Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:32:49 am

Author Topic: English Advanced 2019  (Read 973 times)

YasmineK

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English Advanced 2019
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:16:45 am »
i got my mark back for my first English Advanced Assessment and i did...shit. i got a band 3...and im aiming for a band 6 at the end of the year. i don't know why i did so horribly. is it still possible for me to get that band 6 or should i aim for someth
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:50:26 am by jamonwindeyer »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:17:47 pm »
i got my mark back for my first English Advanced Assessment and i did...shit. i got a band 3...and im aiming for a band 6 at the end of the year. i don't know why i did so horribly. is it still possible for me to get that band 6 or should i aim for someth

Hey, Yasmine!

I feel like first assessment tasks aren’t necessarily the best measure of how well a student will perform in the actual HSC. There are definitely success stories of people getting high Band 5’s and even Band 6’s out there but it is more a matter of ranking. If you’re ranking okay, then the mark itself won’t affect your performance as much as you think. You would need to work hard to pull up your rank but the mark is not that large at all in how it’ll contribute to your final mark.

The best approach to take is to take on board your teacher’s feedback and develop a way to study that will suit English best for you. How I studied for Advanced was vastly different to my other subjects so you just need to find what works best for you  :) What do you find yourself struggling most with the subject and where would you like to focus on improving? This can help me see what might work best for you  :)

My main point is not to be disheartened. It definitely won’t represent what your final performance will turn out to be if you work to improve it now  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »
+1

Definitely keep aiming for your Band 6! In my first English Advanced Assessment task I got 67%. However, I persisted through the year and came out with a 90 in the HSC!

Anything is possible ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:18:46 pm »
+2
Don't take bad marks to heart. But this doesn't mean you should completely disregard it! By all means learn from your mistakes, and use it as motivation to try harder, improve and achieve your personal best. And like what has already been said, one mark will NOT determine your final end result. And I believe this because this is what happened to me in Year 11 (I started out with average marks around 60% and ended up ranking first in my cohort). And plus the good thing is that for most subjects, the first assessment is weighted the lowest and teachers usually take into account that this was your FIRST EVER HSC assessment task. I truely believe there is still so much time for you to improve, keeping persisting and eventually, come out on top! :)

It takes time to move on from a bad mark, even I struggle sometimes. So just acknowledge the mistakes and the marks lost, and use this as a drive to improve for the better! The HSC is one heck of a rollercoaster but you will eventually reach a stop and you won't have to worry about it all after its done. :)
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study