Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:43 am

Author Topic: Building a resilient headspace!  (Read 21667 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: No Fear of Failure (John's VCE)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:58 pm »
+8
8/4/19 - This'll actually be long. A lot to go through. I apologise in advance for the length of my post.

So I was basically dead all of last week. Just wanted the term to end already. Initially, I was unable to explain my sudden burnout (that word makes me weary just looking at it, but I can't describe the trajectory of last week in any other way). I was heading to the library, as usual, immediately after school. (Yeah, there's something called distractions when I'm at home, and I'd much prefer to chill out there anyway.) But despite my best attempts at planning out what I was going to smash out for the afternoon/evening, I just sat on the comfortable seats and wondered what to do with my life.

An hour, two hours passed (browsing the forums like the nosey person I am to try and spur me on), then it was getting late and had to get home in time for dinner. It's not like I found the work particularly difficult, it was just all apathy, I suppose. Like, I didn't even feel that guilty for not studying. Looking back, I felt like I gave up too easily. You know the classic example of one who gives advice but doesn't follow it themselves? Well, I reckon that was me. It was a vicious cycle of doing not much more than studying, then going home, eating dinner, then being too tired to do anything else, but still have enough energy to watch YouTube vids until a time at which I thought my parents would catch me awake.

Wow, journalling (even typing it up instead of writing it down physically) is super helpful! It just puts my train of thought in order, know what I mean? On Saturday, I went to the city for my first ever ATARnotes lectures! English, though I rocked up late (shoutout to Melbourne's archaic public transport), was quite enjoyable, and met some faces from my own school that I didn't even know were going! In the afternoon, I had the Methods lecture. Loved the lecturer's down-to-earthness! (I know, pulling out cliche #1 from the book of 1001 cliches)  She gave me a new, fresh perspective on Methods that I otherwise wouldn't have gained. Also, on a lighter note, during the English lecture when the lecturer was projecting the forums up on the screen, one of my topics was shown! Those chairs were waaaayy too comfortable, though.  :P

I'll be going to three more next weekend! I tend to sit in the middle section, but not too close to the front. (Pls don't track me down bro, or take all dem seats  ;))

The snail-speed of the train I took into the city on Saturday gave me time to think. Time to think about why I'm even doing this. I figured that it was all about mindset. If I thought the week would be a drag, it would increase the likelihood that it would actually be so. I've begun to see education and studying as a gift. A gift that so many young people my age unfortunately either don't have at all, or they have it, but receive it inadequately and insufficiently. Though it'll be far from easy, and sometimes I have weeks like last week where I cling on to ATARnotes like it's my only saving grace, whilst at the same time not being enthused at all by the prospect of getting work done, I desire to receive this gift with an open mind and heart!

I'll enjoy these holidays first.  ;D
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Macrophagee

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:43 pm »
+1
The snail-speed of the train I took into the city on Saturday gave me time to think. Time to think about why I'm even doing this. I figured that it was all about mindset. If I thought the week would be a drag, it would increase the likelihood that it would actually be so. I've begun to see education and studying as a gift. A gift that so many young people my age unfortunately either don't have at all, or they have it, but receive it inadequately and insufficiently. Though it'll be far from easy, and sometimes I have weeks like last week where I cling on to ATARnotes like it's my only saving grace, whilst at the same time not being enthused at all by the prospect of getting work done, I desire to receive this gift with an open mind and heart!

Hey
I can totally relate to the apathy you experience with studying, I guess it's just going through the motions and just wanting the year to be over huh? During times like that, I like to think of what I want to do next year and how working to the best of my ability will hopefully allow me to start doing things I actually am interested in.
Also, love your attitude towards education. I think it's important to remember that we are actually quite fortunate compared to many children worldwide, even though we stress over SACs and the ATAR.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 05:15:53 pm »
+2
Interesting post, JR.

"I'll enjoy these holidays first.  ;D"

This bit is really important, though, I think. Recuperation is important. :)

P.S. Nice work on going to lectures - glad they were good! Hope the trains aren't as slow next week haha (shitty luck that train works are coinciding with lectures tbh).

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 10:02:13 pm »
+4
14/4/19 - Unjumbling my twisted thoughts

Is it bad to say that I was actually bored of relaxing? I was SO over studying for this first week of holidays. So I did something I haven't done in quite a long time. I took (wait for it...) TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF STUDYING last Thursday and Friday. GUILT-FREE. I had free reign over how much procrastination I did. Just as long as I didn't abandon my health and wellbeing. I've identified (with the help of a few books) that four aspects of your life must never, ever be neglected:

JR's Four Lifestyle Essentials
1) Sufficient sleep
2) Time 4 Relaxation
3) Exercise/Physical activity stuff
4) A Healthy Balanced Diet

This next week will (hopefully) be more focused on chipping away at schoolwork (whilst also setting aside time for the Four Essentials). I feel like I'm the only guy who absolutely cannot work unless they're at a library. (Anyone else?) The hardest part is getting myself out of the house.

How are each of my subjects going? (can't be stuffed writing it down so I'll type it up for everyone to see!)
- ACTUALLY not cry whilst doing Methods. Use the ATARNotes Course Notes to carry guide me.
Biology: Find out wth we're doing. Take the initiative and email my teacher.
Chemistry: Read that delightful email from my teacher. It promises joy and prosperity, and holiday homework.
English: I've already watched Rear Window twice! Do I really need to watch it again? Oh yeah, gorgeous holiday homework to be done.
HHD: EDROLO! WOOHOOO!

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 10:44:39 am »
+1
24/4/19 - 2 days to go until Term 2

How nice of our school to give us basically an entire extra week off school due to staff days and public holidays. Except Friday. That's when the party gets kickin'. (I don't go to many parties, I'm not antisocial, it's just that I hardly get invited to any outside my family)

This next week will (hopefully) be more focused on chipping away at schoolwork (whilst also setting aside time for the Four Essentials). I feel like I'm the only guy who absolutely cannot work unless they're at a library. (Anyone else?) The hardest part is getting myself out of the house.

*Reads what's in bold*
*Looks at the date I posted that*
*Looks at current date*
Haha lol. Typical me (I wish to rectify what 'typical me' means, because this is just ridiculous). i had one decent day of study last week and that's about it. As of right now, I've spent 8 days, 17 hours and 14 minutes online on AN.  :o Probably dwarfed by the time I spend on YouTube.

How important is Year 12, really? Why should I try my absolute best? I guess it's to 'keep those doors open', as they say. But won't I be overwhelmed by the amount of choices I have? I suppose I should appreciate that I have the luxury of freedom of choice, unlike so many in this world who unfortunately don't. Then there's the whole 'building my character' thing. When formal education bores me to tears, I always have the best teacher of all: experience.

Please, brain, tell me where to begin. No matter how much I try to 'break down my work into small chunks', I still get overwhelmed at the magnitude of what I have to do. It's all a part of becoming independent and an adult, I suppose. It's so difficult to cultivate a growth mindset, when so many people around me don't really help with my confidence. I just don't want to suffer alone. I need the reassurance that other people are going through the same things, and that my mindset towards Year 12 (that it's super important and likely to be one of the most stressful years of my entire life) is not uncommon.

One day at a time, I will get there.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 06:04:30 pm »
Is procrastination inevitable? Is it right to criticise myself for not doing what I was supposed to do, multiple days in a row? I make a list and check it twice of things I need to do, most days of the week. On a day like today, when I'm left at home for the primary purpose of catching up on work I couldn't originally be bothered doing, I (unconsciously and unintentionally) try my hardest to do everything aside from what's on my list. As I've said, I try to break down the tasks into smaller chunks to make it more manageable (and make it as specific as I can), but I still can't get started. Why is it so hard for me to do anything related to study? Is it because of my laziness? Or my priorities? I question the significance of it all.

I took a decent break already. Don't really have many more excuses left. The past is past. But the future overwhelms me.

EDIT: Thinking about having to study sucks just as much as studying itself.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:22:21 pm by JR_StudyEd »

Seamus Wong

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:12 pm »
EDIT: Thinking about having to study sucks just as much as studying itself.

Wrong, Thinking about having to study is MUCH more overwhelming than studying itself. :)

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 04:19:28 pm »
+1
Wrong, Thinking about having to study is MUCH more overwhelming than studying itself. :)
True, true. ;)
But it's that first hurdle that becomes a mountain for me to clear. Starting is the hardest part. But there's no other way. :(

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: I'll get there eventually
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:28 pm »
2/5/19

6 months to go (I am sorry for those who just realised that's how long until it's all over). Nostalgia really hitting hard right now. My mindset so far this year has been a mix of 'better to focus on the present because I can actually control it' and 'crap I'm actually going to finish high school, wtf do I do with my life?'. I'm having one of those weeks where I don't know what to do because no one of authority (i.e. teachers) is telling me what to do. I guess uni will be like that too, huh. Impending independence has its shortcomings.  :(

I just want to talk about Methods. I guess it's my underdeveloped brain. I just can't seem to grasp Circular Functions, no matter how hard I try. I suppose it's alright to respond to a 'how are you going?' with 'not so good right now'. It's a rollercoaster, supposedly I'm at a point where it's only going to get better. Then I'll reach a peak, then drop all the way down again. I'll try to keep that growth mindset going.

If I actually think of this year as a collection of small, tiny, little, baby steps, it won't be as overwhelming.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 11:24:26 pm »
+2
6/5/19 - Should I even be awake right now?

May might be the worst month ever. No public holidays. No student free days. Only the weekends keep me from losing it. I haven't got anything very exciting in the near future to look forward to, maybe aside from when the final bell goes on Friday. My mind wanders, attempting valiantly to focus on present concerns, but much too overwhelmed at what the future may bring. My calendar is getting quite a workout from all the SAC dates that need to be put in it this month.

It's hard to explain what I'm about to write verbally in real life, so bear with me; say you study four subjects (for convenience we'll say Chemistry, Biology, Methods and English) in a day of school. You'll very likely be either set homework for these four subjects, or there's a SAC coming up. What really sucks is that I can't study for all four in the one night because a) Your mind would find it difficult switching between the subjects and b) Ain't nobody got time for all those subjects in one night. Then I'll have to ditch at least one of those subject and easily neglect them until I have my next class for that subject.

The "reward" of getting into my desired uni course isn't cutting it for me anymore; all it does is overwhelm me. (Or it might be because that desired course is Med.) Are short-term rewards any good, like sweet treats? I suppose it'll all be worth it in the end, the feeling of walking out of the exam room after my final exam will be satisfying and fulfilling beyond measure. Or so they say. But I'll have to work. Gross.

I can't be bothered, but then I can, but then it's too hard, but then it's time to sleep.

EDIT (2:25am, not even kidding): I can't sleep. Help.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:25:16 am by JR_StudyEd »

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2019, 11:33:08 pm »
The "reward" of getting into my desired uni course isn't cutting it for me anymore; all it does is overwhelm me. (Or it might be because that desired course is Med.) Are short-term rewards any good, like sweet treats? I suppose it'll all be worth it in the end, the feeling of walking out of the exam room after my final exam will be satisfying and fulfilling beyond measure. Or so they say. But I'll have to work. Gross.

I can't be bothered, but then I can, but then it's too hard, but then it's time to sleep.

If you ever figure out how to get past this, please let me know  :P
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:36 pm »
13/5/19

A lot of people seem to be viewing this. 2000 more than I would have expected when I started this way back in late December of last year. Hmmm...I wonder why...

So this won't be the first time this year that I post just to get myself to study. I just want to comment on how inescapable VCE seems to be. Do you get me when I say that I struggle to get away from studying, even on weekends, heck, especially on weekends! Whilst I'm on YouTube looking at Nintendo livestreams (I don't really play any video games sorry), in the back of my mind is always the thought of the next SAC. And seriously, it's near impossible to not be thinking about studying when websites like AN exist. Not sure if bad or good. Studying ain't a hobby, but I don't have many alternatives. I have a loving and supportive family, I'm starting to learn some more household chores, but as it stands, other than what I've just mentioned, it's either study, YouTube, or otherwise trying hard on weekends to do everything but studying as I'm so sick and tired of it, but without much success.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 07:44:11 pm »
13/5/19

A lot of people seem to be viewing this. 2000 more than I would have expected when I started this way back in late December of last year. Hmmm...I wonder why...

So this won't be the first time this year that I post just to get myself to study. I just want to comment on how inescapable VCE seems to be. Do you get me when I say that I struggle to get away from studying, even on weekends, heck, especially on weekends! Whilst I'm on YouTube looking at Nintendo livestreams (I don't really play any video games sorry), in the back of my mind is always the thought of the next SAC. And seriously, it's near impossible to not be thinking about studying when websites like AN exist. Not sure if bad or good. Studying ain't a hobby, but I don't have many alternatives. I have a loving and supportive family, I'm starting to learn some more household chores, but as it stands, other than what I've just mentioned, it's either study, YouTube, or otherwise trying hard on weekends to do everything but studying as I'm so sick and tired of it, but without much success.

I mean, it's year 12, so I don't think it's abnormal for you to feel like that.
I get a little overwhelmed with thinking about it all the time, which is why I find exercising after I finish all my homework (8:30-9:00pm) a necessity that enables me escape from my brain for a bit, and just refocus my energy and objectively view how I have been progressing with my work, but without the feeling of dread or anxiety. If you know that you've used your time productively then thinking about all the work that you have done will energise and motivate you.

I noticed that even when I stopped working out every day - only working out every second day - that my motivation declined.

Try not to exercise before you do your school work though, or else you won't have any energy. idk tho, that's just me.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:44 pm »

it's either study, YouTube, or otherwise trying hard on weekends to do everything but studying as I'm so sick and tired of it, but without much success.

Spot on.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:03:25 pm by mango8 »

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »
+3
19/5/19 - The apathy is real

Is this Year 12?  ???

I've given up on undergrad med. No UCAT for me this year. I'll focus on psychology, I guess. Why? Well the UCAT just doesn't appeal to me, and neither does Med. The stressful life doesn't seem worth it. And let's talk about the future, shall we? Actually, no let's not. Too daunting. Why does every little menial task seem so overwhelming? I'm even struggling to get to school on time. And I've also got a cold (but in reality it's like a perpetual viral infection that just reveals itself in the colder months). I really should have picked some more humanities subjects, shouldn't I? Science gets stale after a while. I'm waiting for the day when I actually am interested in doing schoolwork. May that day be before my final exams.

Not giving up. Thank the government for compulsory education.  :)

Srsly, words cannot describe my apathy and desire to do nothing but browse YouTube at the moment.