Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:34 pm

Author Topic: Volunteering/extracurricular/development opportunities at uni  (Read 4399 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+7
Okay, so, the idea of this thread is to have a place where a student currently studying at any uni can get ideas for ways to get involved, whether they be voluntary or paid, academic or social, on-campus or off-campus, temporary or ongoing. I think you get the drift.

I know for a fact that heaps of people on this forum would be involved with things at uni further to their studies, and this is the place to share those things. ;D We'll keep this opening post up-to-date, including sections for each uni and for university students in general (so, applicable to everybody).

I'll start us off in the next post (unless somebody beats me) as to not clutter this one. :)

GENERAL UNIVERSITY:
Spoiler
Any university: The Undergraduate Awards: - Joseph41
Spoiler
The Undergraduate Awards is an international program that aims to recognise really high-quality undergraduate work. Basically, you submit your essays/papers or whatever (maximum of three), they get judged, and if it's good enough, you win some pretty sweet prizes. It's all free. Winners even get a trip to Ireland for the annual Global Summit. :o I've been involved with The Undergraduate Awards in the past, and have had nothing but good experiences.

Video:

You'll probably want to read the FAQ and how to submit pages, because there are some limitations around what you can submit and the like. The deadline for this year is 12 June 2018. Penultimate and ultimate year uni students, plus those who graduated in 2017, are eligible.
Victorian universities: VCESS: - Joseph41
Spoiler
VCESS (the VCE Summer School) is a tutoring program for VCE students over Summer. It's run by the Student Union of the University of Melbourne but is, to my knowledge, open to anybody to get involved (for example, I went to Monash, but was involved with VCESS). You can learn more here, but you basically have a really great opportunity to help VCE students with content knowledge, plus a whole range of other things. I know that some people on this forum are much more involved with VCESS than I ever was, so I'll leave it to them to build on this. :)
Some universities: Society work: - RuiAce
Spoiler
This can usually be defined into two categories: Loose volunteering v.s. Role with the society

Loose volunteering
Some larger societies will open up small opportunities on an occasional basis. These have a tendency to be for events (e.g. fundraisers, promotions, organising/leading events, O-week stalls, free BBQs etc). Usually you don't need to be "qualified" for these things, but for something such as a camp leader it'd obviously be preferred if you've been to a camp before.

There's usually no harm in applying for these, as they are generally very chill, one-off things. Of course, it's expected that you do your job properly, but they're intended to be stress-free (or even stress-reducing)

Role with the society
Most societies have a hierarchical system, something along the lines of this.

- Executive team
These members are typically elected at a society's annual general meeting (AGM), by essentially the members that are present. These members are the first-in-line responsible for everything in the society. Popularity is helpful, but the way you carry out your tasks will be watched closely (everyone relies on you in determining the society's direction for the year).

The executive team typically involves 4-12 people (depending on the size of the society). Common positions include the president (or co-presidents), the vice president, the treasurer and the secretary. A good executive doesn't have to focus on his/her society 24/7, but should consistently be aware of what's happening among its members, it's upcoming events and also other managerial matters.

- Director
Note: Some societies include the directors in the executive team.
Whereas the executive team focus on the society's function as a whole (and also what each director is doing), the directors are responsible for a specific part of it. These could involve events, IT, marketing, socials, education, sponsorship and so on. Applications for directorship roles typically open up not long after the new executive team have been voted in.

A good exec/director is a leader. They will actively be contributing (in whatever ways possible) towards the good of the society. They are usually the first point-of-contact regarding a society's matters and what services/events it offers.

- Subcommittee member
Some larger societies establish a few subcoms (looked after by the directors) as an additional form of direct involvement with the society. The subcom member generally helps carry out the operations established by the director, however better subcom members will introduce new ideas as well. Directors are generally expected to be reasonably experienced with their duties, but subcom members can be very new to it all and acquire a bunch of useful skills throughout their 6-11 months of involvement.
Some universities: Academic tutoring: - RuiAce
Spoiler
Many faculties will seek to hire undergraduate students for tutoring opportunities (although not every faculty will). Tutors are valued for their ability to teach (not necessarily the marks, although good marks help) and willingness to actually spend time focusing on students' needs.

In some (arguably many) scenarios you will start with an easier role than actual tutoring. This could involve being a revision class holder, or just a lab assistant. Your responsibilities, whilst serious, are a bit more relaxed because you do not have the added pressure of things like marking, supervising and preparing for lessons alone.

Tutorial sizes generally range from 18 to 40 (although in some cases there are small tutorials of 5; been in one myself, and huge ones of up to 60). The way tutorials are run differ for each faculty, however you should be familiar with how they work (roughly), because you've sat through a bunch of them :P

SPECIFIC UNIVERSITIES: VICTORIA:
Spoiler
MONASH UNIVERSITY:
Spoiler
Monash University: Peers Ambassadors Leaders (PAL) Program: - Joseph41
Spoiler
This is a really fantastic voluntary mentoring-type program that I was lucky to be involved in near the end of my degree. It's for Arts students, but I'm sure there are similar programs for other faculties.

You can watch an explanatory video here:

I'm not a very social person, but it's genuinely fantastic for both first-year students (who get a personal mentor to guide them through their first year), and also for older students, who can develop their leadership skills and really contribute meaningfully to the broader community. I made some good friends through the program and absolutely have no regrets getting involved (I should have got involved sooner, really).
Monash University: Vice-Chancellor's Ancora Imparo Leadership Program: - Joseph41
Spoiler
I had no idea about this program until halfway through my second year, which was pretty disappointing, as it's only available to second years. It's a pretty comprehensive leadership program for accepted Monash students, and has a number of facets. I'm going to draw pretty heavily on the website here, as I wasn't involved in the program. It involves:

* Three-day leadership workshop off-campus
* A series of eight leadership seminars
* Opt-in service learning project
* Stipend of $500
Ask Me (All Monash AU campuses): - insanipi
Spoiler
This was an optional part of my mentoring duties at Parkville during the first few weeks of semester this year, and it included some training before orientation week, partially face-to-face, and partially online. Comes with a free hoodie and a t-shirt. Participants in the programs are then encouraged to apply for Monash's Cert IV(* Need to double check this) in Active Volunteering during their next summer/winter break (I haven't personally looked too much into this haha).
Monash Parkville's Peer Mentoring Program: - insanipi
Spoiler
The link for this disappeared with the construction of the new Monash Pharm website, but I'll give a quick run down!
Because Monash Parkville is small, the faculty can hold its own little shindig for orientation- which includes having 2nd+ years in both Pharm and PharmSci being available to guide a group of 5-10 (depending on the year- this year I had 9) first years throughout the first couple months/the first year, acting as a 'first contact'. It was pretty fun, and involved 2 days of Mental Health First Aid training (you also have the option of becoming accredited, highly recommend) and a day of face-to-face training. Also included a lot of food and a free polo! :D

SPECIFIC UNIVERSITIES: NEW SOUTH WALES:
Spoiler
UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES:
Spoiler
Arts and Social Sciences Peer Mentoring: - katie,rinos
Spoiler
I was involved this year (as a first year) in this program and it was where I made my first friends who were doing music. I had a really amazing group and mentor that met each week (up to week 7) for an hour to adjust to uni life. We worked on stuff like finding our way around uni, being a part of clubs/extra-curriculars, adjusting to uni teaching style (moodle, textbooks, in-text citations), and knowing how to use the library. I found it really helpful and enjoyable.

You can also volunteer to become a mentor in your 2nd and above years!
This and this should give some more info!!
UNSW Wind Symphony:/Orchestra - katie,rinos
Spoiler
I’m a part of Wind Symphony at the moment and it’s been really fun this semester. Both of these ensembles are under the society SOAP (Society of Orchestra and Pipers) and rehearse on Tuesdays. Wind Symphony doesn’t require an audition and rehearses from 4-6:15pm in Clancy Auditorium. The orchestra requires an audition during o-week and runs from 6:30-9 at Clancy. We have had two different sets of pieces and concerts this semester. There is a membership fee of $25 for one semester and $45 a year for Arc members.
Peer mentoring: - RuiAce
Spoiler
Description
In first year, many of you would've been encouraged to attend peer mentoring sessions. These are supposed to be VERY relaxed sessions, with your mentors job being able to help you transition into university (not things like reflect on what you did over the past week).

The role is meant to not be academics related at all (even though you can help them with it from time to time). You're there to essentially be someone they can look up to for 6-9 weeks (and potentially transform into a friendship in the long run). You're there to show them that it's really not that daunting, comfort/empathise with them through difficulty and help put the 'fun' into their university experience.

When I was a mentee, and almost always when I was a mentor, our sessions were just games and banter. Literally, just those two things can make a huge difference.
Small, non-exhaustive list of peer mentoring opportunities
- Official peer mentoring of UNSW
- UNSW Science peer mentoring
- UNSW Arts/Social Sciences peer mentoring
- Business Society peer mentoring
- Economics Society peer mentoring
- Actuarial Society peer mentoring
- CSE Society peer mentoring
- Medicine Society peer mentoring
- UNSW Engineering peer mentoring
- Aviation Society peer mentoring
- LawPLUS
On the side academic assistance: - RuiAce
Spoiler
Brief description
Academic assistance isn't only provided through the tutorials/laboratory. There are also some external sources that you can be involved in.
Quick examples
UNSW Business:
- Pass leader
- Peer support revision classes (run by societies)

UNSW Maths:
- Drop-in centre (because at the time of post I work there :D)

Generic:
- Revision seminars (usually run by societies)
- Nura Gili tuition program

AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY:
Spoiler
ANU+: - strawberries
Spoiler
To be honest I personally haven't done much for ANU+ yet, but it's a great initiative. Basically, if you do 100hrs+ of volunteering (many people do much more though) throughout your undergraduate degree (60hrs for postgrads), you get a ANU+ certificate upon graduation. You will have to write reflections for each 20hrs you do. To join, I believe you have to attend a compulsory info session/workshop and complete OH&S modules on Wattle. There's a list of organizations you can volunteer with (e.g. Red Cross), but if there's something you want to do too you can always run it through Student Experience & Career Development and ask. You do have to get someone from where you're volunteering also to sign you off to show you've completed X hrs at that place.
- in addition to volunteering for such charities, on campus volunteering also exists too. You can volunteer at your Residential Hall, ANU Sport and through other ANU initiatives. This year, I was a mentor/Orientation Leader for the SET4ANU program which welcomes new incoming students to university :)

Updated to reply #007.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:02:13 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
Re: Volunteering/extracurricular/development opportunities at uni
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:26:34 am »
+4
Monash University: Peers Ambassadors Leaders (PAL) Program:
Spoiler
This is a really fantastic voluntary mentoring-type program that I was lucky to be involved in near the end of my degree. It's for Arts students, but I'm sure there are similar programs for other faculties.

You can watch an explanatory video here:

I'm not a very social person, but it's genuinely fantastic for both first-year students (who get a personal mentor to guide them through their first year), and also for older students, who can develop their leadership skills and really contribute meaningfully to the broader community. I made some good friends through the program and absolutely have no regrets getting involved (I should have got involved sooner, really).

Any university: The Undergraduate Awards:
Spoiler
The Undergraduate Awards is an international program that aims to recognise really high-quality undergraduate work. Basically, you submit your essays/papers or whatever (maximum of three), they get judged, and if it's good enough, you win some pretty sweet prizes. It's all free. Winners even get a trip to Ireland for the annual Global Summit. :o I've been involved with The Undergraduate Awards in the past, and have had nothing but good experiences.

Video:

You'll probably want to read the FAQ and how to submit pages, because there are some limitations around what you can submit and the like. The deadline for this year is 12 June 2018. Penultimate and ultimate year uni students, plus those who graduated in 2017, are eligible.

Victorian universities: VCESS:
Spoiler
VCESS (the VCE Summer School) is a tutoring program for VCE students over Summer. It's run by the Student Union of the University of Melbourne but is, to my knowledge, open to anybody to get involved (for example, I went to Monash, but was involved with VCESS). You can learn more here, but you basically have a really great opportunity to help VCE students with content knowledge, plus a whole range of other things. I know that some people on this forum are much more involved with VCESS than I ever was, so I'll leave it to them to build on this. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:17:16 pm by Joseph41 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:56 am »
+3
Monash University: Vice-Chancellor's Ancora Imparo Leadership Program:
Spoiler
I had no idea about this program until halfway through my second year, which was pretty disappointing, as it's only available to second years. It's a pretty comprehensive leadership program for accepted Monash students, and has a number of facets. I'm going to draw pretty heavily on the website here, as I wasn't involved in the program. It involves:

* Three-day leadership workshop off-campus
* A series of eight leadership seminars
* Opt-in service learning project
* Stipend of $500

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
+8
UNSW
Arts and Social Sciences Peer Mentoring
Spoiler
I was involved this year (as a first year) in this program and it was where I made my first friends who were doing music. I had a really amazing group and mentor that met each week (up to week 7) for an hour to adjust to uni life. We worked on stuff like finding our way around uni, being a part of clubs/extra-curriculars, adjusting to uni teaching style (moodle, textbooks, in-text citations), and knowing how to use the library. I found it really helpful and enjoyable.

You can also volunteer to become a mentor in your 2nd and above years!
This and this should give some more info!!

UNSW Wind Symphony/Orchestra
Spoiler
I’m a part of Wind Symphony at the moment and it’s been really fun this semester. Both of these ensembles are under the society SOAP (Society of Orchestra and Pipers) and rehearse on Tuesdays. Wind Symphony doesn’t require an audition and rehearses from 4-6:15pm in Clancy Auditorium. The orchestra requires an audition during o-week and runs from 6:30-9 at Clancy. We have had two different sets of pieces and concerts this semester. There is a membership fee of $25 for one semester and $45 a year for Arc members. SOAP also has social events throughout the semester such as bowling nights, a vivid cruise, bushwalking, ice skating and a ball.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:40:59 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
+6
Monash:

Ask Me (All Monash AU campuses)
Spoiler
This was an optional part of my mentoring duties at Parkville during the first few weeks of semester this year, and it included some training before orientation week, partially face-to-face, and partially online. Comes with a free hoodie and a t-shirt. Participants in the programs are then encouraged to apply for Monash's Cert IV(* Need to double check this) in Active Volunteering during their next summer/winter break (I haven't personally looked too much into this haha).

Monash Parkville's Peer Mentoring Program
Spoiler
The link for this disappeared with the construction of the new Monash Pharm website, but I'll give a quick run down!
Because Monash Parkville is small, the faculty can hold its own little shindig for orientation- which includes having 2nd+ years in both Pharm and PharmSci being available to guide a group of 5-10 (depending on the year- this year I had 9) first years throughout the first couple months/the first year, acting as a 'first contact'. It was pretty fun, and involved 2 days of Mental Health First Aid training (you also have the option of becoming accredited, highly recommend) and a day of face-to-face training. Also included a lot of food and a free polo! :D

General/Other Monash things:
- Get involved with societies and clubs, most have OGMs around weeks 3-5 of semester 1, with most clubs having heaps of positions to fill.
- I'm under the belief that Monash run free MHFA courses throughout the semester for students (Someone please double check this for me <3 )
- Monash have a volunteering page that links to http://www.volunteer.org, which is where I found an external op close to home ^_^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
+7
ANU:

ANU+
Spoiler
To be honest I personally haven't done much for ANU+ yet, but it's a great initiative. Basically, if you do 100hrs+ of volunteering (many people do much more though) throughout your undergraduate degree (60hrs for postgrads), you get a ANU+ certificate upon graduation. You will have to write reflections for each 20hrs you do. To join, I believe you have to attend a compulsory info session/workshop and complete OH&S modules on Wattle. There's a list of organizations you can volunteer with (e.g. Red Cross), but if there's something you want to do too you can always run it through Student Experience & Career Development and ask. You do have to get someone from where you're volunteering also to sign you off to show you've completed X hrs at that place.
- in addition to volunteering for such charities, on campus volunteering also exists too. You can volunteer at your Residential Hall, ANU Sport and through other ANU initiatives. This year, I was a mentor/Orientation Leader for the SET4ANU program which welcomes new incoming students to university :)

Just general extracurricular things - there's a tonne more such as stuff with ANUSA, your residential hall, clubs & societies etc which I'm not too familiar with
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 05:47:52 pm »
+6
These are some fairly generic things.

Society work:
Spoiler
This can usually be defined into two categories: Loose volunteering v.s. Role with the society

Loose volunteering
Some larger societies will open up small opportunities on an occasional basis. These have a tendency to be for events (e.g. fundraisers, promotions, organising/leading events, O-week stalls, free BBQs etc). Usually you don't need to be "qualified" for these things, but for something such as a camp leader it'd obviously be preferred if you've been to a camp before.

There's usually no harm in applying for these, as they are generally very chill, one-off things. Of course, it's expected that you do your job properly, but they're intended to be stress-free (or even stress-reducing)

Role with the society
Most societies have a hierarchical system, something along the lines of this.

- Executive team
These members are typically elected at a society's annual general meeting (AGM), by essentially the members that are present. These members are the first-in-line responsible for everything in the society. Popularity is helpful, but the way you carry out your tasks will be watched closely (everyone relies on you in determining the society's direction for the year).

The executive team typically involves 4-12 people (depending on the size of the society). Common positions include the president (or co-presidents), the vice president, the treasurer and the secretary. A good executive doesn't have to focus on his/her society 24/7, but should consistently be aware of what's happening among its members, it's upcoming events and also other managerial matters.

- Director
Note: Some societies include the directors in the executive team.
Whereas the executive team focus on the society's function as a whole (and also what each director is doing), the directors are responsible for a specific part of it. These could involve events, IT, marketing, socials, education, sponsorship and so on. Applications for directorship roles typically open up not long after the new executive team have been voted in.

A good exec/director is a leader. They will actively be contributing (in whatever ways possible) towards the good of the society. They are usually the first point-of-contact regarding a society's matters and what services/events it offers.

- Subcommittee member
Some larger societies establish a few subcoms (looked after by the directors) as an additional form of direct involvement with the society. The subcom member generally helps carry out the operations established by the director, however better subcom members will introduce new ideas as well. Directors are generally expected to be reasonably experienced with their duties, but subcom members can be very new to it all and acquire a bunch of useful skills throughout their 6-11 months of involvement.

Academic tutoring:
Spoiler
Many faculties will seek to hire undergraduate students for tutoring opportunities (although not every faculty will). Tutors are valued for their ability to teach (not necessarily the marks, although good marks help) and willingness to actually spend time focusing on students' needs.

In some (arguably many) scenarios you will start with an easier role than actual tutoring. This could involve being a revision class holder, or just a lab assistant. Your responsibilities, whilst serious, are a bit more relaxed because you do not have the added pressure of things like marking, supervising and preparing for lessons alone.

Tutorial sizes generally range from 18 to 40 (although in some cases there are small tutorials of 5; been in one myself, and huge ones of up to 60). The way tutorials are run differ for each faculty, however you should be familiar with how they work (roughly), because you've sat through a bunch of them :P

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
+5
For some generic things related to UNSW:

Peer mentoring
Description
In first year, many of you would've been encouraged to attend peer mentoring sessions. These are supposed to be VERY relaxed sessions, with your mentors job being able to help you transition into university (not things like reflect on what you did over the past week).

The role is meant to not be academics related at all (even though you can help them with it from time to time). You're there to essentially be someone they can look up to for 6-9 weeks (and potentially transform into a friendship in the long run). You're there to show them that it's really not that daunting, comfort/empathise with them through difficulty and help put the 'fun' into their university experience.

When I was a mentee, and almost always when I was a mentor, our sessions were just games and banter. Literally, just those two things can make a huge difference.
Small, non-exhaustive list of peer mentoring opportunities
- Official peer mentoring of UNSW
- UNSW Science peer mentoring
- UNSW Arts/Social Sciences peer mentoring
- Business Society peer mentoring
- Economics Society peer mentoring
- Actuarial Society peer mentoring
- CSE Society peer mentoring
- Medicine Society peer mentoring
- UNSW Engineering peer mentoring
- Aviation Society peer mentoring
- LawPLUS

On the side academic assistance
Brief description
Academic assistance isn't only provided through the tutorials/laboratory. There are also some external sources that you can be involved in.
Quick examples
UNSW Business:
- Pass leader
- Peer support revision classes (run by societies)

UNSW Maths:
- Drop-in centre (because at the time of post I work there :D)

Generic:
- Revision seminars (usually run by societies)
- Nura Gili tuition program
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:01:19 pm by RuiAce »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:03:27 pm »
+4
Loooovvvviinnnggggg it! Thanks to everybody above - I believe the OP has now been updated. ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 02:38:32 pm »
+5
Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS)

These volunteer opportunities can be accessed through two of official AFTRS FB groups (One is called the AFTRS Sandpit; current and previous students are in this group as well as people in the industry. The other is called AFTRS BA All Years; only the Bachelor students are in this group). Volunteering opportunities are also sent in our school emails and advertised on the school's website.

Key creative roles in 2nd BA/3rd BA/Masters Students Projects:
Spoiler
When everyone wants to become a director or a producer or a writer, people most often forget the other key creative roles in film. Usually the older years put out volunteer ads on the FB groups mentioned above or email everyone at the school. These key creative roles can include first assistant director, production designer, runner, editor, script supervisor and more. Obviously it's not a paid gig. But they get help on their film and you get to add something new on your resume and film experience. It's a win win for everyone! I was supposed to be first AD for a third year shoot but had to cancel for health reasons. Though I am working in the post production team for a second year film. These volunteering opportunities happen literally everyday; there's enough for everybody. It's just all about having a great portfolio and enthusiasm that will help you prove to the older years that you're capable.

Acting in 1st year films:
Spoiler
Due to the restrictions placed on first years, we aren't allowed to hire actors outside of AFTRS. We could only recruit people within our year group. People don't mind if you don't have any acting experience. They just need someone to play their character on the screen. I found myself acting in three films last week.

Extras in 2nd BA/3rd BA/Master films:
Spoiler
Often budget goes to locations and catering. Usually first years volunteer in older years' films to have experience what it's like being on set.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Orb

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +426
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »
+4
About Unimelb specifically:

Education/VCE Related
VCESS (loved my time helping out, already touched on previously)
SWOT (similar, loved my time too)
ASHA Lectures (working with them atm, great place)

Commerce related:
MMI (melbourne microfinance initiative, wonderful club to be a part of, especially if you're interested in microfinance or just joining a club with great vibes)
BusinessOne (currently working with them, pro-bono consulting perfect if you wanted to work with start-ups and help them solve their business problems)

More descriptions can be found by googling/facebooking these clubs/organisations
45+ raw score guaranteed (or 100% refund) for 2022 Methods & Specialist (other subjects also available - classes for all) register now!

Also hiring excellent Methods, Chemistry, Physics, Biology + Specialist tutors with a passion for excellence - PM me!

We also now support Chemistry, Physics and Biology!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 09:13:40 pm »
+5
Campus Bible Study (CBS) 

Spoiler
I’ve been a part of CBS since the start of semester and would really recommend it to anyone who is a Christian or wanting to know more about God/Christianity. I currently go the bible talks (TBTs), and am a part of a Bible study group. The Bible talks work through a book of the Bible (e.g this sem is on Luke), go for an hour and are in a lecture style format. If you can’t make it, or would like to hear what they are like, each weeks talks and some Q&A’s are podcasted and available on the website here. The Bible study groups normally meet on the quad and there are 10 different times you can meet. They are normally with people from the same faculty (so mine has 12 girls-mainly doing arts/education) and everyone’s been really nice. Through the talks and Bible study, I have learnt and been challenged by a lot of different things. CBS also offers different training (Core theology and training). They also have a week long mid-year conference in the break between semesters 1 and 2, which I’ve been told is really interesting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:16:57 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:36 am »
+3
^Awesome!

Would love some more contributions here. I know heaps of you are involved in stuff at uni. Again, it doesn't matter how big or small. ;D