Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 23, 2019, 05:11:58 pm

Author Topic: A cat's VCE Journey!  (Read 3336 times)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +44
Re: catpacksnapback's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 08:31:34 pm »
+4
May 3, 2019
Hiiii guys! Just here with a small update.
Still on top of most of my work - didn't get my literature submitted tonight unfortunately but I should have that done soon. After 5 weeks of waiting I finally got a grade on that Literature SAC, buuut it was a B+. Not happy with it at all but that's okay! Could have been worse.
(Much of my frustration there comes from that we had been given a very strict word limit and, according to the teacher, I had covered everything else really well. Just stuff that I missed was cut out due to the word limit. :( So I'm not sure how I could have gotten a better grade keeping that in mind.. (i.e., perform poorly on all sections, or miss a couple, do the others properly, and still make the word limit (like I did)))

Otherwise! I spent today in the city again. Feeling quite overwhelmed hahaha! We had a little excursion at the Dax center, and I hadn't realized that it was right in the heart of Melbourne University. Once we were dismissed, I ended up wandering around the city for hours and hours, particularly admiring the med school section of Melb Uni - and god, I am so excited. Just so excited! So excited to feel better, so excited to do something in any of these fields.

I'll be at the VCE and careers expo tomorrow, so that should be interesting! Looking forward to stealing brochures hahaha.
Thanks guys. :)
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math Methods 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math Methods 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)
Class of 2021

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 11:55:50 am »
+2
May 7, 2019
Hello again! :D Back with another little update!
It seems like I'm getting consistent B+ grades on my literature work - which is interesting! I put a lot of effort into that SAC, and the teacher, who is a substitute, had feedback that made it sound like I did far better than the grade said I had; that's okay. Once my actual teacher is back I may have to ask how to better my method of writing this sort of thing (again, everything I was missing or didn't elaborate further upon (I covered everything on the rubric) was cut from the letter due to the word limit, which I had gone slightly over already).

However!!! I'm super happy this morning! Got an A+ on my second Biology SAC. (It saddens me slightly, since I put more effort into that letter than I did into this, but I'm excited as hell about the grade hahaha!) My teacher is super lovely and her feedback is really helpful.
I also forgot to mention that I spoke to my psychology teacher at the Dax centre excursion, and he said he hadn't had the chance to read my SAC in depth, but he was really happy with the formatting, even saying it was university level, which both flatters and freaks me out. Looking forward to seeing the grade I got for that. Edit: Oh! Just as I posted this I got the email hahaha! Got an A+ on that one, so I'm stoked! Made a fair few mistakes that I should have seen coming, though. If not for the formatting, for which a bonus mark was awarded, I would have just gotten an A! o.o I don't want to make those blunders next year.

Career expo was fun; though a bit overwhelming. I guess I've done my research, I didn't have many questions to ask, hahaha! I felt like people were trying to sell me things throughout the majority unfortunately, I spent a good while sitting and watching a guy at a stall put "UCAT" stickers over his "UMAT" bags and forms - he also snapped at me for mentioning that I attended a lecture (ATARNotes' one) on it - eek, but I got some good info on open days for the universities I've been looking at.

Unit 1 SAC/Outcomes Progress:
PSYCH1 2/3
BIO1 2/3
CHEM1 1/3
LIT1 2/3

So 6 SACs left for the term (if I've counted properly)! Scary!
Thanks guys. ;D Be safe out there!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:21:58 pm by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +5994
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 01:24:20 pm »
+1
he also snapped at me for mentioning that I attended a lecture

That's kinda weird - do you know why? ???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:37:53 pm by Joseph41 »
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. Yeet ahoy!

FREE HSC RESOURCES
FREE QCE RESOURCES
FREE VCE RESOURCES

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2019, 10:21:17 pm »
That's kinda weird - do you know why? ???

Not really sure! He kept saying that it was "useless" that I attend a lecture for something I wasn't super familiar with. (I went to say that I thought it was good experience and I enjoyed seeing what I was getting into, but he cut me off and got uppity about it, bleh.)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

brothanathan

• Trendsetter
  • Delete my account please
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:43 pm »
Not really sure! He kept saying that it was "useless" that I attend a lecture for something I wasn't super familiar with. (I went to say that I thought it was a good experience and I enjoyed seeing what I was getting into, but he cut me off and got uppity about it, bleh.)

Hi there,

Just asking for a dry honest opinion on VSV, is teachers being lazy to correct extra work just fake news? I'm considering doing 3/4 Philosophy there next year.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:33:47 pm by brothanathan »
May I please delete my account, thank you friendly Admins. Sent a request with reasoning prior.

brothanathan

• Trendsetter
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 11:33:01 pm »
The ambiguity you're facing at the moment is probably pretty stressful; I hope it comes closer to being resolved soon :)

You might have done this already,  but it might be a good idea to send a message to whoever taught you maths most recently & see if they've got a perspective on this.  Given the way VSV cohorts work they might not have much of an opinion but it could be worth a shot.

Have you looked at the study design for maths or further yet?

Hi again,

Just wondering how VSV cohorts work :)

Thanks
May I please delete my account, thank you friendly Admins. Sent a request with reasoning prior.

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:54 am »
Hi there,

Just asking for a dry honest opinion on VSV, is teachers being lazy to correct extra work just fake news? I'm considering doing 3/4 Philosophy there next year.

Hey! Thanks for asking. :)
Firstly, that's a reasonable concern to have. I believe what you've been hearing is the product of the workload the teachers have.
Unfortunately, I don't have a really clear answer on that, because I've found it depends on the teacher; some mark my submissions a week later, others a couple of months. Teachers keep telling me that they've got about an average of eighty students and it seems like the more competitive the subject, the more work the teacher has, and therefore, potential delays. I've had similar issues in literature, for example, but my psychology teacher was willing to read through my entire APA style paper (which I made separate to the SAC) and gave me feedback. I hope that markings becomes more diligent in 3/4 subjects, but I have no experience there yet.

I really hope that helps! In short, it's all rather hit and miss. As for your second question, I honestly don't really know about VSV's cohorts! If we're referring to how other students perform, one thing that I'm sure about is that there's a good number of students that do not complete work. (I spoke with the aforementioned psychology teacher, who said that, despite his class of 80, only about half or less tend to submit regularly.) There are some really passionate and competitive students on the other hand, but I can't speak to philosophy. Good luck out there! Sorry that I don't have better answers for you.

Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

brothanathan

• Trendsetter
Re: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 09:13:29 am »
+1
Thank-you :) <3

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 07:35:44 am »
+3
May 12, 2019

Here's how my grades are stacking up!
I'm not really sure what this means, honestly. I'd like to be 100%ing everything - but who wouldn't? Hahaha!
Not sure how my cohort is doing at all, very much in the dark there. (I really need to work on literature.)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:08 am »
+4
May 21, 2019
Hey folks! Tiny update while I procrastinate!
I have 4 (3?) more SACs left! Here's an update on each subject:

Psychology
PSYCH1 SAC3 is due at the end of this week! It's a self directed report based on other peoples' research. I have to choose a topic from 34 given research questions and find other papers on it, and write something up about their results. I had a lot of really fun ideas set out but I couldn't find papers on any of the fun ones! So I'm going to go with my least favorite, but I'm going to keep these ideas in mind - they're things I might even be able to study myself in the future. The two following weeks are just revision and evaluation.
Biology
BIO1 SAC3 is due next week - digital exam based on the past four weeks of work. I really need to revise, it's escaped my memory! The week after (Week 16) entails an optional(?) practice exam which I'll be trying out. All about species, population, and nomenclature. I find this sort of thing super interesting!
Literature
LIT1 SAC3 is also due next week and it's a comparative essay. I'm really going to try and game this rubric because I've been really unhappy with my performance in literature. Fingers crossed! The following weeks seem to be evaluation and revision oriented.
Chemistry
Chemistry's a bit of a mystery (as always!). I can't seem to find Outcome 3! We have an optional practice exam next week which I'll also be doing, but I'm assuming that the practice exam is outcome 3 and there's no third SAC in Unit 1. A lot of students have been struggling with the work from what I understand and it makes sense, the next week is catching up, I think. (Though I'd like to note: Oh my god, this week's work was SO fun! We had to solve a bit of a chemistry-themed murder mystery that was set up as a series of videos. It was super cheesy and I loved it.)

I have 2-3 weeks left in all of my subjects. So close! Otherwise, I am completely caught up.

Will be spending the majority if not all of the holidays revising Unit 1 and studying ahead for Unit 2. I really want to start getting ready for Methods next year because I really struggled with math in Year 10 - I've been thinking of using Khan Academy to try and solidify some concepts, does anyone have advice there for people who find math quite difficult? (Does anyone else feel like they're horrible at math but are quite comfortable once the concept clicks?)

Thanks for reading. Be safe! ;D
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 11:18:05 pm »
+3
Hey there!!

I love LOVE your journal so much!! The way you write is so engaging and captivating and really hooks me right in each time, it has to be one of my favourites (and to think I only found it a few days ago, but no fear, I have caught right up)!!

I definitely feel once a concept in Methods sinks in, it feels amazing and I feel so much more confident and capable, it's just getting to the whole full understanding of everything which is hard.

I think you are very inspiring, truly, you are doing brilliantly across your subjects, and having to grapple with so many health issues too, you are very strong and your determination is wonderful to see.

I truly hope a time will come as soon as can be where you won't be restricted or burdened by that, and you'll be able to just go about life with more ease and less of a feeling of so much effort and energy is being expended, with everyone else taking things for granted all the time, but I'll be here following you along for now.

Shoot me a message anytime, I would love to get to know you more, I actually think we have a lot in common and I admire you a lot x

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2019, 10:09:19 am »
+1
Hey there!!

I love LOVE your journal so much!! The way you write is so engaging and captivating and really hooks me right in each time, it has to be one of my favourites (and to think I only found it a few days ago, but no fear, I have caught right up)!!

I definitely feel once a concept in Methods sinks in, it feels amazing and I feel so much more confident and capable, it's just getting to the whole full understanding of everything which is hard.

I think you are very inspiring, truly, you are doing brilliantly across your subjects, and having to grapple with so many health issues too, you are very strong and your determination is wonderful to see.

I truly hope a time will come as soon as can be where you won't be restricted or burdened by that, and you'll be able to just go about life with more ease and less of a feeling of so much effort and energy is being expended, with everyone else taking things for granted all the time, but I'll be here following you along for now.

Shoot me a message anytime, I would love to get to know you more, I actually think we have a lot in common and I admire you a lot x

Hi there mango8! ;D

First off: Oh my god. My HEART. This is so so sweet! Thank you so much for all of your kind words. I've just found your journal, and not to echo what you've said here, but I am so looking forward to hearing more from you on your own journey with all of your flare included! What I'd give to articulate half of what you have here, seriously, it means a lot to me, even if my.. er.. unimpressive vocabulary doesn't quite do justice to that.
I really appreciate that, and I'll try to remember not to be a stranger, hahaha! Same goes to you all the way, too; take care out there. Always here if you need to vent or chat :)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:54 am »
+5
May 30, Week 15, 2019
Taking complements: something school can't teach ya! (Certainly didn't teach me..)
Hi again, back with some more updates!

1 SAC left!
Psychology
PSYCH1 SAC3 (Research comparison) complete, and marked! By god, though, that was a JOURNEY. I found and read through 15 studies and only needed two, but couldn't find any that matched each other or that I could compare! Eventually I settled for a couple that I didn't think were perfect, but there's no such thing. I ended up having 13 other papers to cite, though, which was a blast - and oh, my gosh, you guys, I am so, so super happy about this. Turns out I 100%'d it - but aaalmost didn't. I missed a mark for not elaborating on ethics enough (easy fix next time!) but I got a bonus mark for submitting early. ;D I am stoked! This week we had a course evaluation test which I finished rather quickly, made a few really silly mistakes (6 months vs 6 years, etc.) and didn't do as well as I should have, but that test isn't graded. We're good!
Biology
BIO1 SAC3 (Adaptations, homeostasis, trophic levels, ecosystems) complete, and ohhhhhhhhh, I am so close to doing illegal, terrible things. So close. I missed ONE MARK. ONE!!!!
It was an online test and I finished it yesterday - completed it in the thick of a very nasty migraine and I am happy to have gotten as far as I did, but ohhhhh myyyy goodness. It was the difference between "decrease" and "further decrease". I am so mad. Next week (week 16 - final week!) is an optional written Biology exam.
Literature
LIT1 SAC3 (Film and Text comparison essay) is in the works and I'm going to be doing that once I post this! I want to rewrite the draft skeleton so that I don't confuse myself, but I also wanted to wait for my literature teacher to send some feedback on the draft.. giving her until 1pm, maybe, and if none, I'll just go ahead without. Week after appears to be a free week for catching up.
Chemistry
I got my marks back for the CHEM1 SAC2 and I did reasonably okay! Missed five or so marks, I think - I keep making little mistakes, which is very frustrating.. Kinda why I wish I was in a classroom environment for this kind of subject, I don't realize I've made the mistake until it's been made for like, a week, LOL. That being said, it's still my best subject! Somehow! Never done chemistry before so I'm surprised there, hahaha! - Optional self-corrected chemistry (Unit 1) exam to be done by Friday, so, naturally, I'm doing it on Friday. ;) Next week looks like a free week for catching up too.

Take care out there (and try to stay warm)!
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 12:55:08 pm »
+2
June 4, Week 16, 2019
AND WE'RE BACK! Here's a general update:
I was just spontaneously called online to supervise a class of year 9 science students and they were fantastic! I only had an hour's notice - oops - but that went well. Right now I have finished Unit 1 of all four of my subjects! There's an optional Biology exam which I'm going to be taking (if it gets here!), but it's nice to have that done! My next 3 weeks consist of the following:
1. Revise all of unit 1 Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, Literature, reread my notes, and just really solidify those concepts.
2. Start working ahead on unit 2 for all four subjects (preferably, I will have read the entirety of unit 2's textbook material - ideally, answered all practice questions too, but I might reserve that for the time I'm actually supposed to be studying!)
3. Get one week ahead on unit 2. I didn't have a backup week for unit 1 (which is unusual for me!) and I'd really like to have one next semester!
4. Start working on unit 1 Math Methods! I'm getting the textbook and I want to start working on that before next year. I don't want any surprises and I'd really like to keep it in the back of my mind.

;D Lots to do! Here's some not-school stuff:
.........(AOL startup noise) (justkidding) (notreally)
I'd really like to read a book sometime! Like, really. I need to work on my vocabulary. I know I keep saying that, but still. STILL. I'd love to start reading Gray's Anatomy too.
I also want to keep up on my art; I've been thinking of merging the two, however, and making a "visual glossary" of words that I find interesting with little pictures to accompany - speaking of, is that something I should put here? I wonder if it would be better digital or in one of my books. But if I do it digitally, I'd love to share!

Thanks guys! :)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)
Class of 2021

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:16 pm »
+2
I'd really like to read a book sometime!

Me too! I can't remember when I last read for pleasure and not the assigned texts which I grow to how shall I put it, not be a fan of by the end of the year. I think the way you write is lovely, you definitely have a flair. What kind of art do you like doing? And I second this visual glossary idea, it sounds wonderful, and I'd love to see it! You could make your own thread, it would be amazing!

Take care x