Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2019, 04:51:04 pm

Author Topic: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!  (Read 2137 times)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +38
Re: catpacksnapback's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:34 pm »
+3
May 3, 2019
Hiiii guys! Just here with a small update.
Still on top of most of my work - didn't get my literature submitted tonight unfortunately but I should have that done soon. After 5 weeks of waiting I finally got a grade on that Literature SAC, buuut it was a B+. Not happy with it at all but that's okay! Could have been worse.
(Much of my frustration there comes from that we had been given a very strict word limit and, according to the teacher, I had covered everything else really well. Just stuff that I missed was cut out due to the word limit. :( So I'm not sure how I could have gotten a better grade keeping that in mind.. (i.e., perform poorly on all sections, or miss a couple, do the others properly, and still make the word limit (like I did)))

Otherwise! I spent today in the city again. Feeling quite overwhelmed hahaha! We had a little excursion at the Dax center, and I hadn't realized that it was right in the heart of Melbourne University. Once we were dismissed, I ended up wandering around the city for hours and hours, particularly admiring the med school section of Melb Uni - and god, I am so excited. Just so excited! So excited to feel better, so excited to do something in any of these fields.

I'll be at the VCE and careers expo tomorrow, so that should be interesting! Looking forward to stealing brochures hahaha.
Thanks guys. :)
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math(?) 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math(?) 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 11:55:50 am »
+2
May 7, 2019
Hello again! :D Back with another little update!
It seems like I'm getting consistent B+ grades on my literature work - which is interesting! I put a lot of effort into that SAC, and the teacher, who is a substitute, had feedback that made it sound like I did far better than the grade said I had; that's okay. Once my actual teacher is back I may have to ask how to better my method of writing this sort of thing (again, everything I was missing or didn't elaborate further upon (I covered everything on the rubric) was cut from the letter due to the word limit, which I had gone slightly over already).

However!!! I'm super happy this morning! Got an A+ on my second Biology SAC. (It saddens me slightly, since I put more effort into that letter than I did into this, but I'm excited as hell about the grade hahaha!) My teacher is super lovely and her feedback is really helpful.
I also forgot to mention that I spoke to my psychology teacher at the Dax centre excursion, and he said he hadn't had the chance to read my SAC in depth, but he was really happy with the formatting, even saying it was university level, which both flatters and freaks me out. Looking forward to seeing the grade I got for that. Edit: Oh! Just as I posted this I got the email hahaha! Got an A+ on that one, so I'm stoked! Made a fair few mistakes that I should have seen coming, though. If not for the formatting, for which a bonus mark was awarded, I would have just gotten an A! o.o I don't want to make those blunders next year.

Career expo was fun; though a bit overwhelming. I guess I've done my research, I didn't have many questions to ask, hahaha! I felt like people were trying to sell me things throughout the majority unfortunately, I spent a good while sitting and watching a guy at a stall put "UCAT" stickers over his "UMAT" bags and forms - he also snapped at me for mentioning that I attended a lecture (ATARNotes' one) on it - eek, but I got some good info on open days for the universities I've been looking at.

Unit 1 SAC/Outcomes Progress:
PSYCH1 2/3
BIO1 2/3
CHEM1 1/3
LIT1 2/3

So 6 SACs left for the term (if I've counted properly)! Scary!
Thanks guys. ;D Be safe out there!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:21:58 pm by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +5698
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 01:24:20 pm »
+1
he also snapped at me for mentioning that I attended a lecture

That's kinda weird - do you know why? ???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:37:53 pm by Joseph41 »
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. Yeet ahoy!

Subscribe for free study videos:

ATAR Notes - HSC
ATAR Notes - VCE

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2019, 10:21:17 pm »
That's kinda weird - do you know why? ???

Not really sure! He kept saying that it was "useless" that I attend a lecture for something I wasn't super familiar with. (I went to say that I thought it was good experience and I enjoyed seeing what I was getting into, but he cut me off and got uppity about it, bleh.)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

brothanathan

• Forum Regular
  • Aerie of 2020 Consistency and displine
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:43 pm »
Not really sure! He kept saying that it was "useless" that I attend a lecture for something I wasn't super familiar with. (I went to say that I thought it was a good experience and I enjoyed seeing what I was getting into, but he cut me off and got uppity about it, bleh.)

Hi there,

Just asking for a dry honest opinion on VSV, is teachers being lazy to correct extra work just fake news? I'm considering doing 3/4 Philosophy there next year.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:33:47 pm by brothanathan »
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

If a man would pursue Philosophy, his first task is to throw away conceit. For it is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he has a conceit that he already knows.
 - Epictus

brothanathan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 11:33:01 pm »
The ambiguity you're facing at the moment is probably pretty stressful; I hope it comes closer to being resolved soon :)

You might have done this already,  but it might be a good idea to send a message to whoever taught you maths most recently & see if they've got a perspective on this.  Given the way VSV cohorts work they might not have much of an opinion but it could be worth a shot.

Have you looked at the study design for maths or further yet?

Hi again,

Just wondering how VSV cohorts work :)

Thanks
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

If a man would pursue Philosophy, his first task is to throw away conceit. For it is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he has a conceit that he already knows.
 - Epictus

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:54 am »
Hi there,

Just asking for a dry honest opinion on VSV, is teachers being lazy to correct extra work just fake news? I'm considering doing 3/4 Philosophy there next year.

Hey! Thanks for asking. :)
Firstly, that's a reasonable concern to have. I believe what you've been hearing is the product of the workload the teachers have.
Unfortunately, I don't have a really clear answer on that, because I've found it depends on the teacher; some mark my submissions a week later, others a couple of months. Teachers keep telling me that they've got about an average of eighty students and it seems like the more competitive the subject, the more work the teacher has, and therefore, potential delays. I've had similar issues in literature, for example, but my psychology teacher was willing to read through my entire APA style paper (which I made separate to the SAC) and gave me feedback. I hope that markings becomes more diligent in 3/4 subjects, but I have no experience there yet.

I really hope that helps! In short, it's all rather hit and miss. As for your second question, I honestly don't really know about VSV's cohorts! If we're referring to how other students perform, one thing that I'm sure about is that there's a good number of students that do not complete work. (I spoke with the aforementioned psychology teacher, who said that, despite his class of 80, only about half or less tend to submit regularly.) There are some really passionate and competitive students on the other hand, but I can't speak to philosophy. Good luck out there! Sorry that I don't have better answers for you.

Panicking.

The Future (probably)

brothanathan

• Forum Regular
Re: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 09:13:29 am »
+1
Thank-you :) <3

- Epictus

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
Re: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 07:35:44 am »
+2
May 12, 2019

Here's how my grades are stacking up!
I'm not really sure what this means, honestly. I'd like to be 100%ing everything - but who wouldn't? Hahaha!
Not sure how my cohort is doing at all, very much in the dark there. (I really need to work on literature.)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)