Login | Register
FREE Head Start Lectures this January - book now! HSC: register here | QCE: register here | VCE: register here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

January 17, 2020, 11:35:26 pm

Author Topic: COLLINE VS VCAA | Who will come out victorious?  (Read 13611 times)

Joyn02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: COLLINE VS VCAA | Who will come out victorious?
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2019, 07:27:54 pm »
+3
Aww thanks Joyn! And right back at you - your results are extraordinary! I guess we’ll see each other at Melbourne Uni next year then? Well done!! 🧡

Thanks Colline! Yeah I'll see you at Melbourne next year! It's so exciting isn't it? Have you had a look at the subjects you'll want to take?

I was 0.05 off the cutoff for BSci/DVetMed, unfortunately, so now I only have a FFP :(
2018 Software Dev [38], Cert II Animal Studies [3.7]
2019 Chemistry [37], Physics [47], Methods [41], English [45]
2020 BSci, Animal Health

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Pursue excellence, and success will chase you.
  • Respect: +366
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »
+7
WOWWWW! Congratulations Colline I have been reading your journal for quite a while now, and cannot find words to express how interesting and exciting it is to see another student's experience with school (especially one who has gone above and beyond). Thank you for inspiring me.

Any advice for tackling UCAT?
Thank you SmartWorker!

Regarding the UCAT, frankly I am not the best person to ask. Since med was never my aim to begin with, I didn't actually put too much thought into it - I did the UCAT out of interest - so I didn't actually do any targeted practice. I downloaded the UCAT app and did a lot of questions from there, but other than that, I didn't do any preparation.

I think I was partly able to get the score I did because I simply wasn't stressed about it, so I approached test day with a 'YOLO' attitude and didn't panic during the duration of the test. So my (totally very practical) advice is to have a calm attitude to avoid performing below your potential.

My more practical advice would be to play a bunch of IQ-test-type puzzles or games. They're really fun and I was addicted to them for a good part of my life. Most UCAT questions are built on the same foundations as those games, so if you have experience with those types of brain-puzzles, you'll naturally be more familiar with the sorts of patterns that tend to pop up or the type of distractions they could include to throw you off track.

I'm sorry if both pieces of advice sound kind of weird haha, now reading back on what I wrote, they seem pretty dumb.

Thanks Colline! Yeah I'll see you at Melbourne next year! It's so exciting isn't it? Have you had a look at the subjects you'll want to take?

I was 0.05 off the cutoff for BSci/DVetMed, unfortunately, so now I only have a FFP :(

Oh no!! I'm sorry, that's so unlucky! I'm pretty sure you'll still have opportunities to get a CSP in uni though. Regardless you still did really well!

Yes I am so excited for next year! From looking at the sample course plan we don't seem to have a lot of choices - I'll have to take physics - but I haven't looked too much into electives/breadths yet. Also I've been hearing my friends at Melbourne Uni say this sort of stuff and now it's so weird to hear this vocabulary coming from myself!

Pls don't mind a cheeky plug ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:44:20 pm by colline »
99.75: Methods & Literature [RAW 50] Chemistry [40] Resources!
UoM 2020: Animal Health / Veterinary Medicine

SmartWorker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
+2
Thank you SmartWorker!

Regarding the UCAT, frankly I am not the best person to ask. Since med was never my aim to begin with, I didn't actually put too much thought into it - I did the UCAT out of interest - so I didn't actually do any targeted practice. I downloaded the UCAT app and did a lot of questions from there, but other than that, I didn't do any preparation.

I think I was partly able to get the score I did because I simply wasn't stressed about it, so I approached test day with a 'YOLO' attitude and didn't panic during the duration of the test. So my (totally very practical) advice is to have a calm attitude to avoid performing below your potential.

My more practical advice would be to play a bunch of IQ-test-type puzzles or games. They're really fun and I was addicted to them for a good part of my life. Most UCAT questions are built on the same foundations as those games, so if you have experience with those types of brain-puzzles, you'll naturally be more familiar with the sorts of patterns that tend to pop up or the type of distractions they could include to throw you off track.

I'm sorry if both pieces of advice sound kind of weird haha, now reading back on what I wrote, they seem pretty dumb.

Oh no!! I'm sorry, that's so unlucky! I'm pretty sure you'll still have opportunities to get a CSP in uni though. Regardless you still did really well!

Yes I am so excited for next year! From looking at the sample course plan we don't seem to have a lot of choices - I'll have to take physics - but I haven't looked too much into electives/breadths yet. Also I've been hearing my friends at Melbourne Uni say this sort of stuff and now it's so weird to hear this vocabulary coming from myself!

Pls don't mind a cheeky plug ;)

Thank you Colline for your advice😀
2019 - Bio 1/2, Eco 1/2
2020 - Bio 3/4, Methods 1/2, Spesh 1/2, Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, Eng 1/2
2021 - Methods 3/4, Spesh 3/4, English 3/4, Chem 3/4, Physics 3/4
KLD (2021)

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." ― Brad Meltzer

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Pursue excellence, and success will chase you.
  • Respect: +366
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
+16
-- Colline vs VCAA: The Final Chapter --

19 / 12 / 2019  -  Thursday

Hey friends! With the release of December round VTAC offers yesterday, I am at last released from VCAA's tyrannical reign of terror - my journey through VCE has officially come to an end.

Even though I knew what offer was coming, the wait for my email from VTAC was still somewhat nerve wracking. From as early as 8am, my friends started reporting their offers from ACU, Deakin, La Trobe, etc. My Facebook feed was all of a sudden crowded with updates, all my group chats were going insane, yet no email came for me... until 1:57pm.

I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place to Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne, with guarantee CSP entrance into the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, accelerated pathway!

The journey to this email has been an absolute killer! But I'm also incredibly thankful that it was bumpier than originally planned. From the first week of year 9 to 1:57 yesterday afternoon... It has sure been a long trek!

On AN, I had recorded my journey from the moment I set my eyes on becoming a veterinarian, to the day I received my offer. But the truth is, the journey has been much, much more. From my very first unscored VET in year 9 - when I barely knew what an ATAR was let alone what I wanted to do in the future - to telling my school's career advisor I wanted to become a music therapist in year 10 - to reluctantly swapping out of drama into methods because my head-of-house "forced" me to keep my options open - to checking out animal health courses out of boredom one day and slowly realising music therapy was not for me - until I finally left psychology for chemistry at the end of year 11, which was the moment I knew my goal for uni - not music therapy, but veterinary medicine.

I am seriously looking forward to university!!! Don't know whether I'll do a uni journal on AN, as a BSc isn't exactly the most ~unique~ degree. But I'll see.

This year has been a hell of a year. Was it stressful? Yes. But the stress has been one of the best parts of this year. Controversial opinion, but I don't think stress is a bad thing - it was this stress that pushed me to do my very best, and without it, I couldn't have gotten the results I did. If there is one piece of advice I can give to the next cohort, it's this: You will get stressed in year 12, but don't try to take things easy, hold yourself accountable and be harsh with yourself if you need. Push yourself to go beyond your limits, and you'll be amazed at the results.

With that, it is time to wrap up this thread. Congratulations to my fellow 2019 graduates, and absolute best of luck to the VCE Class of 2020!
99.75: Methods & Literature [RAW 50] Chemistry [40] Resources!
UoM 2020: Animal Health / Veterinary Medicine

SmartWorker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
+3
-- Colline vs VCAA: The Final Chapter --

19 / 12 / 2019  -  Thursday

Hey friends! With the release of December round VTAC offers yesterday, I am at last released from VCAA's tyrannical reign of terror - my journey through VCE has officially come to an end.

Even though I knew what offer was coming, the wait for my email from VTAC was still somewhat nerve wracking. From as early as 8am, my friends started reporting their offers from ACU, Deakin, La Trobe, etc. My Facebook feed was all of a sudden crowded with updates, all my group chats were going insane, yet no email came for me... until 1:57pm.

I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place to Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne, with guarantee CSP entrance into the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, accelerated pathway!

(Image removed from quote.)

The journey to this email has been an absolute killer! But I'm also incredibly thankful that it was bumpier than originally planned. From the first week of year 9 to 1:57 yesterday afternoon... It has sure been a long trek!

On AN, I had recorded my journey from the moment I set my eyes on becoming a veterinarian, to the day I received my offer. But the truth is, the journey has been much, much more. From my very first unscored VET in year 9 - when I barely knew what an ATAR was let alone what I wanted to do in the future - to telling my school's career advisor I wanted to become a music therapist in year 10 - to reluctantly swapping out of drama into methods because my head-of-house "forced" me to keep my options open - to checking out animal health courses out of boredom one day and slowly realising music therapy was not for me - until I finally left psychology for chemistry at the end of year 11, which was the moment I knew my goal for uni - not music therapy, but veterinary medicine.

I am seriously looking forward to university!!! Don't know whether I'll do a uni journal on AN, as a BSc isn't exactly the most ~unique~ degree. But I'll see.

This year has been a hell of a year. Was it stressful? Yes. But the stress has been one of the best parts of this year. Controversial opinion, but I don't think stress is a bad thing - it was this stress that pushed me to do my very best, and without it, I couldn't have gotten the results I did. If there is one piece of advice I can give to the next cohort, it's this: You will get stressed in year 12, but don't try to take things easy, hold yourself accountable and be harsh with yourself if you need. Push yourself to go beyond your limits, and you'll be amazed at the results.

With that, it is time to wrap up this thread. Congratulations to my fellow 2019 graduates, and absolute best of luck to the VCE Class of 2020!

CONGRATULATIONS Colline best of luck for uni
2019 - Bio 1/2, Eco 1/2
2020 - Bio 3/4, Methods 1/2, Spesh 1/2, Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, Eng 1/2
2021 - Methods 3/4, Spesh 3/4, English 3/4, Chem 3/4, Physics 3/4
KLD (2021)

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." ― Brad Meltzer

rkjthguakj

• Adventurer
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2019, 02:11:08 pm »
+4
Congrats on your offer!! That's so amazing for you!!
2019: Business Management [43]
2020: English, Methods, Economics, Legal Studies, Global Politics

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +2335
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 02:15:19 pm »
+5
Congratulations!!

It's great to hear that you're keen and  - even though there can't have been much doubt you'd be offered a place - it's nice to see your goals becoming more and more your reality :D

Don't know whether I'll do a uni journal on AN, as a BSc isn't exactly the most ~unique~ degree. But I'll see.

No pressure, but imo this isn't a reason to not do a journal - it being very "normal" means there's a lot of people who would be interested in hearing a current students experiences. On the other hand, there are so many possible different unit combinations and ways to engage in uni life that everyone's experiences are unique - even in courses as large as Bachelor of Science at UniMelb.

Best of luck for your science studies! :D

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2019, 06:02:09 pm »
+2
Congrats Colline!
Check out some Motivational Quotes  here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=186285.0
My Work Experience Guide for Year 9's/Year 10's: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187438.msg1131904#msg1131904

laura_

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +650
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2019, 09:04:35 pm »
+2
Congratulations! How exciting! You've had so many people follow this VCE journal, so I'm sure you'd have an audience for a uni journal (if you chose to do one). Best of luck with everything next year! I hope you really enjoy your study, it sounds like you have found your passion!
she is never going
back in that cage

Help us fight the whodogs!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2019, 12:48:09 am »
+2
Congratulations Colline! Enjoy wherever your journey takes you, and hope to see you doing great things!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University