Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 26, 2019, 02:01:48 am

Author Topic: Rani_b's VCE journey  (Read 3677 times)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +38
Re: Rani_b's VCE journey
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 06:12:47 pm »
+7
ahhhh I haven't updated in a while!!

I guess because there's not much to say. Each day at school seems to pass by slowly, but then I look back and see that 8 weeks have already gone by and I didn't even realise.... I never noticed in Year 7,8,9,10 but there is definitely an air of anticipation amongst the year 12's/ people doing a 3/4 at this time of the year. The ATAR calculators seem to be popping up a lot as well  :P

I only have one more SAC left for Psych ever!! How exciting  ;D It's next week. It's a media analysis, and 20 marks is centred around Perks of being a Wallflower, and applying the mental health models to Charlie, the main character. It's a very good movie btw, definitely watch it if you haven't. Then I have a mock exam in the holidays :o

As for all my other subjects:

Lit - creative writing yay! Just have to write a short story and that's my last assessment until 1/2 exams.

English - persuasive writing

Methods - test next week on diff, pray for me

Chem - test next week on stoich, which isn't too bad

And then school ends on friday and it's time for some frantic holiday studying, crying, stress-eating (which I've already started), lying in bed staring at the ceiling and contemplating what study scores really mean anyway etc. I'm being sarcastic make sure u all eat and sleep and exercise and all that good stuff

Good luck everyone for any last sacs/ holiday studying. And also I hope everyone was happy with their UMAT score, I heard they came out!  ;D
2018: Psychology [50]

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »
+1
Good luck for all your upcoming tests/ sacs!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 08:31:09 am »
+1
Good luck for all your upcoming tests/ sacs!

Thank you!! Good luck to you too :D

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 09:30:26 pm »
+8
So it's been a while since my last entry...

My exam is in three (THREE!!) days and I am honestly,

truly,

genuinely,

legitimately,

wholeheartedly,

FRICKING EXCITED FOR IT TO BE OVER!!!

ahhhhhhhhhh

I'm going to regret saying that later on and wish I put a little more effort into studying the days before the exam but I feel like at this point, I'm ready. I'm ready to just do it, and do my best. I can't deal with all this anticipation and nervousness. I also feel as though I'm getting worse with every question I do, not better.

Yeah, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Good luck to everyone for their upcoming exams! I hope you all do amazing <3

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:32:41 pm by rani_b »

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »
+6
EXAMS ARE OVER!
Well they were over a while ago but I'm a lazy person  :)

After exams, my school jumped straight into Year 12 coursework which has been simultaneously advantageous and stressful. I feel like I haven't had a proper chance to relax after exams as Year 12 classes went full steam ahead two days later, so I'm really excited for holidays and to just take a breather to reset. On the other hand, the same thing happened last year and it was helpful because I got a Headstart on my Psych work.

In Year 12 I'm doing Methods, Further, English, Lit and Chem. As you can see, I'm more into the basic maths, science and english subjects, not all the arts, humanities etc. So, after a week of classes this is what I'm feeling:

Methods
Pretty good!! Of course, we're not doing anything that hard, just the starting chapters. I'm so relieved I have my favourite teacher! Each year, waiting for the teachers to be announced for each subject is so stressful because everyone knows who the good teachers are and no one wants to end up in a class with a teacher who isn't...ahem... the best. I'm a bit nervous for methods though - it seems that everyone I know says it gets very hard and the SAC's don't sound very fun.

Further
Okay, I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally don't like this subject. I know I shouldn't form such a strong opinion so early on... and well,  I'll probably switch my thoughts about Methods and Further later into the year.

English
I'm excited for this! We started poems. That's all.

Lit
this subject is going to be LITTT an original pun. I can feel it. I don't know which one I'll end up liking more: English or Lit?

Chemistry
Ah chemistry. I always enter not knowing if I'll love it or despise it. Honestly, chemistry is super interesting but some of the concepts are very difficult to wrap your head around. It's like maths.

So that's all! Very short, but I've only had 4 days as a year 12 so far. Eeeek. Year 12. Scary. *shudders*

I probably won't post for a while, because HOLIDAYS!!! Or maybe I'll post on results day. If I like my result. Fingers crossed.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +1714
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
+3
Great to see you back on the forums! :)

I'm glad to hear that you've had a positive (mainly) start to year 12 & I can't wait to see how everything unfolds. Best of luck!
2018-2021: Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) @ Monash

Leadership  ; Scientific Methodology ; Wanting to stay productive?

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:19 pm »
+12
I see this is turning out like all my physical diaries - eagerly written in when I first start, lots of enthusiasm and determination to log every day/week/month, and slowly the entries become fewer and fewer and fewer....
BUT,  that will not happen with this one! I am determined.

So. Year 12 has begun. Still feels a little strange, but I'm settling into it now.
Perks: common room privileges, year 12 jumpers, and extra attention from teachers - like the other day I asked a question in Chemistry after class, and then my teacher emailed me later asking me what my question was so she could clarify it again for me  :o no teacher has ever done that before. And my maths teacher wants to have regular meetings with each of us. I can just feel their enthusiasm for us to go well.

Not so perky: anticipation of work/ expectations of the year. I know that year 12 isn't like this study 24/7 journey and that it is a really fun year, but you can't help stressing a lil hearing about all the hard work and stress that the people older than you go through. Right now, i've got my holiday headstart so I'm set, but i still feel stressed thinking about the stress I'll have later? (i think i wrote the word stress like 5 times) Idk, I'm weird. I have got to say, the workload has increased quite dramatically, I've got so much to do!!

so how has it been so far??

Methods
A bit brain confuzzling, but I've got a good teacher who properly explains concepts so atm, I'm grasping everything. We just started transformations, my least favourite topic, but the one my teacher thinks is "the most important, because it is the basis of a lot of other topics." Great. Don't have a SAC till next term. What is a methods sac like? I know it's over a couple of lessons, but why? Is it still like a test? I have no idea.

Further
Past me: I hate further.
Me rn: YAS FURTHER

I think i just hated learning it in class because we went quite slowly, but I really liked learning the content by myself in the holidays. It's actually quite interesting, and when you lose silly marks you know you can improve by paying more attention to speed/accuracy. Whereas in Methods, I usually lose marks because I don't even know what the question wants me to do  :'( :'(

English & Lit
Both have been pretty good and just consisting of reading + annotating + discussing. My favourite period of work, before we get to all the essay-writing.

Chem
I don't love the theory in Chem as much as I loved Psych, and I don't love the maths application side like I do in Methods, so it's kind of an in between subject. Probably because we are studying fuels, and that isn't really attention capturing. But I do appreciate it as a subject and think I can go well if I'm consistent with practising both theory and application.

That's it guys! Sorry for not writing for ages. I do think everyone should have some sort of journal, especially in a stressful time period, because it really helps to organise your thoughts and lets you reflect on where you are. I'm just not so good at sticking to this haha.

Hope everyone has a good week! <3

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Oxford comma and Avett Brothers enthusiast.
  • Respect: +6107
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 03:16:36 pm »
+1
Great to hear from you - and congrats on your Psych score! ;D
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. Yeet ahoy!

Apply for a 2019/2020 TuteSmart scholarship!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 05:09:50 pm »
Great to hear from you - and congrats on your Psych score! ;D

Thank you!  ;D

huity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 06:49:12 pm »
+1
I see this is turning out like all my physical diaries - eagerly written in when I first start, lots of enthusiasm and determination to log every day/week/month, and slowly the entries become fewer and fewer and fewer....
BUT,  that will not happen with this one! I am determined.
So relatable! My physical diaries go from neatly filled out and colour-coded to lying in a dusty corner by May  ;D

Chem
I don't love the theory in Chem as much as I loved Psych, and I don't love the maths application side like I do in Methods, so it's kind of an in between subject. Probably because we are studying fuels, and that isn't really attention capturing. But I do appreciate it as a subject and think I can go well if I'm consistent with practising both theory and application.
Yeah I totally agree that fuels is heavy on the theory side than the maths application side, so it can be a bit dry to those who are more mathematically inclined. Hopefully the next few topics interest you though and it's fantastic you've already recognised the importance of both theory and application in Chem   :D

Keep us updated, love reading your entries!
Tutoring Chemistry Units 3/4 (RAW 50)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
+1
Keep us updated, love reading your entries!

Thank you! And congrats on getting into med at Monash!

huity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:30 am »
+1
Thank you, too kind  ;D All the best with Year 12, looks like you're already smashing it  :P
Tutoring Chemistry Units 3/4 (RAW 50)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:46 pm »
+6
Okay random update just to say:
IM STRESSED

Have I had any SACs? No.
Am I still dying from the workload? Yes.

asdfghjkl

Cool cool cool cool cool thatís all

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 01:26:26 pm »
+2
this is such a mood

Hahahah I was in a stressed mindset, Iím less stressed now (jk watch me get dramatic again next week)

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 09:13:12 pm »
+6
Hey guys!

So long time no update. I guess cause thereís not really much to say; itís just the usual flurry of work and assignments and SACs and tests. But, since it is fast approaching the end of term, I thought I should do a little recap.

Methods
Letís just get this one out of the way. Why is this subject so hard? I got my test mark back, which was seriously underwhelming, and now I just feel eh. Our first SAC is early next term and I am feeling quite underprepared. Plan is to revise on functions and relations relentlessly in the holidays, and APPLICATION QUESTIONS. I know I should not ďpickĒ subjects to be in my bottom two, but I have a very very very very very strong feeling this one will be. Eek.

Further
We had the second part of our SAC today and I literally nearly cried lol. The first part was group work, and that was... frustrating. We had an extra couple of mins today to finish collaborating on the first part today, and because my group had been so slow the previous lesson, we had a lot to do and I ended up doing such dumb things and losing a definite couple of marks in a rush to get everything done.

Who invented group work, especially for SACs? How is that even fair?? Iím trying not to ruminate on this, and just focus on acing the individual parts but it makes me SO annoyed. Especially because I finished the individual part quickly and had time to check over everything!! I know collaboration is important and blah blah but thatís for in class work or tests or things that donít count towards your individual mark!

We have another 2 hours tomorrow and I feel nothing about it. I should revise but I am just so tired. Today I had an early day and have accomplished nothing productive.

I like Further, I really do, but I hate it in school. My teacher is super nice and I feel mean saying this, but sheís not a great teacher (if you get what I mean). Our lessons are so dull and full of copying things down that she writes on the whiteboard, and I can really feel my motivation for this subject dwindling away.

English
This is such a good subject, which I know many people will not agree with me on. Honestly, it is such a relief on some days to just go from English to Lit and actually get what is happening. Of course, English has its trial and tribulations, a big one being time management which I seriously lack, but those are things I know I can fix before our Lang Analysis SAC next term and the exam.

Literature
I know earlier I said I get whatís happening here, but not atm. I have to write a story, which is STRESSING ME OUT BECAUSE I HAVE NO PLOT. Ah why canít I just write an essay. So much better and so much faster. Itís due next term, so basically, I am REALLY relying on these holidays so catch up, revise and get ahead! So doable.

Chemistry
Wait for itÖ Iím on track. Get what is happening, am even a little ahead, up to date on current workÖ itís a miracle. Earlier I think I said chemistry is dry, but I have come to really appreciate its reliability. You just need to know and get it, and then it just is. Thank u chemistry.

UCAT
This is always lurking.

And yeah, thatís all. Slightly ranty/negative post, but I guess that was inevitable. Things are getting stressful and crammed and hard to manage, and I guess today was my off day. I hope tomorrow is better.

PS: VCE follows me everywhere. Ads for UCAT, AtarNotes, crimson education, VCE chem tips are plastered all over my instagram, snapchat and facebook. I am so sick of the constant reminder. Does it drive anyone else crazy?? Or am I just the one who gets an ad from this ďshanaka jayakodyĒ with his medical secrets every day? I didnít know how to spell his name just then so I went on Facebook, and he was the first advert.
What. A. Surprise.