Last Minute Offer: FREE Complete Course Notes for all subjects you enrol in for TuteSmart 2019. Book free info appointment here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

January 24, 2019, 09:20:17 pm

Author Topic: Need Advice from musos  (Read 130 times)  Share 

borismone

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need Advice from musos
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »
Hey there so Iím doing my HSC this year and I have heaps of dilemmas and I just want to know what you think I should do because everyday I wake up I change my mind.

So my ATAR goal is 97.5 and hopefully I can make it into actuarial studies at UNSW. I take 11 units at the moment, 4u math, chem, music 2(already done last yr), music ext and English adv. Iím having a big debate with myself at the moment on doing 4U maths because I donít know donít know if I will do amazing at it, in my T4 assessment I got around 60% and ranked like around 4-5/8 (not too sure). So at the moment Iím considering dropping 4u and doing 2u/3u and smashing them but then consequently I lose the scaling of the 2 units of 3u math and 2 units of 4u math.

Adding to this, at the moment I currently teach students how to play violin but donít actually have a Ďpiece of paperí and because I donít want to do music in uni I know that I will have to get one. So I have a program that I could play for my AmusA diploma in June with pieces that I have previously learnt so I would just have to look at them a little more and refresh myself to get them ready. Now, since the exam for AmusA is around July and it takes a lot of work, I know that Iím going to probably be burned out practising violin and studying for my subjects ó> especially if I do 4u math.

So I donít know if it will be manageable or not...
But then I could try to go for my Lmus next year while in uni, but I donít know if I will have the time in uni if I end up getting into actuarial but then I wonít have a piece of paper to say Iím decent for a while.

Tdlr; 4u math takes heaps of time and so does practising my instrument so do I drop 4u math and get the music diploma or do both or wait till uni next yr and go for the better diploma.

Thanks for any help guys.

angewina_naguen

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +229
Re: Need Advice from musos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:34:25 pm »
+5
Hey there so Iím doing my HSC this year and I have heaps of dilemmas and I just want to know what you think I should do because everyday I wake up I change my mind.

So my ATAR goal is 97.5 and hopefully I can make it into actuarial studies at UNSW. I take 11 units at the moment, 4u math, chem, music 2(already done last yr), music ext and English adv. Iím having a big debate with myself at the moment on doing 4U maths because I donít know donít know if I will do amazing at it, in my T4 assessment I got around 60% and ranked like around 4-5/8 (not too sure). So at the moment Iím considering dropping 4u and doing 2u/3u and smashing them but then consequently I lose the scaling of the 2 units of 3u math and 2 units of 4u math.

Adding to this, at the moment I currently teach students how to play violin but donít actually have a Ďpiece of paperí and because I donít want to do music in uni I know that I will have to get one. So I have a program that I could play for my AmusA diploma in June with pieces that I have previously learnt so I would just have to look at them a little more and refresh myself to get them ready. Now, since the exam for AmusA is around July and it takes a lot of work, I know that Iím going to probably be burned out practising violin and studying for my subjects ó> especially if I do 4u math.

So I donít know if it will be manageable or not...
But then I could try to go for my Lmus next year while in uni, but I donít know if I will have the time in uni if I end up getting into actuarial but then I wonít have a piece of paper to say Iím decent for a while.

Tdlr; 4u math takes heaps of time and so does practising my instrument so do I drop 4u math and get the music diploma or do both or wait till uni next yr and go for the better diploma.

Thanks for any help guys.

Hey, borismone!

Good on you for reaching out to the forum about your situation. It's great to see your options and the diversity in your interests  ;D I can offer some advice based on my own experience as someone who juggled music and other extra-curricular commitments with my HSC. Hopefully someone else will jump in if they know more about the demands of your dream course but here's what I have to offer  :)

For your assessment result, don't sweat on it! I have heard numerous success stories from people doing 4 unit who got worse marks and who were able to bring their ranks up from consistent hard work and practice. It is a whopper of a course so I would encourage you to not be disheartened and to view it as a means to figure out your strengths and weaknesses for next time. Don't lose hope because you can still do well!

However, if you aren't finding yourself excelling in 4 unit and know that you could smash 2 unit and 3 unit easily, I would suggest dropping it. Scaling will work in your favour if you perform well in those two subjects because mathematics scales ridiculously well. Of course, if you are capable of doing 4 unit, it would be preferable for you to continue with it and have the benefit of that scaling but if you know you can do better elsewhere, go with that. I also saw that Actuarial Studies only requires Ext 1 Maths so you will already meet the prerequisites anyway. What matters above that is your ability to maximise your chances of success and that comes with playing your best cards and your other subjects which brings me to my next point.

Balancing your commitments to music with your HSC can be difficult, especially with the level you are currently at. I personally don't assign credibility with a person's ability to teach if they are able to demonstrate that they have it but if you want to keep those students as long-term educational investments, I would make sure I also make room for getting that diploma. July is a good time because there's not many assessments and it is holiday period/more for the beginning of preparation for Trials which come around August. If you knock out that diploma earlier, you can focus 100% on your studies from then.

Regardless of whether you choose to pursue 4 unit or not, I would advise allocating time for rehearsals and to your program so you can complete your diploma. It will also be a great way to keep you going with Music Ext by having music-focused time in your schedule. I scheduled time in my week for my AMEB program and managed to also work on my HSC Performance piece simultaneously. This helped me maintain purpose and motivation because I was taking a break from the rest of my academic commitments to do my own thing whilst still contributing to my learning. If you do find yourself burning out, you can make a more informed decision then of which commitment you may wish to withdraw from and manage your time accordingly from there.

I hope my advice was helpful in some way or another! In the end, it's your call. I hope someone else who had perhaps a more intensive HSC+ Music experience can contribute to this but I definitely think you can attain your ATAR goal, get into your course and smash the HSC no matter what you choose to do and whether a diploma also comes out of it ;D Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:36:12 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-
| Advanced English (94) | Extension 1 English (48) | Extension 2 English (46) | Music 2 (83) | Visual Arts (93) | Society and Culture (93) | Modern History (89) |

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

borismone

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:56 pm »
+1
Hey angelina i really appreciate the response! I think at this point I'm going to continue with 4u math but I dont think i will get my diploma because the exam period for the Lmus/Amus is really really close to the hsc so i dont think i want to be burned out near then and dont want to be under so much stress.. Do u reckon i could just try for my lmus next yr around september, while im in uni?

angewina_naguen

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +229
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:46:06 pm »
Hey angelina i really appreciate the response! I think at this point I'm going to continue with 4u math but I dont think i will get my diploma because the exam period for the Lmus/Amus is really really close to the hsc so i dont think i want to be burned out near then and dont want to be under so much stress.. Do u reckon i could just try for my lmus next yr around september, while im in uni?

Hey, borismone!

Glad you were able to come to a decision  ;D As long as you work hard, pace yourself well and keep yourself organised, Iím sure youíll be able to overcome any challenges along the way   :)

As for LMus, I think it will definitely be attainable in university when your schedule begins to be more flexible  and you can have time to dedicate yourself to the program. Do find time during your HSC, maybe during down time, to work on it and figure out how you want to approach your LMus. Leaving it until next year to do is all good but I would suggest being proactive with it over a longer period of time, than cramming it wherever you can with your university commitments.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing how it all goes. All the best of luck  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-
| Advanced English (94) | Extension 1 English (48) | Extension 2 English (46) | Music 2 (83) | Visual Arts (93) | Society and Culture (93) | Modern History (89) |

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music