Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:28:20 am

Author Topic: How should I study for HSC exams?  (Read 4482 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
How should I study for HSC exams?
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:45:05 pm »
+15

As they always are, HSC exams are upcoming.

Do I start this thread to, like, scare or worry you? Nah – quite the opposite. I start this thread to spitball about how to best use that time, and to offer some thoughts of my own.

NOTE: I actually sat the VCE and initially posted this thread on the VCE board, but am re-posting here as the advice still holds true for the HSC. :)

How many practice exams should I do?
Spoiler
How long is a piece of string?

This is a really fruitless question, but also an understandable one. Heaps of people say that doing practice exams is the best form of revision, and I don’t necessarily disagree with that. But there’s simply no set number that you should – or need to – be doing.

Case in point:

I scored a perfect score in one of my VCE subjects. I probably sat like 30-40 practice exams for that subject in the lead-up to the exam. Does that mean that you need to do the same? No – absolutely not.

I’m thinking of two other AN members right now who achieved the same score in the same subject. Between them, they completed one practice exam for the subject. They averaged 0.5 practice exams, whilst I sat 30-40. We achieved the same score.

They still studied, don’t get me wrong; they just studied in a different way to how I did. And that’s perfectly fine. My major point here is that there’s no answer to this question.

What I will say, though, is this:

Treat each and every practice exam you do attempt with respect. There’s simply no point cruising through practice exams. You could do 100 exams for very little gain if you’re not treating them seriously, or not getting anything out of them.

Irrespective of subject, I really, really highly recommend marking each and every one of your practice exams – or getting them marked (by, for example, your teacher). Track your progress over time. Make a note of the types of questions you’re consistently messing up.

I’m a big fan of re-doing practice exams, too, which I guess might be slightly controversial. I don’t see the issue with it, though. In fact, I used to do and re-do exams until I nailed them – until I scored 100%. Doing that a) built confidence, and b) increased skills in questions I initially wasn’t that great at.

How much should I be studying?
Spoiler
Again, hard to say.

I’d contend that most people would probably study a little more in the next month or two than they have been, but that’s not like, a hard and fast rule or anything.

From my experience, the increase was pretty gradual and, honestly, I didn’t notice it until the end of exams.

Don’t overwork. It’s great to have hefty ambitions and whatever, but don’t think doing well necessitates hour upon hour upon hour of study.

How do I manage stress before and on exam days?
Spoiler
For me, a big part of this was feeling prepared.

Good preparation = confidence = good exam performance. That was pretty much my formula.

So I guess the question is, then, how do you be prepared? The answer is pretty simple in my mind: work now, reap the rewards later. Tonight, do five practice questions. All of a sudden, you’re in a better position than you were yesterday.

Do the same thing again tomorrow, and you’re in an even better position.

Consistent (not necessarily intense) study like this didn’t stress me out too much, and also gradually built my knowledge and skills in each of my subjects. Come November, I felt confident (enough) walking into the exam room.

Otherwise, though, managing stress is really important. Make sure you take some time out for yourself. Look after yourself and your own health. I didn’t, and it came back to bite me.

Talk to people. If you’re struggling, seek help. That’s all a part of the stress management game.

On exam day, people relax in different ways. I hated talking to other people sitting the exam; they tended just to stress me out, what with their cramming and panic. As such, I stayed to myself as much as possible; I’d listen to music, read the paper, go for walks. I never studied on exam day (or the day before exam day), but different things will work for different people here.

With my results, can I still get a Band 4/5/6?
Spoiler
1.   It’s not really worth your time thinking/worrying about it.
2.   It’s very difficult to say based off only raw marks (averaging 99% or average 54% doesn’t really mean anything, as each school will have assessments of varied difficulties).
3.   If you’re still curious, jump over to the New South Wales Technical Score Discussion forum. You can also read this great article about all things technical HSC.

I'm worried about exam timing
Spoiler
That’s okay – a lot of people probably are.

I think the best thing to do here is practice exams in timed conditions. It's great if you can get 100% on the English exam, but what if it takes you six hours to do it? Realistically, you will have finite time in the exam(s), so it makes sense to practise in those conditions.

I'd go one step further and, along with the timed conditions, make the whole thing a simulated exam. If possible, sit in the room where you'll have your exam. If possible, do it at the same time as your exam. No phones, no notes (unless accepted in the actual exam), no discussion. Just you and the exam paper, with a restricted number of minutes on the clock.

That way, you can sort of work out how long each exam element should be taking you. You can also work to your strengths.

I did this quite a bit for my exams. And if I do say so myself, my timing for each was pretty impeccable. Don't get me wrong - I felt rushed at times. But I finished every paper, usually with like twenty seconds to go (ideally I would have had time to proofread, I guess).

What's sitting an HSC exam actually like?
Spoiler
On the assumption they're very similar to VCE exams, it's not so bad - pretty similar to every other test/exam you would have sat, really.

There are invigilators (the people who administer the exam and, like, walk up and down the aisles). They're nice - they're nothing to worry about. You'll have an allocated seat based on your student number. Make sure you take ID in with you. You'll have to take off your watch and put it on the table. You should take pens and stuff in in a clear bag.

There are things like that you'll get used to (which also will be the case for uni exams). Overall, it's a pretty... average? experience. Nothing too unexpected, hopefully.

What are some ways I can study?
Spoiler
If you feel like you've studied pretty well thus far, I don't see a need to change your study techniques. :)

If you want to mix it up, though, try this article!
18 Ways to Study That Aren't Completely Boring

I really liked using the syllabus, personally. NESA tells you what's assessable in a very pleasant dot-point form. Go through each of those dot-points, and make sure you're comfortable with each.

What if I stuff up?
Spoiler
You use it as a learning experience, and move on. I promise you: it's not the end of the world.

Subject scores and ATARs and all that shit probably seems super important. I felt the same way. That's natural, and to be expected - it is a big deal, considering you've spent like thirteen years of formal education ultimately leading up to these exams.

But like, what's their relevance? Probably limited, in the wider scope of things. Take them seriously, no doubt. But if you try, and don't do as well as you would have liked - well, that's not a failure.

ATAR Notes is here for y'all, 24/7. <3 Remember you can download free notes!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.