Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 13, 2019, 06:58:16 am

Author Topic: What do I do?  (Read 572 times)  Share 

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Fresh Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Respect: 0
What do I do?
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:34 am »
Hi so I need a LOT of advice in terms of trying to navigate Monash administrative bodies and finding courses at Monash.
*This is gonna be all over the place and long but I don't know where else to go to (i've called monash connect, trust me). Also I'm sorry in advance if I offend any Monash die-hard arts/law fans or Monash Connect employees...

The context:

I'll give a bit of context first- I got a 99 ATAR in 2017 and was pushed into doing a Law/Arts degree due to my ATAR. I ended up having to take a withdrawal incomplete in Semester One and have subsequently deferred my studies until 2020 due to severe medical reasons. After a lot of thinking and slowly regaining my health, I have decided that I need to take a completely different career direction- I had an extremely negative experience doing law/arts and i want to find a course that is less lax in hours so I'm able to make more connections with people and am more intellectually challenged/interested (I think I just had a personality clash with the arts/law course!).
At the moment, my first preference would be Physiotherapy at the Monash Peninsula Campus (I found the Clayton Campus really easy to get lost in and I think I would be more suited to a smaller campus) and am also looking along the Psychology line- in an ideal world (which of course never exists) I would love to be able to do both but I'm not sure if this is even an option. I'm not certain on doing these courses at all but I think I just need to get out of the law/arts bubble. 
To make things even more complicated I don't even have the pre-requisites for physio- whilst I have the ATAR, I didn't do science in VCE. Upon talking to the Monash Connect people which involved getting hung up on several occasions, left on hold for over 20 minutes and yelled at for being indecisive, I understand that the only way in which I can get into Physio is to do 1 full year study of a Bachelor of Science (or 4 single units) at Monash Clayton and get a 70% average in all my units (which is extremely difficult and competitive). Is this accurate? Are there any other options to get into physio?
As you can probably see I'm a little on the fence about going into a Bachelor of Science at the Monash Clayton campus- from what I've heard from others in science courses its similar to arts in that its such a generalist course and its so easy to get lost in the system, there's low attendance hours etc. Can you do a bachelor of science all from home or at a different campus?
I'm petrified of having another horrible experience at Monash Clayton...the idea of going back makes me physically ill but if its the only option to get into a less generalist, more specific degree I'll do it.

1. Is there ANYONE at Monash who I could talk to face to face and get some answers to how I can plan a course transfer? I understand in the age of technology most people find avoiding social contact easier, but I am still very confused...the people at Monash Connect refused to meet with me in person (because apparently they only talk to people over the phone) and apparently I'm also not allowed to talk to the Science Advisory Body (to get course advice) because I'm not currently enrolled in the course.
2. Should I talk to Careers Connect? Would they be able to help me with Monash course advice and careers advice?
3. Has anyone had experience with the disability support services at Monash? What do they entitle you and what can they help you with?
4. How do you navigate the Monash website? Can't find any information on course transfers!!!!
5. Should I just change unis all together? lol

If you've got to this point, thank you for reading this and hopefully you can understand/sympathise/laugh at my situation.
Peace and love x
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:01:24 pm by arimit »


  • Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 3663
  • Respect: +889
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:55 pm »
For the bachelor of science I think the only campus in Australia is the clayton campus (a location outside of AUS is the malaysia campus).

To get into the bachelor of physiotherapy you can transfer from the bachelor of science and this isn't too uncommon. I know people in the past have only had averages on the lower side of the 70s and gotten a place.

I think for science you should be able to choose your units so that you don't have "lax" hours. Something like 24 hours a week would be possible but lectures wouldn't always be compulsory. However, for physio/psych lectures wouldn't always be compulsory too.


  • Forum Leader
  • ****
  • Posts: 635
  • Respect: +318
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:37:30 pm »
Hey there.

With regards to course transfers, you can read about it here: https://www.monash.edu/medicine/spahc/physio/prospective-students/pathways-into-physiotherapy

In other words, if you want to transfer into Physiotherapy, youíll need to complete 48 credit points (8 units) of any degree and achieve at least 70% in your studies.

I'm petrified of having another horrible experience at Monash Clayton...the idea of going back makes me physically ill but if its the only option to get into a less generalist, more specific degree I'll do it.
I totally understand this feeling. A change of environment might be good for you. If you donít want to return to Monash, have you considered other universities? A quick Google search tells me ACU offers a Bachelor of Physiotherapy with Honours, and La Trobe offers a Bachelor of Applied Science/Master of Physiotherapy Practice degree. I canít comment on either of these courses but perhaps take a look and see if theyíre a good fit for you?

You can also read about what services are offered by the Disability Support Services at Monash here: https://www.monash.edu/disability/services-for-students#tabs__1335666-02

Really sorry to hear about your experience and best of luck with your decision. :)


  • Fresh Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Respect: 0
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:55:14 pm »
@Sine @Coffee thank you both so much! I can't tell you how valuable it is to actually get some answers !


  • VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 3111
  • Respect: +2222
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:59 pm »
Quick answer as I'm on mobile but I'm doing physio at Monash and I have experience with disability support services.

As Coffee has said, there are other courses that offer physio - ACU in Ballarat and La Trobe in Bundoora and Bendigo. You can also go to CSU if you're willing to move to Albury.
If you're looking for something with plenty of contact hours, physio is great. You're at uni 5 days a week the majority of the time and the peninsula campus is awesome - it's peaceful and there's less people :)

I've found my experience with disability support services to be nothing but positive and helpful. It's super easy to register for them (just need to take the forms to your doctor, get them to sign/fill it out then organise an appointment with one of the DSS advisors on campus).
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

Professor Polonsky

  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *****
  • Posts: 1154
  • Respect: +93
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 04:34:13 pm »
A lot of the big generalist degrees can feel isolating. I think some other courses have more tight-knit cohorts, e.g. eng where people do the same units at about the same time for quite a few years. But in arts/law/commerce, classes probably aren't the best route to socialisation. I think a lot of people's experiences align with yours. I think the only solution is not to take making friends at uni for granted, and that you actively have to seek those opportunities. Some people might seamlessly find themselves in a friendship group as soon as uni starts, others won't - and I think often it's just luck.

The smaller campuses can be more tight-knit, but they might be so small and out of the way that literally nothing happens there, people go to uni and head home. I've heard both things from people.

With regards to uni admin, a lot of stuff does seem to be moved to ask.monash and what not, but try not to be afraid to just turn up to faculty student services and ask quesitons - worst that might happen is they'll turn you away or be unhelpful.

Good luck. :)