FREE lectures this September + October | HSC Head Start + Exam Revision: book here | QCE Head Start: book here | VCE Exam Revision: book here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 16, 2019, 08:02:19 am

Author Topic: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program  (Read 1053 times)

Erutepa

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • )(
  • Respect: +416
Re: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
+2
There aren't heaps of events,  but I found the student community to be quite valuable :)
I am also a kwonger and agree that the main perk is the community aspect of the program, although I do much prefer the community here at AN ;)

For my school 2 people were selected and if I remebr correctly my application mainly revolved around my work experience in year 10, community action in year 9, my job, and my running as an extra curricular activity.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 102 (with a dapper koala)
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +6168
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 04:40:34 pm »
I am also a kwonger and agree that the main perk is the community aspect of the program, although I do much prefer the community here at AN ;)

For my school 2 people were selected and if I remebr correctly my application mainly revolved around my work experience in year 10, community action in year 9, my job, and my running as an extra curricular activity.

What's the community feel like?
One wug.

Erutepa

• Forum Obsessive
  • )(
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 08:45:35 pm »
+1
What's the community feel like?
Its really just a big group of fellow year 12s who are fairly academically motivated. I'd say that the community is fairly casual and not a whole lot of actual academic discussion.
Tthere are a few in-person meetups to mingle with people (I ain't a massive fan of mingling tho :-\) and there's like a massive facebook group chat and whatnot. However, there are just too many people for my liking and its hard to interact with a group as big as that and from what I've seen, people seem to just end up forming smaller friendship groups within it. I honestly haven't been that involved in the community as I prefer to spend my time here though.
Qualifications
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

Snow Leopard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 08:50:53 pm »
Its really just a big group of fellow year 12s who are fairly academically motivated. I'd say that the community is fairly casual and not a whole lot of actual academic discussion.
Tthere are a few in-person meetups to mingle with people (I ain't a massive fan of mingling tho :-\) and there's like a massive facebook group chat and whatnot. However, there are just too many people for my liking and its hard to interact with a group as big as that and from what I've seen, people seem to just end up forming smaller friendship groups within it. I honestly haven't been that involved in the community as I prefer to spend my time here though.
Do you reckon it's worth it?
Feeling unmotivated? Check out some quotes here: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=186285.0
My Work Experience Guide for Year 9's/Year 10's: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187438.msg1131904#msg1131904

Erutepa

• Forum Obsessive
  • )(
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:08 pm »
+1
Depends.
I'm not finding it particularly useful, but plenty of people seem to really enjoy it.
It does give some good opportunities to hang around Melbourne uni and you get a library card that gives you access to their libraries (which is pretty cool if you live near). iirc there are also some selection privileges that come with it (I think some courses' required ATAR is lowered).
Qualifications
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

ashmi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 09:14:33 pm »
+3
Just like Erutepa said, it really does depend on the person.

I really like it as you do get some privileges such as the libraries which is pretty cool. (there was even one about an allowance if you choose to study abroad). The program does offer VCE lectures and all of which are exclusive for KLD Scholars. They even had a thing on open day called the 'High achievers lounge' which you get to go in (was a weird experience). The KLD program is mainly to get bright students together and you make some quality friends out of it. I do prefer the AN community because the KLD cohort is massive and quite hard to be involved if you aren't the type to go up to random people.  ;D
2019: Further Maths [Aim: 47]

2020: Methods | PDT | Chemistry | Physics | English

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"

KLD Scholar Class of 2020 (Melb Uni)
Next: -> NYSF 2020 @ Canberra.

☆The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE Journal☆