Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 20, 2019, 03:40:01 am

Author Topic: PF's uni journal  (Read 354 times)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Pig puns are really boaring.
  • Respect: +1602
PF's uni journal
« on: February 07, 2019, 07:17:37 pm »
+22
Well that title felt weird to write :o

I actually recorded this this morning, but then I got distracted, ran out of time, and had to go to class. Sorry about my dodgy video editing skillz

Things I've done since then:
- MATH :'( (chemistry math, but still)
- Handed in my paperwork + got a key for the window ;D
- Went shopping! (somewhat)
 - I got a fitted sheet, coathangers, pillow, and the wrong sized pillow case :-[

I couldn't carry anything else, I was going to make 2 trips (shop is 5-10min away by bike) but they closed at 6 :o

Still haven't met anyone on my floor, although someone doing the bridging course with me is a couple of floors below me. Also haven't been shopping properly or put food in our fridges or cupboards :-\

At least I have coathangers so I can put some of the stuff all over the floor away!

I'm really enjoying being out of home so far - having said that, obviously still early days. I've got to get a job, which is going to be somewhat hard - particularly given I don't know my uni timetable yet and I'll be out all day every day next week, fairly busy over the following weekend, and O-week is the week after that. I'm going to lose all my savings real fast if I don't get myself organised though.
VCE
2016: Psychology [37]
2017: Biology [44], English Language
2018: Environmental Science [43], Further Math [44], Outdoor Ed [35], English [28]
ATAR: 90.80
2019: B Environment and Sustainability/B Science @ ANU

Lsjnzy13

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +352
Re: PF's uni journal
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:33:00 am »
+6
Yessss PF! Excited to read this journal! Loving the vlog-style post! Good luck with everything ;D
VCE
2017: Chinese [35]
2018: Literature [47]; Ancient History [44]; Chemistry [39]; Global Politics [39]; Methods [34]
ATAR: 98.35
University of Melbourne
2019 - 2021: Bachelor of Arts
2022 - 2023: Master of Teaching (Secondary)
History Prompts; Guide

PM for lit + history resources.

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +374
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:10:52 pm »
+6
yay love this!! let me know if you need any tips for canberra/anu ;)

also goodluck x
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:23 pm »
+4
Glad to see you're setting in! I'm excited to read your entries this year :)

A few questions, just because I'm curious :P
How are you finding Canberra life? I visited last year and found it a little too spread out and quiet for my liking, but this is coming from someone who has lived in somewhat inner Melbourne all their life!!
How does your accomodation work? Clearly you're in residence with other students, but do you cook or is it catered/provided? Are there dining halls, shared cooking spaces, etc? Are you staying in your own apartment/room? I hope you're liking the accomodation!!
What are you most excited for in regards to your studies/course? :)

2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »
+8
Glad to see you're setting in! I'm excited to read your entries this year :)

A few questions, just because I'm curious :P
How are you finding Canberra life? I visited last year and found it a little too spread out and quiet for my liking, but this is coming from someone who has lived in somewhat inner Melbourne all their life!!
I love it! I've lived in inner Melbourne all my life too - it's actually one of the reasons I decided to come here. I came up for the open day a couple of years ago and really loved how peaceful it is compared to Melbourne. It's so easy to ride around everywhere, the streets are relatively quiet, and there's a lot more nature around than in Melbourne city. I don't enjoy being around crowds anyway - having said that the shops seem to be quite busy all the time, probably due to the lack of opening hours

How does your accomodation work? Clearly you're in residence with other students, but do you cook or is it catered/provided? Are there dining halls, shared cooking spaces, etc? Are you staying in your own apartment/room? I hope you're liking the accomodation!!
I'm in a self catered hall - there's some that are catered but I'd rather make my own food. First floor is reception and a cafe/bar, second floor is kitchens, laundry, study areas, then the building splits into two towers - north and south. North tower has 7 dorm floors (so 9 floors total), south tower has 5 dorm floors (7 floors total).

On each floor there's about 40 rooms (I think, that's what I got told, I haven't actually checked). So we all have our own room, bathrooms are shared on each floor - there's bathrooms at either end with 4 toilets & 4 showers (I think). There's also a kitchenette which has some couches and chairs as well as a sink, microwave, toaster, and kettle.

The kitchens downstairs have ovens and stoves, etc. There's also big fridges & freezers, and we each have a cupboard with our room number on it to store our stuff in. There's also tables & chairs and seats along next to the window for eating at.

I've been told there's TV rooms somewhere but I haven't really explored level 1 & 2 much - it's also still a bit of a construction site.

What are you most excited for in regards to your studies/course? :)
I don't really know, this isn't very specific, but I think I'm just looking forward to learning interesting things again - feels like it's been a while since I've done that.
VCE
2018: Environmental Science [43], Further Math [44], Outdoor Ed [35], English [28]

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1923
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:53 pm »
+6
Yay PF! You seem to be coping well with things so far :) Living out of home for the first time is a bit of an adjustment but it's awesome. Unfortunately student life is sometimes living off sandwiches lol. I defs recommend putting yourself out there and trying to get to know people. It'll make the place feel a bit more like home and it's really nice to have some familiar faces to say hi to!

Also, re: sharing fridges. I've not shared with a whole floor but I have shared with 6 people and basically just label your stuff (given there's a larger amount of people) and I like to keep my stuff together and stacked nicely to save space (plus this way it's easier to keep track of what's yours so you know whether someone is stealing your food)
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 03:12:12 pm »
+12
Uni is exhausting.

Especially all the social stuff that I'm supposed to be doing at the moment. I think I'm going to try and at least go to a couple of the events each day, but honestly I kinda cbf.

I'd rather be off hiking in the mountains I can see from my window than attempting to make friends. (There's a walk up black mountain tomorrow though so yay).

I went to commencement this morning - very boring, do not recommend (free stuff though). There's a free showing of spider man: into the spiderverse at the new Kambri cinema tonight so I'm going to go see that - apparently it's good. Problem being there's probably going to be a heap of people who want to go and there's *only* 300 seats.

It feels like there's a heap of stuff I should be doing right now, but also nothing, if that makes any sense (it doesn't). I still haven't really organised my room (although it's better than it was) and I need to actually figure out what sort of things I'm going to cook and make a shopping list or something. My shopping is very haphazard at the moment. I have some potatoes that I've been intending to cut up to make into chips for a couple of days now but I still haven't done it.

Also still have to do the online questions for the chemistry course - we were sort of supposed to do some each night but I didn't :-\

I don't think I'm going to go to any of the parties that are on in O week. I kind of want to go to them, but I also know how much I hate crowds of people and loud music. There's some smaller parties happening here this week - there's a rainbow bar night tonight, but I guess I won't be going to that either if I'm at the movie (although it'll probably still be going on when we get back).

tl;dr
-I'm exhausted
-Making friends is hard
-Parties suck (I say, having never been to any big ones)

Sorry for the shitty update, there's so much else I could write about, but I kind of want to sleep instead (but I should probably go eat something, or have coffee, or both).
VCE

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1923
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 03:39:06 pm »
+8
PF, you sound exactly like first year me lol.
If parties aren't your thing, then there's no obligation to go! Find other things to do. Have dinner with a few people on your floor, go to the trivia nights or smaller scale stuff. Some of it might seem lame but you only have to go once, then you'll know some more people and you won't have to go again haha.

Seriously though, don't sweat the friend stuff. It's normal for it to take a while to make friends and adjusting to uni is hard. Don't be too hard on yourself :)

Re: cooking and being organised, to do lists are great. Don't try and tackle everything at once - start something, finish it and then you'll be in a good mood because youve achieved something.
If you have a decent sized pot, it's so easy to cook in batches. Stir fry and spag bol/other pasta dishes are my go to and I'm in my 3rd year of living out of home. There's so many variations that you can do so you can keep the food interesting. I love only having to cook once a week.

Also. Get yourself a rice cooker!!! You won't regret it. Just chuck rice and water in, press the button and soon you'll have amazing rice. It's so much less fiddly than doing rice any other way 😍
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)