Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 21, 2019, 03:38:50 pm

Author Topic: QCE English Questions Thread  (Read 917 times)

Tvisha K

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: QCE English Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 09:44:20 pm »
+2
Hey Guy,

I recently attended the QCE ATAR Notes Lectures at QUT and found it really fun.
I was wondering if you guys were gonna make more of those extra text specific guides (eg Macbeth, Frankenstein etc).
My school is currently doing 'The Great Gatsby' and I know at least two more schools which will be doing the text for the Unit 3 assessment.

Cheers,

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +1823
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:23:21 am »
+2
Hi,
I have my first year 12 piece this term. It is a persuasive speech. I am struggling to choose my topic and i have done a lot of research. my teacher said to pick a contentious topic/debate that has been gripping to australian consciousness over the past year. I want to do something and choose a side that has depth to the arguments and will be highly engaging and strong persuasive arguments.

Any ideas on what topic I can choose?
Thanks!  :)

What types of topics are you more interested in?

There's not going to be much point arguing "School strikes for climate enhance students' learning" for example, if you aren't passionate about climate change or if you believe that the school strikes are ineffective tactic. If you believe in what you are saying and actually care about it you'll find the task much easier :)

What have you already identified in your research as not interesting to you?

Hey Guy,

I recently attended the QCE ATAR Notes Lectures at QUT and found it really fun.
I was wondering if you guys were gonna make more of those extra text specific guides (eg Macbeth, Frankenstein etc).
My school is currently doing 'The Great Gatsby' and I know at least two more schools which will be doing the text for the Unit 3 assessment.

Cheers,

Hey Tvishka,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the lecture series! Thank you for attending :)

You'll be pleased to know that there are already plans for a The Great Gatsby text guide - see here for a list of upcoming publications

If either of you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask; I hope this has helped :)
2018-2021: Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) @ Monash

Leadership  ; Scientific Methodology ; Wanting to stay productive?

Want QCE help? Leave a post here :)

Fatcat20

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 10:32:10 pm »
+1
Hi everyone!
I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment regarding English. English is my worst subject and after talking to my teacher I feel that I will not improve in English, to the point where it will not be calculated in my top five subjects for my final atar. So I now know that English will not count towards my atar, and I am pretty sure of this. I just need to make sure I pass every assessment this year. But I am not sure as to what my 'game plan' should be. I can't drop the subject, but I have to pass it. When it comes around to me studying for my exams and doing my assignments, do I just put enough effort in so that I may pass? Or should I put as much effort as I have put in this year ? (Btw this year I got a B overall for Unit 1 + 2) Thank you everyone for your help!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +1823
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 02:10:28 pm »
+1

Hi!  Welcome to the forums!  :)

There are definitely people who would strategically plan to spend less time on English but if it were me I'd continue with "business as normal" and there's two reasons for that:
1. It would really stress me out if I didn't have any buffer room for having a mediocre exam day
2. Since its not your raw score but rather how you go compared to the rest of the state that determines your subject score you might be surprised by what your worst subject is. 

Anecdotally, I think people who try to 'game the system' often end up worse as a result. Someone else might have different advice but that's my perspective. 

Good luck :)
2018-2021: Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) @ Monash

Leadership  ; Scientific Methodology ; Wanting to stay productive?

Want QCE help? Leave a post here :)