Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 10, 2019, 07:21:30 am

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 9363 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +888
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2019, 05:04:39 pm »
+3
So I just came back from retail therapy and holy smokes it was stressful to shop there because it was so crowded! (Side note: this is more like a mini haul considering how I've already bought a lot of makeup lmao).

Nude By Nature Essential Collection
After a month of wanting to buy this collection (and missing out the Chemist Warehouse sale ;-;) I finally bought the Essential Collection! It was also the last one there so I'm feel lucky lol. All of the brushes feel very soft and I like how each brush is labelled (for brush noobs like me). I've tried all of them except for the lip brush, eyeliner brush and the blending brush.

Starting with the concealer brush, I was a bit confused on how to use it because I was so used to using a beauty sponge. I think I just need to get used to not applying as much concealer since the brush doesn't absorb as much product. It felt a bit weird because I'm used to using a damp sponge so using it dry was a bit of an experience (was I even supposed to wet it lmao). Apart from my confusion, it did apply my concealer nicely and I'm surprised I don't see any streaks of concealer on my face.

The powder brush was nice and soft to use. I will say the brush is a lot smaller than my Elf Flawless Face Brush, so I guess it could also be used for a blush brush as well, but I think I'll just stick to using it for my pressed powder. The kabuki brush was a bit confusing since I thought the powder brush should be enough for my pressed powder but I guess I have another brush for some loose/pressed powder? I decided to use it as my blush brush. Even though it's small, it still does its job of applying blush to my cheeks. Then we have the eyeshadow brush. On the box it says to use it to put an eyeshadow base all over the lid but I'm using it as my highlighter brush.

And then we have the makeup bag itself. I was surprised to see those elastic brush holders in the bag- I thought it was just gonna be like a pencil case type bag. I'm also impressed that I can fit my face products in there. At the moment, it's carrying two pressed powders (I'll get to this in the next section lol), concealer, blush and highlighter. It also fits in my bag so now I can actually do my makeup on the train rather than rushing in the morning lol.

L'oreal Wake Up and Glow Melon Dollar Baby Blush
Before buying this, I was constantly tossing over Melon Dollar Baby and Life's A Peach. I saw a lot of good reviews of Life's A Peach and how they say it gives a warm glow (kinda like a blush + bronzer shade) and it's a buildable colour. But when I swatched it today, it looked a bit more of an orange colour. This was the first blush I've bought so I thought Melon Dollar Baby felt like the right shade for me. In the summer my cheeks can get naturally flushed so Melon Dollar Baby felt like the nice shade to wear, especially during the winter. One thing I'd like to point out is that because Life's A Peach had a mirror in it, I thought that Melon Dollar Baby would have a mirror as well. But when I got home, there was no mirror. I spent 30 minutes trying to pry it open there's no mirror. I was so excited because I'm desperate for a compact mirror which is why I'm carrying two pressed powders at the moment because one of them has a mirror in it (yes I'm that desperate).

Apart from the packaging issue, I do love the colour. It's light but it makes it easy for me to build it up. I can build up the colour during the winter and when it's summer, I can lightly apply it so my face doesn't look too pink. Plus, it smells like watermelon so that's a bonus. And once again, there was only one Melon Dollar Baby blush when I was there so lucky me!

Also, since when did Priceline sell Physician's Formula?! When I was waiting in line to pay, there was the discounted products near the cash registers and I stumbled across the Physician's Formula Butter Blush (although it doesn't look like a matte blush so I didn't get it).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:52:03 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1379
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:28 pm »
+2
Has anyone used the Mario Badescu face sprays? What did you guys think? I have the setting spray and really love it, but I was wondering if it would be worth investing in either of the others?

I've tried the Rosewater one and I personally don't like it. I don't find it hydrating at all surprisingly. I heard if you wanted to get a setting spray, probs best to invest in a product that's actually a setting spray rather than getting a face spray. But then again that is the opinion of a few, so you can always try the $10!! I've heard other people do like the product.

Starting with the concealer brush, I was a but confused on how to use it because I was so used to using a beauty sponge. I think I just need to get used to not applying as much concealer since the brush doesn't absorb as much product. It felt a bit weird because I'm used to using a damp sponge so using it dry was a bit of an experience (was I even supposed to wet it lmao). Apart from my confusion, it did apply my concealer nicely and I'm surprised I don't see any streaks of concealer on my face.

So so weird, I have this same experience too with their concealer brush!!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Part of the furniture
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:15 pm »
+1
Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering if anyone can explain facial moisturiser to me. Should I be using one? Why does it feel like I break out whenever I do? How do I pick a good one?

Slapping oil on my pores seems counterintuitive to me.... but heaps of people seem to make it work well.
the cage is shattered
the songbird sings
of her freedom once more

soars in blue
basks in the light
leaving nothing
but notes behind

she is never going
back in that cage

DrDusk

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I exist in the fourth dimension
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2019, 11:43:34 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering if anyone can explain facial moisturiser to me. Should I be using one? Why does it feel like I break out whenever I do? How do I pick a good one?

Slapping oil on my pores seems counterintuitive to me.... but heaps of people seem to make it work well.
I used to break out a lot as well a few months ago but what I've found is if I reduced my daily sugar intake, everything suddenly went away. Unless it's something to do with hormones or an issue you can't control, it's always better to check your diet and lifestyle and what not before putting artificial products on your skin imo. =)

iirc oily skin can also cause pimples? idk I'm no expert on this field but it seems counter-intuitive to me too.
HSC/Prelim Physics tutor
BSc(Advanced)(Hons Adv Physics)/BSc(Computer Science) in Cyber-Security @ UNSW 2019

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2218
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »
+3

Just use a lighter moisturiser :) Simple make a good one for cheap, and I also like Sukin (particularly because they're a natural skincare brand, cruelty free etc and I have super sensitive skin and they don't make me break out)
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1379
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2019, 01:00:33 pm »
+2

Hey! Depends on your skin type. Do you have normal, oily, dry, combination, etc?

The oil free moisturiser from Neutrogena is pretty swell! Leaves your face super moisturised whilst not being oily!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Part of the furniture
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:35 am »
+1
Hey! Depends on your skin type. Do you have normal, oily, dry, combination, etc?

The oil free moisturiser from Neutrogena is pretty swell! Leaves your face super moisturised whilst not being oily!
Thanks bea! I have no idea what skin type I have. I'd say it's probably somewhere between normal and oily. The Neutrogena one looks great; I'll have to check it out!
the cage is shattered
the songbird sings
of her freedom once more

soars in blue
basks in the light
leaving nothing
but notes behind

she is never going
back in that cage

AngelWings

• MOTM: NOV 17
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +802
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2019, 03:44:22 pm »
As for my go to brands, I love Etude House, The Face Shop and Innisfree. -snip- Although Innisfree is difficult to find in Australia, they recently set up an Australian-based Instagram account, but I'm not sure what they're planning here.
Sorry to bring up something a year old, but what are your updated thoughts on Innisfree face products? I'm about to sample a few of their products, but I wanted to hear someone else's thoughts first. I tend to have normal to dry skin, but my sibling (who I'll be sharing products with to cut on expenses, as I dislike putting many face products on my face and... uh, I honestly forget most of the time) is a bit more on the drier side.
VCE: Psychology | English Language | LOTE | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics | Chemistry                  
Uni: (Hons)

VTAC Important Dates | Change of Preference Days 2019

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +888
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2019, 06:23:58 pm »
+2
Sorry to bring up something a year old, but what are your updated thoughts on Innisfree face products? I'm about to sample a few of their products, but I wanted to hear someone else's thoughts first. I tend to have normal to dry skin, but my sibling (who I'll be sharing products with to cut on expenses, as I dislike putting many face products on my face and... uh, I honestly forget most of the time) is a bit more on the drier side.
Hey there,

Keep in mind that Iíve only used Innisfree sheet masks so my experiences are quite limited.

For context, I have normal to dry skin as well and Iíve never really had any skin issues (with the exception of a pimple here and there). Personally I think the best way to start getting into skin care or even trying out a new product is sheet masks because you donít need to worry about starting a full-on skin care routine (they do recommend using a toner before using a sheet mask but Iíve never really bothered with using toners lol). Iíd recommend using tea tree, green tea and aloe vera sheet masks - these are great for hydration. Iíd avoid using flower-based products because these products have alcohol in them for the fragrance and alcohol can be harsh on your skin.

I also donít like putting too many products on my face so I would suggest a sheet mask once a week so youíre not overwhelming your skin.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW