Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:09 pm

Author Topic: losing my voice before english speech  (Read 1957 times)

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
losing my voice before english speech
« on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:00 am »
Hey...
any tips on what i should do? ive got a bad cold and cant really practice my task 3 speech cos it hurts my throat and im losing my voice...what happens if i lose my voice before its due on tuesday?? :-X
bit random sorry...not sure where to post this

username2000

• Trendsetter
Re: losing my voice before english speech
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:55:12 am »
Hey...
any tips on what i should do? ive got a bad cold and cant really practice my task 3 speech cos it hurts my throat and im losing my voice...what happens if i lose my voice before its due on tuesday?? :-X
bit random sorry...not sure where to post this
i have tried modifying this post but it wont work...should i post it on general health and wellbeing in winter instead? trouble is it wont delete??

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:11:39 am »
+2
Not sure if it's the same in NSW but you should be able to get a medical certificate if you can't talk properly on tuesday. You might be able to use a medical certificate now to get an extension even if your voice is better on Tuesday but I don't know if that's allowed.

You can't delete threads, but someone will move it if they want
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

username2000

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:22:31 am »
Not sure if it's the same in NSW but you should be able to get a medical certificate if you can't talk properly on tuesday. You might be able to use a medical certificate now to get an extension even if your voice is better on Tuesday but I don't know if that's allowed.

You can't delete threads, but someone will move it if they want
thanks PhoenixxFire :)

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:39:54 am »
Hi,

Shame you're feeling sick, that sucks. Personally, I'd speak to your HoF or Deputy Principal (or whoever is responsible) and ask them what you think you should do (not sitting the assessment, or sitting it anyway and getting a illness/misadventure). I'd advise you to be careful and to check your assessment policies manual (schools have different names, but it essentially outlines the assessment processes). You'll definitely need to go to the doctors, but more than that, they will usually need to fill out a specific form.

Most schools are really supportive, but some aren't, just make sure you do everything by the books.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:09:08 pm »
Hey! Agree with above, a medical certificate is a great step (provided you still don't have a voice on the day). Speeches rely on being able to project, which you can't do with a bad throat! If it will impact your performance in any way, you should be allowed to either do that part of the task later, or have it taken into consideration in marking. Either way you'll need that certificate :)

If you don't have a bad voice on the day, they probably won't be able to help you, even if it has impacted your prep.

You should still be able to practice! Just do the speech exactly as you'd do it, but mouth the words instead of actually saying them :)