Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 18, 2019, 08:44:45 am

Author Topic: The Adventures of VCE | whys' journal  (Read 2811 times)

whys

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +96
Re: The Adventures of VCE | whys' journal
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 06:22:04 pm »
+7
18/07
This is a very quick update I'm making because I'm in a super good mood and I want to share it! I got my english outcome back (our creative essay) and I got full marks on it! I mean I was TOTALLY not expecting this and I'm super happy and I told my mum and she was super happy too! Usually she's not as enthusiastic, getting a good score and telling her would usually yield something like 'oh, that's good' and that's all, but this time round she was very proud. I even made brownies to celebrate :D. Apart from that, I still have to get my psych sac back that I did last term. It was the poster sac. I really hope our teacher has marked them and will give them to us soon! I'm very nervous (and eager!) to get it back, and I really hope I did well. That's all folks! Have a great night :)

EDIT; I FORGOT TO MENTION I WATCHED THE LION KING LIVE ACTION YESTERDAY OH MY GOD
I cried throughout the whole thing - it was my childhood oh man, and seeing it brought to life was so nostalgic and literally everyone burst into tears when Mufasa died.I do have a few things I was disappointed with in the movie, but I can definitely ignore that because it brought me back to my childhood (even though it didn't beat the cartoon haha, the cartoon is the og). It was 100% worth it, and I'm so glad they made a live action of the lion king. I can't wait to buy it on DVD so I can watch it 24/7 like I used to do with the cartoon when I was younger. I literally have every dialogue memorised and the original lion king will always be my favourite movie of all time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:32:13 pm by whys »
𝘉𝘦 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘭 𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦.

⤹ 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿: 𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩 | 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘥
⤹ 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶: 𝘦𝘯𝘨 | 𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘥𝘴 | 𝘣𝘪𝘰 | 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘮

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Leader
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 07:12:04 pm »
+3
Fantastic to hear! Earned through lots of hard work, I'm sure! Also, yum, BROWNIES!!!!
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1nik

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »
+8
28/07
Slowly but surely getting through all that homework. I have a psych sac in just over a week (8 days) and I still haven't made notes for any of the assessable topics haha whoops. I'll get to that today, though. I also forgot to mention this earlier, but I've been working through unit 4 chem work. This is partially because we just did organic chemistry and polymers at school, and it's my favourite topic in chem. I literally leapt for joy when I realised basically all of unit 4 is organic chemistry. I've been finding the unit super enjoyable, and I've mostly been doing it to extend my learning and spice up the boring limitations of 1/2 chem. Hmmmm, what else.... we still haven't gotten back our poster sac for psych which we did LAST TERM. The teacher said someone still hasn't done the sac. We've all been frustrated because everyone wants it back, and the suspense has been killing us so much. I also need to collect my food studies sac from my teacher, so probably on monday. I really hope I did well. The next sac is just an essay, so that won't be too bad (hopefully). Just 4 more sacs to go for the year, and then obviously the outcomes from my 1/2 subjects. Methods has been weirdly enjoyable, and english is the only one that's boring me the most. I can't wait for next year where we get to study more interesting texts.

I need to start looking at some practice ucat questions, but procrastination seems to be on to me today. I also played quite a bit of video games this weekend which needs to stop. I shouldn't be wasting precious study time playing video games. I restricted myself to only play on the holidays and long weekends, but guess who broke that restriction. Aside from my horrible procrastinating habits, I've baked a lot these weeks and it's been super fun. This is totally unrelated, but I can't wait for next year because I get 20 studies a fortnight (including in-class studies). That's basically 20 free hours of study per fortnight that I'm not doing at home (realistically around 17 hours, I know I'll probably waste some :-[). Imagine having that many studies. I could leave school early or go to school late depending on when in the day they are. I should probably stop rambling and get back to some study.

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 12:08:15 pm »
+6
31/07
I don't have school today. I'm hoping to finalise my subject selections and submit them today (year 11's do them online).
What I need to get done today:
- Finish writing all my notes for chapter 8,9 and 10 (psych)
- Prepare for the chem test
- Look at some ucat questions
- Research for food studies sac
- Make quizlets for ch8, 9 and 10 (psych)
- Clean my room
- Read minefields and miniskirts
- Catch up in methods

I hope I can finish everything because I won't have much time tomorrow to do any work, so I gotta be ready for the chem test on friday :o. I'm aiming for 100% on my psych sac and my food studies sac, and I really hope I can achieve that. I'm so glad we have a day off today so I can catch up on all my work and get on track. Our bio test is in 3 weeks, so I have ages to prep for that. I hope I can take a look at some ucat questions to familiarise myself with the structure and stuff. Also hoping to read the atarnotes guide to the ucat, which I bought during the term 2 holidays. If I finish all my set work today, I'm going to reward myself by playing a video game for half an hour :D. Hopefully, all goes well!

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 02:40:30 pm »
+4
4/08
I just came back from the monash open day! I guess I went there to see the info sesh on medicine (which I did), but my friend and I got sidetracked and just went looking around for all the free food after. We also had a bit of trouble finding our way around the university, but were helped by my prior knowledge of the uni's layout and the helpers there. All in all, it was a great time, especially because we had ice cream at the end. I met a lot of my friends there too, which was really great, and made new friends. But now, I really have to sit myself down and get to work, because I have my psych sac tomorrow on consciousness, sleep and sleep disturbances. I think this is the topic I'm the worst at out of all the topics we have done so far, which sucks for me. I'm super nervous for the sac and I really hope I can do well. This sac will be the death of me :'(

P.S. we won a bio quiz at monash and got chocolate and an 'i love biology' pin which is now on my school blazer, along with my 'i love science' pin haha.

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Leader
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
+1
4/08
I just came back from the monash open day! I guess I went there to see the info sesh on medicine (which I did), but my friend and I got sidetracked and just went looking around for all the free food after. We also had a bit of trouble finding our way around the university, but were helped by my prior knowledge of the uni's layout and the helpers there. All in all, it was a great time, especially because we had ice cream at the end. I met a lot of my friends there too, which was really great, and made new friends. But now, I really have to sit myself down and get to work, because I have my psych sac tomorrow on consciousness, sleep and sleep disturbances. I think this is the topic I'm the worst at out of all the topics we have done so far, which sucks for me. I'm super nervous for the sac and I really hope I can do well. This sac will be the death of me :'(

P.S. we won a bio quiz at monash and got chocolate and an 'i love biology' pin which is now on my school blazer, along with my 'i love science' pin haha.

Sounds like you had fun! I too, went to an Open Day today. I was looking for one thing but ended up following the free food!

I won a LaTrobe beanie and some headphones for doing some quizzes. Free things, amirite!

What did they talk about at the med session? Did you find it useful?
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1nik

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 10:22:02 pm »
+2
Sounds like you had fun! I too, went to an Open Day today. I was looking for one thing but ended up following the free food!

I won a LaTrobe beanie and some headphones for doing some quizzes. Free things, amirite!

What did they talk about at the med session? Did you find it useful?

Free things are the best always! The med sesh was alright, most of the stuff they said was stuff I already knew, like prerequisites and what scores you need to get in. They had med students talk to us about their experiences as well, but there wasn't any new info I got from it. It was a good refresher on how hard I need to work though!

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2019, 05:22:42 pm »
+4
7/08
Hmm... today was an interesting day. I had a mental breakdown at school because we got our psych sacs back from last term and I didn't do well on it, like AT ALL and other people got full marks on it and it was just very sad lol because I tried really hard for that sac. Oh well, goodbye 45+ study score. I couldn't even focus during my english assessment today because I was just thinking about how bad I did for that sac and yeah I basically wasted away like 20 minutes of the period in english. I also have the continuation of the assessment tomorrow, and we have to finish it by tomorrow, so I guess I'm just going to bs it and hope it turns out decent. I also have a sac for food studies on friday, which is an essay. I just don't think there's any point anymore, I haven't been able to concentrate at all at home. I'm just going to try to get psych and food studies done, and maybe I'll do methods and chem and bio another day. Everything has been going downhill so I hope I can get 100% on the food studies sac and get at least 90% on the methods test.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2019, 05:53:04 pm »
+4
7/08
Hmm... today was an interesting day. I had a mental breakdown at school because we got our psych sacs back from last term and I didn't do well on it, like AT ALL and other people got full marks on it
Getting a bad mark sucks. Especially when you've put your heart and your soul into studying for it. You probably still feel bitter about your mark but you shouldn't compare yourself to others. You should focus on doing YOUR best, not being the best. Although I'm not the most expereinced person to give advice, I think it's definitely possible for you to still get a 45+. One mark on one Sac isn't going to make or break your study score. You can pick yourself up and fuel this dissapointment into working harder for the next Sac. Maybe ask your teacher to go through your Sac with you to see where you lost marks so you don't make the same mistakes for next time.

As to not being able to concentrate in your assessment becuase you were so disappointed about your Psych score, don't worry. That happened to me after I had a LOTE speech and I was not prepared at all. Like 30 mins after, I had another Exam and let's just say I spent a fair bit of time during that exam thinking about the LOTE speech.
Life happens.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:55:29 pm by Snow Leopard »
Feeling unmotivated? Check out some quotes here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=186285.0

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 05:04:40 pm »
+1
Getting a bad mark sucks. Especially when you've put your heart and your soul into studying for it. You probably still feel bitter about your mark but you shouldn't compare yourself to others. You should focus on doing YOUR best, not being the best. Although I'm not the most expereinced person to give advice, I think it's definitely possible for you to still get a 45+. One mark on one Sac isn't going to make or break your study score. You can pick yourself up and fuel this dissapointment into working harder for the next Sac. Maybe ask your teacher to go through your Sac with you to see where you lost marks so you don't make the same mistakes for next time.

As to not being able to concentrate in your assessment becuase you were so disappointed about your Psych score, don't worry. That happened to me after I had a LOTE speech and I was not prepared at all. Like 30 mins after, I had another Exam and let's just say I spent a fair bit of time during that exam thinking about the LOTE speech.
Life happens.

Thanks for this. I feel so much better about it and I've regained my confidence. Life does happen.

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »
+6
Hellooo friends :D
Today was pretty empty because more than half of my friends were away at the psych 1/2 excursion, so yeah the school felt pretty empty overall. I had my food studies sac last period, which was scary. We had it in the sac room, which is supervised by a chosen teacher. The teacher was someone almost everyone is scared of, so all throughout writing the essay for my sac, I really wanted to know how much time I had left because I was scared I wouldn't finish in time. I never ended up asking him but I finished a few minutes before he said '5 minutes left' so I had time to quickly read over my essay. My hand felt like it would break after though haha, I'm always the person that writes so fast it feels like my hand is flying on paper. It's great to write that fast, but my handwriting gets pretty messy (at least it's legible).
What I've really been wanting to say is, ONLY 2 SACS LEFT FOR THE YEAR!!!!! woo! I'm so so so glad I only have 2 more, one for psych and one for food studies. I guess that means exams are getting closer but I'm going to keep exams at the very back of my mind until I actually have to start preparing full-on. Our next sac for psych is the one on mental health and phobias, so that's pretty interesting. I've already got a pretty good understanding because I went to the atarnotes psych lecture, so I'm ahead 8). Feels like a weight has been taken off my back after the sac today.

Other things
I've always wanted a dog ever since I was young. My dream came true when we fostered a little black labrador puppy, Punter. He was the sweetest and good-est boy ever. I miss him though :'(. He's now in the Northern Territory doing some great sniffer dog stuff so I'm very very proud to call him my dog! I know this is pretty irrelevant but I've really been missing my boy lately. Hopefully after VCE I can get another dog, this time one I can keep forever! I would love a miniature poodle! I mean LOOK at this cutie.

I also want to set myself a goal of writing a story a day in my native language. This isn't very VCE related so I've included it in the spoiler. I think culture is very important and it is something I never want to lose, especially my mother tongue. I need to keep in touch with the language before I forget it completely. I think the last time I read a book in my language was like a year ago. So my goal for the year is to write a story a week, or even just something shorter. I remember there used to be a time where I was more proficient in my native tongue than English. I mean I can speak it very well, but I think my reading and writing definitely needs to improve.

I've also been writing my psych notes, and I'm almost done for wherever we are up to right now :P. I have the entire weekend to finish them though. It feels great to have the entire weekend NOT dedicated to studying mostly for a sac or test. Oh wait, the methods test and bio test is coming up. That's alright, I still have time and I'm definitely going to procrastinate for as long as I can! I've also been spending an unhealthy amount of time on the atar calculator, but I guess that was bound to happen some day. I've been plugging in study scores and seeing what I need to get my dream atar. One of my overall goals is to get a 50 in at least one subject, and I know that's a very bold goal that's hard to achieve but I really want to try - I would be so happy if I ended up ever getting a 50 in anything because it just seems so impossible lately. Maybe if I can get 100% on my next food studies sac and IF I get 100% on the food sac I just did, I might have a chance at a 50 if I also ace the exam. Buttttttttt that's very unlikely, so I guess I'll just have to see what my study scores turn out to be at the end of the year. I'm super nervous even thinking about it, but instead of studying even harder I still procrastinate by watching video game gameplays on youtube. Riperoni.

whys

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2019, 05:24:57 pm »
+6
Posting again because we LOVE procrastination, don't we?
I basically had all studies today because half the teachers were away. lol. I am also currently dying inside from the stress of exams coming up, which I try my best to ignore whenever I get the chance.
This is me @ exams right now:

The point is, EXAMS ARE COMING and I'm having my little freak moment. Other than that, I'm very worried about my study habits, which are slowly declining due to slowly burning out (already?!) so I need to keep everything together (and I'm not even in year 12 yet :o). I have St John today so that's always something to look forward to. I have a ton of English homework, so that's great, but I'm also ahead in psych which I'm happy about. I feel like going ahead isn't always the best bet for me though, because when I'm ahead I have nothing to do in class so I just sit there and waste time because I've already done all the work. So I need to get on top of English, then focus on methods because we have our circular functions test next week(!). I'm honestly going to cry with joy when this year ends so I finally have summer holidays to get myself together and ready for the year ahead. So other than thinking about exams, I have also purchased my first ucat resource. Can we get a hip hip hooray for my productivity! I'm hopefully going to start looking at it today. I have exactly one hour before I have to be in the car and on my way to St John, so today's question is: "Can whys finish her English homework, complete some ucat practice questions, AND finish exercise 14K for methods within an hour?" I guess we'll find out on the next episode of 'The Adventures of VCE'!