Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 22, 2019, 03:25:58 am

Author Topic: A cat's VCE Journey!  (Read 3324 times)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +44
Re: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 06:40:13 am »
+4
Me too! I can't remember when I last read for pleasure and not the assigned texts which I grow to how shall I put it, not be a fan of by the end of the year. I think the way you write is lovely, you definitely have a flair. What kind of art do you like doing? And I second this visual glossary idea, it sounds wonderful, and I'd love to see it! You could make your own thread, it would be amazing!

Take care x

TOTALLY agreed - I try my best to enjoy the assigned reading, but it's like destiny that I eventually don't like it! But oh my gosh, thank you so much for the kind words (again! You're too sweet!). I love drawing little things, animals, cutesy stuff, I can't do realism at all; but I would love to try that out! Thank you for the encouragement ;D

I appreciate that, you too!

June 12, GAT Week, 2019
Not to mislead - I'm not doing the GAT, year 11, but it seems like we've been granted a catch-up week for students a little behind on unit 1 work!
So I'm taking this opportunity to yell here. (Speaking of yelling: Did you guys see the new animal crossing trailer?!!?!)

It only took me about two days, but I think I figured out our schedule! We have a catchup week this week, then the first two weeks of unit 2. Then we have a two week holiday. There's an annual event on during the holidays that I'd love to catch, but I have a feeling I might have to forgo it to study ahead since it's all throughout July :( That's okay though! I have started studying ahead for Unit 2 this week and here's what I have to do:
CHEM2: Begin studying the properties of water
BIO2: The cell cycle and asexual reproduction
LIT2: Read 'The Great Gatsby'
PSYCH2: Sensations and perception, principles of visual perception
Now that's just before the holidays - I have already read the chapter on the cell cycle and might try to finalize my notes/do practice questions today.
Otherwise, I honestly don't feel very confident in my performance in Unit 1 at all. There's a lot that I want to brush up on! Chemistry, namely, I would love to solidify, and Psychology kinda fell to the wayside. Biology seems to be okay, but a little revision never hurts, and I perpetually have no idea what's going on with Literature. Constantly.
Still battling the ever-enigmatic health mystery which has been fighting me on all of this since November. Keeps things interesting!

I also want to start studying for Methods, like, now. I'm terrified. I have the book here. It's terrifying. I really didn't retain anything from Year 10, so I have to revise MAJORLY on that. I might ask the lovely math people here if they have any recommendations or resources for that!

Thanks for reading! ;D Stay safe out there! What's your week looking like?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:53:06 am by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math Methods 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math Methods 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)
Class of 2021

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +1651
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:20 pm »
+1
I'd love to see a visual glossary on here: would be a great fit for the creative corner or accountability and motivation sections of the forum :)

Glad to hear that the year 9 class went well too - year 9 can be a bit unpredictable in my experience

I'm busy with exam preparation today but I'll check out your methods thread when I can :)
VCE: Sciences, eng lang & methods
2018: Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) @ Monash

Leadership  ; Scientific Methodology ; Wanting to stay productive?
Psychology  Research Methods Practice

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 11:31:05 am »
+4
I'd love to see a visual glossary on here: would be a great fit for the creative corner or accountability and motivation sections of the forum :)

Glad to hear that the year 9 class went well too - year 9 can be a bit unpredictable in my experience

I'm busy with exam preparation today but I'll check out your methods thread when I can :)

Thank you so much! I will absolutely be looking into it, in that case. :D Definitely agreed on the year 9 front.
I hope all went well with the exam prep; no stress, but any input there is very much appreciated!

June 17, Week 1, 2019
I probably need to figure out a better format for these headers. To be clear - we're on week 1 of unit 2.. but since I know I'll be doing jumbled units, I'm not sure I can say what unit we're on.. hmm..
Unit 2 begins! I have finished the first week of Biology, finished the assigned reading for Literature, and have quite a bit of studying to do for Chemistry and Psychology. Lots of stuff to remember, which never used to bother me, but I've been so drained!
I just finished self-correcting the two practice exams I had for the last unit and I'm honestly really not happy with how I went. Admittedly.. I answer questions quite weirdly. The answers work, sure, but if they're looking for exact keywords, I tend to miss them by a thread every time! So I relied more on my multiple choice answers for now, and I got a 25/30 on Biology, and a 5/20 on Chemistry.

So what on Earth happened with Chemistry?
Maybe I'm crazy - any fellow virtual schoolers are welcome to chide me for my unfortunate results here - but I don't think we were doing the right work throughout the unit. I was never able to find what I was looking for in the right place of the textbook (and we spent a lot of time on chapters from Unit 2, when we did use it) and the exam was Neap's standard Unit 1 exam. I recall not knowing a lot of the material, and seeing a lot that we hadn't covered in any detail at all - and not seeing a lot of what we did cover. The migraine was feisty that day, too, but now I'm just looking for excuses, hahaha! Truth of the matter is, I want to spend more time on practice questions and doing practice exams.
We also weren't allowed to use a calculator, which I thought was interesting. There were stoichiometry questions.
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

Geoo

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2019, 12:13:09 pm »
+1
Yeah the chem exam was an interesting one. There where a few things that related to the coursework last unit, but I used the knowledge from year 9&10 to answer most of them as it wan't taught. I don't think it is a reflection on our part on how good we did, as the exam is by a company, not the school. So it isn't really customised, and I know NEAP gives out harder exams than normal.

So don't beat yourself up about, I have know a few people in real life and on the forms with the same thing when it came to their exams in unit 1 & 2. I took one look and just didn't bother with doing most of the exam anyway. It was optional, and I had more important SACs due and I know that it doesn't always reflect on how good you are at the subject.

But good luck on starting unit 2! Only one more week till school holidays ;D
My VCE 2020 Journal   My Baking Adventures
|2019| Biology.
|2020| English, Maths Methods, Food Studies, Chemistry.

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:58 am »
+1
Yeah the chem exam was an interesting one. There where a few things that related to the coursework last unit, but I used the knowledge from year 9&10 to answer most of them as it wan't taught. I don't think it is a reflection on our part on how good we did, as the exam is by a company, not the school. So it isn't really customised, and I know NEAP gives out harder exams than normal.

So don't beat yourself up about, I have know a few people in real life and on the forms with the same thing when it came to their exams in unit 1 & 2. I took one look and just didn't bother with doing most of the exam anyway. It was optional, and I had more important SACs due and I know that it doesn't always reflect on how good you are at the subject.

But good luck on starting unit 2! Only one more week till school holidays ;D

Thank you SO much for your assurance here. Oh my gosh. I'm so glad it's not me going crazy.
I did no chemistry whatsoever in year 9 and 10 - so it sounds like I've got some self study to do!
I really appreciate it. ;D Good luck with this last week to you too!
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2019, 01:46:11 pm »
+6
July 16, Week 3 (Unit 2), 2019
Hi guys! Just a tiny update.
Health has been getting worse and I've been really struggling with my studies, but trucking along. 5 big SACs coming up!
Thinking of totally reconsidering my goals over the next few years, or even months. Not sure where this will take me.
Hope you are all well. :)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2019, 05:33:43 pm »
+2
July 16, Week 3 (Unit 2), 2019
Hi guys! Just a tiny update.
Health has been getting worse and I've been really struggling with my studies, but trucking along. 5 big SACs coming up!
Thinking of totally reconsidering my goals over the next few years, or even months. Not sure where this will take me.
Hope you are all well. :)

That's no good to hear. :( Have been a long term lurker on your journal, absolutely love it! Best of luck with your sacs. <3 Sending good vibes!
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus