Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 21, 2019, 07:00:52 am

Author Topic: Building a resilient headspace!  (Read 4138 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +50
Re: Building a resilient headspace!
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 08:31:32 am »
+4
25/6/19 - I've got a virus

The world goes too fast. Shouldn't we take the time to slow down at least every week or so? I'm starting to lose interest in not only school, but life in general. Well, at least two subjects aren't ruining my day (English and Health). It's just the other three that I've tried really hard through gritted teeth and determination to try and gain an interest in so I can actually try and learn, but nothing seems to be working. It's these three subjects that are the reason that I want this year to be over so I can forget I ever studied them. I came in with the best of intentions, but have I really gotten anything out of Methods, Bio or Chem? No, not really. And I can't even be bothered to check the study designs of these subjects to see if there's anything mildly interesting to come. All I'm getting out of it is that I have a greater idea of what I won't be doing with my life after Year 12. Any positive is a good one, I suppose.

Sorry for the depressing tone. I'd rather be as genuine as possible than pretend life is rosy as in reality, it's a mess and starting to fall apart.
VCE Class of 2019
Subjects: English, Psychology (2018), Maths Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Health and Human Development

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 08:40:40 am »
+3
(cont.)
Oh yeah. I do have goals, but they're so overwhelming and I become even more disheartened when I try to break them apart into more manageable chunks (as literally every online article says).

Goal #1: To be as prepared for all my VCE exams as possible
Goal #2: To be healthy (healthy diet, sleep, exercise)

With #1, even writing down the list of things this would involve just discouraged me, as I have five distinct subjects. #2 requires quite a lot of resilience and dedication, which I don't think I have in me.

I guess there's a fine line between challenging and demoralising. Yes, I love it when life challenges me to improve, but I think right now, the scales are tipping towards the demoralising.

I can do it. So what though? I can improve. So what?
VCE Class of 2019
Subjects: English, Psychology (2018), Maths Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Health and Human Development

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 07:47:40 pm »
+3
10/7/19 - Please help me to develop and maintain a growth mindset for the rest of my life, okay?

Maths is painful. I can't even start. I know, I know. Short-term pain for long-term gain. All the pain, tears and suffering will be worth it in the end. This next 4 months of agonising, excruciating work is just a drop in the ocean of life. You wanna know just how much Maths is ruining my life right now? Well, it's almost always at the top of my priority list (due to its frustrating and infuriating difficulty), so I can't really avoid it. It also turns out that I technically failed the first Methods SAC. So I get given a document of questions to complete over the holidays to get an S for the unit. But screw that. It's as abstract as the original SAC. When I look at my daily school timetable and see 'Maths Methods' on it, I just let out a massive groan. And I have it on the first day back too! Let the good times flow.

And because of Methods, I can't really be stuffed studying for any other subject either, although they're slightly less painful than maths. In other news, I have an English Oral SAC on the first week back. But I procrastinate as heavily on this as I do with Methods, for some reason. Don't even know what I'm doing for Bio and Chem. Health is pretty much the only subject I can tolerate at the moment. And I can't even get to that thanks to a little subject called Maths Methods. It seriously drains me.

My sleep/wake routine has been meh. Most of my days are low energy, spent jamming out to great tunes on my study desk as the compulsory Methods homework stares me right in the face. I throw it away like a pile of trash. (Not really, just a simile :)))

I loathe the holidays. At least when both my parents are working and I have no reason to leave the house. It's basically like the school term, except you're stuck at home with bucketloads of work to complete. And you have absolutely no direct communication with your teachers. How ironic that the holidays have become like this.
VCE Class of 2019

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Leader
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:32 pm »
+3
Have you had a chance to have a break and recharge over the holidays JR? It sounds like you could use it. I know how you feel about the holidays, I don't know what it is, but especially after the stress of exams, holidays seem to make me feel even more drained than I was before. I have found that keeping busy and a consistent routine has helped. Most days I have had planned activities and if not I've made sure to leave the house, even if just to sit and study in the library.

TL;DR: I keep myself so busy I don't have the time to get in a melancholy mood.

Best of luck recuperating over the rest of your break! Sending good vibes your way. ;D
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1nik

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 04:27:37 pm »
+4
15/7/19 - Oh no, not the T word.

Yes, the T word indeed. I was kind of dreading the day when I would have to use the 'break glass in case of emergency' option. The T word has been bothering me ever since Year 12 started to become brutal. The T word industry is lucrative for those who administer it, and comparatively expensive for those who seek it. I don't know how regulated and trustworthy it really is. But it's really my last option for Methods, since all other free resources are either unhelpful or don't really encourage me to do the work I need to do. This T word I speak of, it is called...TUTORING.

AN is great, but real life interaction is what it unfortunately lacks. I kind of hate to say this, but I really don't learn much in Maths class at school. I pay as much attention as I possibly can, but the content still doesn't seem to be going in. I am so freakin' overwhelmed. The lack of quality teaching in Mathematics I have received over all my years of education has accumulated to the point where Maths has just become the bane of my existence. I don't improve, no matter how hard I try.

And due to all the attention I've given to this subject, I've almost completely forgotten about the existence of my other subjects.  :-\ :'(

At least there's always music and good food to get you through it all. 4 more months of this ****.
VCE Class of 2019

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Leader
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 04:32:02 pm »
+3
15/7/19 - Oh no, not the T word.

Yes, the T word indeed. I was kind of dreading the day when I would have to use the 'break glass in case of emergency' option. The T word has been bothering me ever since Year 12 started to become brutal. The T word industry is lucrative for those who administer it, and comparatively expensive for those who seek it. I don't know how regulated and trustworthy it really is. But it's really my last option for Methods, since all other free resources are either unhelpful or don't really encourage me to do the work I need to do. This T word I speak of, it is called...TUTORING.

Hey JR,
Hope you find some tutoring that helps you smash the last stretch of VCE. Tutoring doesn't have to be seen as the 'break glass in case of emergency' option, but I understand why you might feel that way. There are still many free and low-cost options for tutoring (check out your local library).

Best of luck pushing through methods and conquering your maths anxiety. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1nik

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2019, 06:33:49 pm »
+5
11/8/19 - What a difference 3 months makes

3 months ago, I was all like, Medicine? Nah too stressful. My interest in psychology remained. I don't necessarily want to become a psychologist, but I just have an interest in the brain and behaviour and the power of attitude and mindset, and the details of mental health. It's also VTAC's time to shine but I'm trying to keep a cool headspace in that regard. I never thought I'd be seriously considering unis like Swinburne and ACU (especially given how little attention they're given compared to the RMIT's and the Monash's of the world), but after visiting them, I'm convinced that I would be happy going to one or the other.  :) And I've still got Victoria University's open day next week (don't judge me, I know I'm missing out on Melbuni, but I have my reasons), so we'll see how that goes.

justifying why I'm not much of a fan of the other unis, and therefore why I don't want to study there
MelbUni: #1 for psych in Australia, huh? I wasn't a fan of the sheer size of your campus. I know it's old and stuff, but I don't find such architecture all that inspirational or charming. Sorry.
RMIT: Automatic disapproval for any uni in the CBD. I know you're smack bang in the middle of everything, but it's not my style. I spoke to someone who was studying Psych there, and they legit lowkey sounded like they wanted to drop out.
Monash, LaTrobe and Deakin: Too far from my place of residence. Am not willing to travel that far. I am sorry.

But hey, I can always change and transfer. Many students forget that is a thing that exists.  ;)

And ACU technically isn't in the CBD. It's in Fitzroy. And the campus is smaller. I like that.
VCE Class of 2019