as long as you finish each week per week), what would your priorities be?
Would you work ahead? Would you try to finish the whole unit as soon as possible? Or would you just work by the week as it comes?

I have been trying to set up a routine for myself, but I find that, when you have all of the work ahead of you, it's sort of hard to just fully 'stop' working knowing that you could always be just a little more ahead. Due to that, I'm prone to burning out, and I don't think any of my ideas have been working for me. So.. I have come to steal hear yours!

Again, I'd love to hear your perspective! If you have more details to what your game plan in this hypothetical scenario would be, I'd love to hear those too. (For example, would you just do one subject per day, or space it out? Would you try to complete the SACs far ahead of time? How about weekends?)
Thanks so much. :)

Hey, catpacksnapback!

Never apologise for asking questions  ;D Theyíre what make AN such a supportive and thriving community. Itís good that youíre reaching out and wanting to find effective strategies to maximize your learning experiences too  :)

During my HSC year, I used the holiday period to review the previous termís content and reflect on areas I needed to improve and strengthen. That would be my first priority  :) You might be ready and set to head into the new unitís content already but do make sure you revise and solidify existing content first.

I would then go ahead slowly with content, but not diving right into it and completing it. Your teacher may cover important points that can aid your learning so just a head start is great. Reading materials, watching videos and writing notes ahead can serve as useful supplementary study and will propel you forward. Itíll also help you relate the content covered later in class with existing knowledge. Basically, I advise going ahead but also realise that thereís more to the unit that youíll be doing in class anyway so donít overwork yourself. This leads me into my next point.

To tackle the constant urge to do more and go ahead, I used a checklist which I reduced down to a manageable number of things I needed to do. It was usually a list of ten and when exam period came I put it down to only five. This helps you organise your priorities for the week and be productive without exhausting yourself. Your checklist could also include break time! For example, during exam period, one of my checklist items was having date night with my boyfriend. This meant that I still had other things in life that were worth putting first too, especially with leisure, family and friends. 

The main message I will leave you with is itís your break; find the right balance for yourself between productivity and giving yourself a chance to recharge before the next term. If you need more help, continue asking questions here in this thread and weíll guide you further  8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Bad puns are how eye roll
  • Respect: +2004
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:18 pm »
+3
I think I'd probably work a bit ahead - probably just 1 week or so, so you have a bit of a buffer in case something unexpected comes up and stops you from working for a bit. I don't think I'd go any further ahead than that though, I think if you work too far ahead you risk going through everything too fast and not learning it well enough to really make it stick.

Have you tried allocating time to leisure? So rather than fitting in your hobbies whenever you have spare time, set aside time during the week either for specific activities or just blocks of time when you're not going to do any work. I think if you have designated times when you know you're not going to do any school work, that might help you stop feeling like you've constantly got to be doing more and getting further ahead.
2019: B Environment and Sustainability/B Science @ ANU

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:10 am »
Thank you both SO SO much! This input is super fantastic and it's awesome to hear your thoughts. ;D
I will definitely be taking this to heart, and so far it sounds like the plan is to be ahead, but not to cram unnecessarily.

Though out of curiosity, and in the interest of asking more questions (here is where I would apologize), would anyone have any recommendations for some sort of to-do list system? I was thinking of just writing this sort of thing down, but it occurred to me that some people use programs, or other methods of keeping track, and I would be keen to know if anybody has any suggestions or anecdotes about the way they use their checklists.

Thanks so much again!
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math Methods 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math Methods 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)
Class of 2021

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +429
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:05 am »
+4
Thank you both SO SO much! This input is super fantastic and it's awesome to hear your thoughts. ;D
I will definitely be taking this to heart, and so far it sounds like the plan is to be ahead, but not to cram unnecessarily.

Though out of curiosity, and in the interest of asking more questions (here is where I would apologize), would anyone have any recommendations for some sort of to-do list system? I was thinking of just writing this sort of thing down, but it occurred to me that some people use programs, or other methods of keeping track, and I would be keen to know if anybody has any suggestions or anecdotes about the way they use their checklists.

Thanks so much again!

Hey, catpacksnapback!

Once again, donít need to apologise for asking questions. The more posts, the merrier  8) So in my previous response I recommended a checklist scheme which you can have a closer read again if youíd like above  :)

I tried to avoid overcomplicating my checklist, keeping it simple and tailored specifically to each week. While I would sometimes have subjects less prioritised in one week because of other assessments going on, I would make it a priority to then focus on that subject more the following week. I aimed to give myself revision time if it were possible where I would do a practice paper under my own conditions or I would write up notes for any subjects that needed them.

I also tried to keep the list balanced, as mentioned above, by having at least three non-school related activities. I found that this helped me have a healthier and more positive approach long term because I motivated myself with additional activities outside of rigorous study. I canít stress the importance enough of making sure you give yourself down time to do your own things.

My to-do list system is pretty straightforward and doesnít have any other elements to it. With the hectic experience of your final year, the best gift you can give yourself is an easy and comprehensive outline of your week. Having it any more complex might induce further stress which I donít find ideal. Hope that helps! If anyone else has a different suggestion, that would be great to consider too. Do what works best for you  ;D

Angelina

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music