FREE VCE lectures this April across 24 subjects. Places filling fast - book now!.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 24, 2019, 05:45:25 pm

Author Topic: (Solved!) Operationalized hypothesis problems?  (Read 64 times)  Share 

catpacksnapback

• Trailblazer
  • Did I just break that? Oh no, I think I broke it..
  • Respect: +16
(Solved!) Operationalized hypothesis problems?
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:12:19 pm »
Hi guys! Just wondering, but I feel like I'm missing something MAJOR in my Psychology work. I'm in Unit 1 but I have a feeling that this is going to be pretty important in 3/4.

We're being given a study, information as to the testing, and asked to formulate an operationalized hypothesis based upon it. But twice, now, we've been given studies that don't feel as if they have a cause and effect relationship. Here are some examples:

In a study, 2 groups (one of participants under the age of 50, one of participants aged 50-60) are subjected to memory tests in order to test the hypothesis that age contributes to memory loss. I assumed that the "operationalized Dependent Variable" was the average of the scores of each group of participants/overall performance, but couldn't figure out what the "operationalized Independent Variable" was. I guessed that it was the age of the participants, but they keep insisting in the coursework that the independent variable must be manipulated by the experimenter (whereas age was only "chosen" by the experimenter, not manipulated). This was never marked wrong or right by my learning advisor, I was just told to read the material more.

In another study, one participant, who suffers epileptic seizures, is told to lift his left foot when a blue light is flashed, and his right when a yellow light is flashed. We weren't given a hypothesis for this one. I assumed the researcher's hypothesis was that the seizures were affecting contra-lateral function and/or processing, but I feel like my own brain falls apart every time I try to figure this out.

In both cases, nothing is being actively manipulated (as they keep stressing in the coursework), so I'm just left confused. What part of the equation am I missing here? Thanks so much :)

(Bonus question: Is it operationalized or operationalised? I have no idea. They keep using both.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:24:07 pm by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math(?) 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math(?) 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1273
Re: Operationalized hypothesis problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:18:15 pm »
+3
Hi guys! Just wondering, but I feel like I'm missing something MAJOR in my Psychology work. I'm in Unit 1 but I have a feeling that this is going to be pretty important in 3/4.

We're being given a study, information as to the testing, and asked to formulate an operationalized hypothesis based upon it. But twice, now, we've been given studies that don't feel as if they have a cause and effect relationship. Here are some examples:

In a study, 2 groups (one of participants under the age of 50, one of participants aged 50-60) are subjected to memory tests in order to test the hypothesis that age contributes to memory loss. I assumed that the "operationalized Dependent Variable" was the average of the scores of each group of participants/overall performance, but couldn't figure out what the "operationalized Independent Variable" was. I guessed that it was the age of the participants, but they keep insisting in the coursework that the independent variable must be manipulated by the experimenter (whereas age was only "chosen" by the experimenter, not manipulated). This was never marked wrong or right by my learning advisor, I was just told to read the material more.

In another study, one participant, who suffers epileptic seizures, is told to lift his left foot when a blue light is flashed, and his right when a yellow light is flashed. We weren't given a hypothesis for this one. I assumed the researcher's hypothesis was that the seizures were affecting contra-lateral function and/or processing, but I feel like my own brain falls apart every time I try to figure this out.

In both cases, nothing is being actively manipulated (as they keep stressing in the coursework), so I'm just left confused. What part of the equation am I missing here? Thanks so much :)

(Bonus question: Is it operationalized or operationalised? I have no idea. They keep using both.)

First one: age is the IV. IV doesn't necessarily mean it has to be manipulated, it's just the thing that changes to cause the effect. Another way of thinking about it is the IV is the variable that is deliberately not kept constant.

Second one: the absence of a hypothesis makes it pretty well impossible to know what the IV and the DV are. You can't really tell what the experimenter is thinking because it hasn't been given to you. In your case I'd just google some of the words from the study and see whether it's been done before. In terms of answerability though, it's not a fair question so you're right not to know the answer.

Operationalise ("z" is an American spelling!).

Excellent questions. I really appreciate that you've clearly had a crack at them yourself and have worked us through your thinking on all of your questions. This means you'll actually leave this having learnt something, rather than just having information spat at you by us. Awesome work :D
BIOLOGY TUTORING 2019: state library or Melbourne Uni. 50/hr. PM to secure your place!

Join ATARNotes Footy Tipping

2013-15: BBioMed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019: MPH, UniMelb
Year I: BIOL10002 BIOL10003 CHEM10006 MAST10011 MAST10016 PHYC10007 SPAN10001 SPAN10002
Year II: BCMB20005 BIOM20001 BIOM20002 CLAS10022 GENE20001 SPAN20020 SPAN30014
Year III: BCBM30001 BCMB30002 BCMB30010 BIOM30001 BIOM30002 PHRM30008

catpacksnapback

• Trailblazer
  • Did I just break that? Oh no, I think I broke it..
  • Respect: +16
Re: Operationalized hypothesis problems?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:23:31 pm »
First one: age is the IV. IV doesn't necessarily mean it has to be manipulated, it's just the thing that changes to cause the effect. Another way of thinking about it is the IV is the variable that is deliberately not kept constant.

Second one: the absence of a hypothesis makes it pretty well impossible to know what the IV and the DV are. You can't really tell what the experimenter is thinking because it hasn't been given to you. In your case I'd just google some of the words from the study and see whether it's been done before. In terms of answerability though, it's not a fair question so you're right not to know the answer.

Operationalise ("z" is an American spelling!).

Excellent questions. I really appreciate that you've clearly had a crack at them yourself and have worked us through your thinking on all of your questions. This means you'll actually leave this having learnt something, rather than just having information spat at you by us. Awesome work :D

Absolute legend! Thanks so much for the response. Extremely relieving to have some reassurance here and insight too! (Though a little frustrating to know my coursework has been putting us through the wringer there!)
Your appreciation is much appreciated :) - though now it's time to relearn the word "operationalised"!  :-X
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math(?) 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math(?) 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)