Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2019, 04:24:12 pm

Author Topic: A cat's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!  (Read 2135 times)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
  • Respect: +38
Re: catpacksnapback's VCE Journey (to medicine?)!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:44 pm »
+2
A somewhat needed study update, now - I spent my birthday on Saturday studying Literature. I've somehow fallen behind a bit in all of my work (again) but I should get there eventually!
Have a SAC test for Psychology to sit this week (Wednesday, perhaps). Some sort of SAC for Biology too. Still gotta write my draft for that literature SAC, which is also due this Friday. Chemistry teacher still doesn't respond to my questions so that's been a wonderfully mysterious subject.

Gonna be interesting to try and write using archaic vocabulary - I've hardly gotten used to regular vocabulary!
Wish me luck  :)
Panicking.

2018: Media 1/2
2019: Psychology 1/2, Biology 1/2, Literature 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
The Future (probably)
2020: Biology 3/4, Literature 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Math(?) 1/2
2021: Psychology 3/4, Math(?) 3/4, Health and Human Development 3/4
Goal: Survive (and Medicine, ideally!)

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:24 pm »
+2
Happy Birthday for Saturday!

How do you feel about your upcoming SACs for Psych and Bio?
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 01:46:56 pm »
+1
Happy Birthday for Saturday!

How do you feel about your upcoming SACs for Psych and Bio?

Aww, thanks MB_!

I'm a little worried about both, admittedly - usually I'm quite good with Psych, but I just have to make sure I've retained what I've learned. Just a matter of memory, fittingly!
Biology should be interesting, though, lots of little definitions I'll absolutely have to brush up on, but hopefully it'll go well.
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

MB_

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 02:11:48 pm »
+2
Aww, thanks MB_!

I'm a little worried about both, admittedly - usually I'm quite good with Psych, but I just have to make sure I've retained what I've learned. Just a matter of memory, fittingly!
Biology should be interesting, though, lots of little definitions I'll absolutely have to brush up on, but hopefully it'll go well.
Psych is quite funny like that as some of the content is very applicable when it comes to learning and remembering. Good luck for both!

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • I overthink everything...wait, do I? Yeah I do
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 08:59:13 pm »
+1

I am so sorry about all this news CP. I wanna just give you a massive hug. I don't know if my advice is going to be any good but don't worry about VCE right now. You need to prioritise yourself. I don't mean don't do your school work, but do your best. If your best is 2 questions completed on a 40 question math test then you should be proud, whatever happens, whatever you decide and whatever may become of this, you are strong. ok? And hey don't be ashamed of not doing VCE, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Whatever makes you feel best ok? But whatever you come to don't stress ok? I am here if you need to talk. Thinking of you xx

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +1556
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:44 pm »
+2
To find any study design you should go to the vcaa website btw.

I'm surprised that VSV isn't offering english language since I did eng lang through distance ed... wonder what's happened there. .

Best of luck with everything going on - a high ATAR is useful for opening up lots of paths but there's usually a few other ways to get to the same destination;  highschool certainly does not define you
Bri 'cause that's me & MT as I was previosuly known as miniturtle

VCE: Sciences, eng lang & methods
2018: Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) @ Monash

Leadership  ; Scientific Methodology ; Wanting to stay productive?
Psychology  Research Methods Practice

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 11:50:11 am »
+1
Thank you guys so, so much for the well wishes. They mean more than I can express, and I promise they're not lost on me - I'll be keeping all of this in mind. <3 I'm going to keep trucking on and whatever happens happens.

(And re: English Language, miniturtle, I have no idea either! I remember them offering it at some stage, too. I asked and they said they don't think it's coming back, either. Still really quite upset about that honestly. I'd love to learn the material on its own just in general!)
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 11:50:30 am »
+5
Just a little update about those SACs!

Chemistry - I got my results back on my first SAC! This one was a bit of a haze and I didn't fully get it, but somehow I got an A+. Kinda floored! 40/44 I believe. I wish I was as cognizant right now as I was when I finished that, but a little bit of good news doesn't hurt.

Psychology SAC was completed yesterday (in the form of a test) and honestly, I'm kinda worried about it. I had a LOT of trouble remembering things, little things like the names of philosophers and such, and questions about the nervous system stumped me a few times. Hopefully I did okay. Honestly not very confident at all there, even though Psych is my easiest/best subject. :( (By the way: I am so mad about the way some of the questions were phrased. The worst one was about interneurons. We were being asked what they were called by means of multiple choice and two of the options were "intraneurons" and "interneurons", but in previous questions in the test, they had used both intra- and inter-. What was that for?!)

Literature SAC is really worrying me. It took me 3 weeks to realize I have no idea what the material is. We're talking about social contexts and I have a feeling they forgot to include a resource or I missed something big. I have to write a draft and a letter.. hopefully I'll have that done by tonight?

And finally, Biology SAC shouldn't be too scary. 80 minute test that I'll do sometime today (going to take a break from Literature now to study before doing it) but of course, it's remembering little things and concepts that I really have to be careful with. Covering all 7 weeks of work so far, but most of it is related to reading data. (Keywords I need to focus on: Humidity, Chloroplast, Stomata, Xylem, Atria and Ventricles, Transport System, etcetera..) Edit: SAC complete! I loved most of the material and didn't find it too difficult, but I wish I could have given more comprehensive answers.

All in all - happy about Chemistry, terrified about Psychology. I'd have thought Chem would be my worst subject and Psych my best!
Right now I just really wish I had spent the Christmas holidays studying. What I'd give to have a stable foundation! At least I know for next year, and the upcoming(?) mid-term holidays will be spent catching up. I love the study designs (thank you miniturtle!) and I think they'll be my secret weapon.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:40:53 pm by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

MB_

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »
+2
Nice work on your Bio SAC and congrats on your Chem SAC result! It can be quite frustrating when questions are vague or poorly worded but try not too dwell on it too much and hopefully things turn out okay for Psych.

Also, try not to spend too much time studying over your break as you've earned the time to rest.

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 07:42:57 am »
+4
Nice work on your Bio SAC and congrats on your Chem SAC result! It can be quite frustrating when questions are vague or poorly worded but try not too dwell on it too much and hopefully things turn out okay for Psych.

Also, try not to spend too much time studying over your break as you've earned the time to rest.

Thanks again MB_! ;D I appreciate that. Definitely fingers crossed. May be able to chat with my Biology teacher about the SAC at the lab day today..
(And I'll try! There are just so many things I'd love to read up on but I'm worried about burnout (and still unsure if I am capable of it LOL!) - but thank you.)

...If I may share a little random thought on the side here (on the bottom rather!) I've noticed that I keep studying the wrong thing(s). In reading some more ATARnotes threads (whileI'mmeanttobestudying), I've found that people say the jacaranda books - aka 3/4 of my subjects' material - include a lot of potentially unnecessary detail. And that makes sense!
I noticed (during my Psych test, most - they gave us key terms and keywords for the Biology one so I was able to focus a bit better) that I was remembering little details that weren't really important, and missing (equally little) details that were.

Hhhooowever, I can't complain, because I love it. I adore Biology and Psychology to the ends of the earth, and if you ask me to define ventricles and atria, I'm going to do that, and, like a twat, spend 4 unnecessary hours researching sinus rhythm and irregularities in the heart too. (While I'm meant to be doing Literature.) However.. now I'm worrying that my progress will suffer. Chemistry has more rules, and I don't find it incredibly fascinating, so could that be why I did well in the SAC?

-Granted, I should add that researching the heart in as much depth as I did ended up serving me well. I came to a few pretty important realizations that I hadn't inferred from our material (e.g. the inferior vena cava IS attached to the right atrium (NOT the right ventricle), it's just a weird angle and hard to show in most diagrams) and the material REALLY stuck for that reason. So I guess that's a good thing..?

This is all silly, I've-been-awake-since-3-don't-ask speculation regarding my other two SAC results, by the way, but if my performance turns out to be weaker than what I was hoping for, I might have to reign in my curiosity! Maybe I can leave this ramble on the note of a question to anyone reading: is there such a thing as too much curiosity? Too much interest? Did/do you have any subjects that you can relate this to?

Thank you.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:44:44 am by catpacksnapback »
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 09:34:32 pm »
+2
Interim update!

Week 9 is the final week of Term 1, and we're on week 8. I'm up to date in Biology and Psychology, but I'm a bit behind in Literature and way behind in Chemistry (week 4). I'm not too worried, but this is something worth worrying about next year! Hopefully pre-studying will eliminate some of that uncertainty. I get the feeling these upcoming holidays are going to be very Chemistry themed!

I attended a lab practical day on Monday and that was a blast! I've always liked the lab environment, but I always feel guilty when all of the questions I've been accumulating hit the teacher. Only 4 other students attended (so few for such a big subject, isn't it?) and I made them laugh a bit (yes - virtual school has class clowns!) which always makes me happy.
My biology teacher really is lovely and I owe her my life (pun intended) for all of her assistance so far this year! Turns out we have a SAC in Week 9 which I was totally unaware of, but I ended up finishing the entire practical component yesterday and put together all of my data for it today. Feels good to get things done!

Next on the list is wrangling some more literature. I have elicited my first "please stop worrying about it and just do the SAC" response from a teacher. Ergo, nothing has changed! I'll stop putting this off and hopefully have the draft and the final finished tomorrow - just need to reread the novella to get in the groove for the vocabulary/ I'll be writing from the perspective of the author (R.L. Stevenson) (or, if I change my mind at the last minute, the protagonist's (Mr. Utterson)) which is going to be an interesting challenge, but I always find that the biggest problem is having too much material for the word limit.

Anyhow! Getting tired and will hopefully have this week's Psych work submitted in the next hour (they threw in a "surprise we didn't tell you about this" question again), then I'll be in bed.

Stay safe lovely people, thanks for reading!
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

Macrophagee

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 09:53:48 pm »
+3
Hey
Good to see you're enjoying bio and psych, bio was one of my favourite subjects to study for as well (esp immunity)!
I don't think there can be too much interest since being interested helps you remember large chunks of material and stay motivated when times are tough...but I guess if you're neglecting the essential parts of the study design then that could be a problem.
Year 11:Biology[40] Further[37]
Year 12: English[] Chemistry[] Methods[] Spesh[] Health and Human Development[]

catpacksnapback

• Forum Regular
  • The average housecat.
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 06:08:45 pm »
+6
I have just registered for the 1/2 Biology, 1/2 Chemistry, and UCAT/Getting Into Medicine ATARNotes holiday lectures! So stoked.
(For anyone curious - yes, I'm still stalling on the Literature SAC. Ended up taking a collective 27 pages of notes for it (FOR AN 800 WORD ESSAY!!!) purely because of my crappy memory. Hopefully doctor tomorrow will have some ideas about that!)

Hey
Good to see you're enjoying bio and psych, bio was one of my favourite subjects to study for as well (esp immunity)!
I don't think there can be too much interest since being interested helps you remember large chunks of material and stay motivated when times are tough...but I guess if you're neglecting the essential parts of the study design then that could be a problem.

And hi there Macrophagee! :D
So glad I'm not alone there, and I'm really looking forward to studying the immune system in more detail! I have a feeling this is going to be something I should study on my own before we get into it for the coursework. 'Should have a look at what unit that's in.. I've totally forgotten.
Thank you for your input there! I like to think I'm not skipping things over but I am definitely missing little things (e.g. greek philosophers in my Psych SAC) that hopefully won't be too detrimental overall. D:
Panicking.

The Future (probably)

Ionic Doc

• Trendsetter
  • Dream Big - Achieve Bigger 🥳
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 08:48:16 pm »
+2
I have just registered for the 1/2 Biology, 1/2 Chemistry, and UCAT/Getting Into Medicine ATARNotes holiday lectures! So stoked.

see u there  ;)
"procrastination kills time but murders your success"
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2019 -   Psychology ~ will settle for a 38+
2020 - HHD ⎸Chemistry ⎸Methods ⎸Further ⎸English Language
UCAT: /???/ ~ 85+
ATAR: /???/ ~ 90+
Course: Bachelor of Biomedical Science or Biomedicine at UoM or Monash -
DREAM JOB/ CAREER
MEDICINE or LAW

Macrophagee

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »
+1
Hey
I forgot to mention that immunity is in unit 3 AOS 2
Year 11:Biology[40] Further[37]
Year 12: English[] Chemistry[] Methods[] Spesh[] Health and Human Development[]