FREE lectures this September + October | HSC Head Start + Exam Revision: book here | QCE Head Start: book here | VCE Exam Revision: book here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 21, 2019, 06:20:53 am

Author Topic: Counting to 20 and other unlikely adventures  (Read 2355 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +6191
Re: Counting to 20 and other unlikely adventures
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2019, 07:24:08 pm »
+3
There he is!

Do you think you're more or less likely to pursue Science after the panel, or neither?
One wug.

Erutepa

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • )(
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2019, 08:04:05 pm »
+3
There he is!

Do you think you're more or less likely to pursue Science after the panel, or neither?
THERE I AM!
EVERYDAY

I don't think it changed the likely-hood of me following science - I was as certain as I could be about wanting to do science at uni already. However, it did give me some additional insight into more specifics as to what studying science will be like in terms of the degree structure and what different subjects are like to do.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 102 (with a dapper koala)
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

Erutepa

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • )(
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 08:43:33 pm »
+9
Hi.
Now, I know what you whippersnappers are thinking – and you better stop with it now. I know its been a colander month and a half since I last posted here, but I have good reason: Time Dilation… You see, I have been doing a lot more running around a track recently and what with all the acceleration and how fast I run I have been experiencing time much slower than y’all. Its really only been one week for me so if you think about it, I’m actually quite punctual with this journal post… Its honestly just simple general relativity.
But boy has a lot of stuff happened since my last journal entry, most of which I have probably 5gotten (you see, not only did I just here use a number in a word (how radical haha wow so cool) but I used a different number to what would make sense (how extra radical hehe wow so coolest)). Ill try me best to see if I can pull out all the things from the old noggin.

Psychology
Psychology has been going strong recently. A little while ago we finished all of the year’s content and just this Monday we had out second to last SAC. I think my SAC average is sitting close to 98% so I am really quite happy with that and think psychology might end up being a really high scoring subject for me. I am most certainly glad I ended up making the last-minute change into it haha.
Our last SAC left is the EPI which our teacher is making us do over the next 4 weeks or so. The EPI’s for chemistry, physics and biology that I have already done were all completed in a couple weeks with (if I am being honest) the actual poster being written mostly the couple nights before. But for psychology, our teacher is making us hand in different segments each week and marking them, with these marks going to the total SAC mark. I think the total mark we’re getting is out of 110 marks with planning and work leading up to the actual poster being worth far more marks than the actual poster submitted. I’m not sure that I like this approach and would prefer the simpler task that allows a bit more freedom, but its not too bad. Has anyone else found this with their own psych EPI?

Chemistry
Along with Psych, Chemistry is my other best subject this year. My average SAC mark is somewhere near 98% along with psych, but most importantly I just enjoy the content (not as much as bio though ;( ). We have managed to finish chem content a few weeks back as well and just did the last SAC on Wednesday (yesterday) and I think I did the best I could possibly do (I am really hoping for 100%). Since finishing the content, I had gotten stuck into the practice exams and have completed the 2016,2015 and 2014 Chem exams so far. I haven’t done any this week but I blame that on the few SACs we’ve had. For the exams that I have done though, I have gone pretty well in them, but have identified plenty of small areas I need to revise and strengthen. Hopefully I can get stuck back into some practice exams either over the weekend or next week.

Physics
Physics is going alright at the moment. My SAC marks aren’t as good as the psych and chem but I think there floating around low to mid 90’s and I am still towards the top end of the class. I think the core reason behind my lower marks is my lack of engagement by the content. No offense physics, but you’re just not as interesting as chemistry.
At the moment, we are just getting through the last bit of content and will be looking to only just finish unit 4 by the time our practice exams come along. I don’t think I an awfully devoted fan to leaving myself no time to revise, so I think I may try to finish the content early – perhaps this weekend.

Maths
Methods is going along much the same as physics, but my SAC marks are a bit lower still. We’ve had only 2 SACs this entire year and I’ve got 90% on both of them and that has placed me in the top few in the class. We’ve almost gotten through the last of probability content and I’ve started making my bound reference. I figure if I can get it done soonish, I can use it with all my practice exams and become quite good at navigating it in the case I need to look anything up quickly.

English
English is picking up for me. I still don’t love it for the simple reason that writing timed essays is not a of any love for me, but I do find enjoyment in the texts themselves. We are nearing the end of our comparative study between I am Malala and Made in Dagenham with the SAC next week on Thursday. I think my essay writing skills have picked up recently and I am getting better at writing to time. My English teacher surprised me the other day when she told me in a one-to-one conference that she thinks I am in the territory of a 41-42 study score in English (this was beyond my hopeful scores so hopefully she’s not pulling some epic pranks).

General Exam thoughts, cause hey… they ain’t too far away
I’m not to stressed about exams atm – I think doing bio last year really has helped in that regard. I am just honestly looking forward to getting them done so that I can move on to the next stages of my life. Maybe Stress with come soon, but hopefully I can keep it undercontroll and allow myself to perform well in exams.
Much like I have already done for chemistry, I would really like to start doing practice exams soon for all my other subjects. For the moment, I would like to start my doing one exam per subject every week, but as classes essentially turn into free revision classes I might try to step it up to 2 per week. Hopefully this will serve me well in preparation for exams.
Ultimately I am hoping to get as high an ATAR and Possible. I don’t really need a amazing ATAR for doing and undergraduate science degree, least not higher 90’s, but I would really like to get up in the high 90’s to aid myself to tutor next year if I wanted to (something which is becoming increasingly appealing to me).

Personal Life
My life outside of school has been going on much the same as always. I still run 5 times a week and continue to compete here and there. I am continuing to avoid reading books despite my continual intentions to do otherwise and I find myself hanging out with Poet every weekend (which is very nice). I have, unfortunately been neglecting coding through and really ought to make some more progress in that especially since I was finding it so fun while I was doing it.

Well That should be all folks. Sorry it was a bit long – a lot has happened in the last month and a half week since I posted. I must now run off to make sure no one is accusing me of being a whendog do you get it! Like werewolf but like different! Hahhahsdnbfsjhdbf!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:49:38 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 102 (with a dapper koala)
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

turinturambar

• Trendsetter
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2019, 01:55:36 am »
+3
Time Dilation… You see, I have been doing a lot more running around a track recently and what with all the acceleration and how fast I run I have been experiencing time much slower than y’all. Its really only been one week for me so if you think about it, I’m actually quite punctual with this journal post… Its honestly just simple general relativity.

How about you keep it simple: Surely the time dilation has something to do with an apeture? :P
And I'm not sure that general relativity is ever simple, though special relativity might be.

the actual poster being written mostly the couple nights before

The best kind. Nothing like the night before to really focus the mind, right?
In western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.