Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Is anyone preparing for 2 related texts for discovery?  (Read 1422 times)

annelee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is anyone preparing for 2 related texts for discovery?
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:46:46 pm »
I was looking at past year AOS papers (like way back to 2005)
some year asked for 2 related texts but this was like for journey AOS
so is there a possibility for them to ask for 2 related texts this year and should i prepare ?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Is anyone preparing for 2 related texts for discovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »
+2
so is there a possibility for them to ask for 2 related texts this year and should i prepare ?
Hey there,
Considering we're the last group to use the old syllabus, NESA may throw us under the bus and ask for 2 related texts. However, my teacher did recommend to use the unseen texts as a related text if they ask for 2, considering how you already know there's a component of discovery in the unseen texts. However, you can prepare for another related text if that makes you uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:17:41 pm »
There's definitely always a chance that they will do it. As owidjajas said, they may throw us under the bus.
Yes, I have 2 up my sleeve, but 1 is very generally prepared and not as in depth.
The other 1 is quite well studied.
All in all, you should have techniques/quotes for both texts, but 1 should be your primary text to use. Studying a second one in alot of depth takes away from your subjects.
But in the end its up to you!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »
+2
If anything, you can always use your Modules related text as your second RT— you know the quotes and analysis for it, it’s just a matter of tying it together with discovery :)
I really hope NESA doesn’t decide to throw y’all under the bus this year! Good luck x
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:59 pm »
+1

I am scared they might ask this as well! However, just having finished Module C, the related text I picked can double as a related text for discovery. In the case it happens I can just reuse the text. Also, maybe think about if you have 2 related texts during the exam you can use the text that may be easier to manipulate to the question.
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:38:06 pm »

Hi...
I have a second related text prepared - but it's a short story, so it's fairly straight forward and easy to remember. It probably depends on how you like to work, but having a second related or just using unseen/ other module texts can work just as well as each other.

If you do decide to find a second one, be sure not to go overboard with finding 'the perfect' one and analysing it...You don't want to neglect your other subjects/topics for the sake of a prediction. Simple texts, like short stories and poems, songs and visual texts will work well.  :)

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD