Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:19:47 pm

Author Topic: Master of none (Appleandbee’s University Journal),  (Read 1970 times)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
Master of none (Appleandbee’s University Journal),
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:49:56 pm »
+21
Hi there,

So I chose an unoriginal title at the loss of ideas, but Aziz Ansari (producer and main actor in Master of None) just won a Golden Globe, so it’s fitting. You should all go and watch it on Netflix, if you haven’t done so yet. ‘Master of none’ is the negatively-connotated philosophy that pretty much sums up the manner in which I’ve approached (unintentionally) various matters such as careers, interests and studies especially in my late high school and first year of university. I am reasonably pleased to say though, that as I’ve just finished my 2nd year of university (Bachelor of Science at Unimelb), that I’m committed to a few things that I’m very interested in (drop a lot of half-committed things after my first year of uni). It still seems like a lot to many people, but I’m genuinely interested in those things and like building up my skills in an in depth manner.

PS. If you are at Unimelb and would like to talk in real life, shoot me a message!

What am I studying/academic interests?

Spoiler
As mentioned before, I am doing a Bachelor of Science at Unimelb (two more years to go). My academic interests are: Biology (Molecular biology and genetics, Ecology + ecosystems, Biochemistry and Neuroscience), Chemistry, Anthropology (sociocultural and medical), Economics, Philosophy and Literature. I haven’t studied Lit formally (hopefully I’ll get the chance to), but I love the concept of breaking down and analysing texts, especially anything science/dytopian fiction, environmental literature and post-colonial. My university studies are centred around Biology, Chemistry, Anthropology and Philosophy. I am also completing a Micromasters program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy through MIT.

What do I do outside of my university studies?

Spoiler
I debate competitively at my university’s debating society, where I was fortunate enough to compete at national and international majors last year, with hopefully more to come. I am also involved in improv comedy/theatre which I’m really enjoying (I’m doing classes, occasional performing and jam opportunities since I started 3 month ago, getting to know the community, spending my weekend/Friday nights seeing free shows since I am a student at the theatre). I facilitate workshops, content development and write workshop outlines for an interpersonal and gendered violence initiative. Within the university, apart from debating, I am involved in the Melbourne University Health Initiative (which also organizes the SWOT programs, I may get involved in them this year) in the capacity of a Publications Officer where I’ll be in charge of editing and organising the Global Health magazine for this year (if you are interested in writing, hit me up). I am also looking to do sketch writing with the university’s comedy revue (since a friend from the theatre I’m in is very involved), the microfinance initiative as a consultant (I applied last year, but was unsuccessful after the interviews stage), Global Health Mentoring Program and the People of Colour/Women’s magazine. I am also in the works of getting a Sudanese students mentoring program to Unimelb (through an indigenous education program which I used to do mentoring at, the CEO is currently exploring the idea of having a Sudanese one at Unimelb). I also got a job last month as a presenter with a schools’ study skills workshops provider (for the last two years, I worked as debating adjudicator in the Victorian schools’ competition body, which I’ll be involved to a far lesser degree this year. I also do editorial interning). I plan on resuming Cello lessons and grades when I save up money from my new job. Furthermore, I am looking to do sport/exercise again, probably tennis and dance, since I’ve can fit them around my schedule and they are relatively injury free compared to other sports.
Outside of that, I like watching and following European football/soccer (Liverpool!!!) as well as Netflix (procrastination from my dreams of learning the art of screenwriting, filmmaking and producing). Also working to gain the motivation to learn (probably through the near impossible task of self- studying) Arabic or Hindi and improve my Spanish, if I ever find the resilience and time to do so LOL.

Why/how do I do all those things?

I mainly became a ‘doing things’ type, after high school (or maybe after halfway through my first year uni), after an existential crisis (which I define as slightly further then a mental health one). As I detailed in past posts, high school as well as the post-high school years were difficult for me. Having to find myself and my inability to know how to experience happiness after everything that happened as well as the sadness I felt whenever I saw the joy that little children possessed, made me come to realisation of what I missed out on and my lack of sense of value. That emptiness, I think, pushed me to do things that I can find joy and value in.

What do I plan to do after my undergraduate degree or post- university?

Spoiler
After my undergrad, I’ll hopefully be studying postgrad medicine and taking advantage of unique opportunities that comes by (the International Global Health case competitions look so good). I may do a JD, if I were to receive a full scholarship. Law is something I’m really interested in studying as well and could provide my opportunities in areas I’m interested in (volunteering, mooting, research, policy, more insight in areas like human trafficking, health, gender, and sexuality in international human rights law, global health law, state-building as well as environmental law), but the time and cost can’t be justified without a full scholarship, given that I’m not really interested in working in corporate or general civil law (the most common career pathways), and would end up doing medicine anyway if I can.
I also hope to gain experience in management consulting through internships (mainly because I am interested in the thinking processes in the profession as well as learning more about the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries) and tech startups aimed at social impact. I plan on furthering my journalism experience, and pitch, research, photograph and write my own feature pieces. Also pursuing my creative interests (maybe by then I’ll get into filmmaking, directing and screenwriting as well, I’ve been looking at summer courses at New York Uni Tisch for practical experience, because I can dream given the price) and volunteering interests. I also did a Neuroscience research gig, while research it interesting and I probably try to do more of it  in the future in areas I’m interested in , pursuing academia, research based masters or PhD isn’t my thing because I don’t really have the required patience and I don’t like writing grants.
Although I’m not comfortable admitting (I always say I don’t know, when people ask me what I would like to achieve), I’m planning on applying for the Rhodes Scholarship (after or during postgrads). I won’t get it, but I feel like the qualities and commitment the scholarship values, forms the best version of myself that I try to be every day. It probably means a lot because everything that has happened has shaped the person I try to be as well as the things that I do. The vision of the scholarship is enough to make me apply, as well as the fact Oxford has two courses I’m really interested, in addition to the competitive debating scene and improv group over there.

How have I found the university experience?

Spoiler
I haven’t really been as engaged in the social side of university anywhere near as much as I would have like (very little), like I have friends at university from my various extra-curriculars, but I didn’t even know the names of people in my tutorials (and didn’t make a single friend from there). This coming year, I hope to be more engaged in tutorials and make friends from my subjects.
As for the admin and student support side of university it’s hit and miss, like there was a student enrolment support person who took a month (while I provided irrelevant documentation that he requested) to tell me that I needed to apply for special consideration at a very late stage instead of a late withdrawal while providing me a reason he could have given me from the very start. Whereas I had good experiences with the Centrelink/financial aid support people, Unsatisfactory Progress Committee (which is made up of university academics, who helped me remove the financial and academic penalties from last semester when I stopped attending classes and missed the assignments/exams after a friend died and a couple of other incidents) and the Student Equity and Disability Support (SEDS) team.

In the future, I’ll probably be writing much shorter summaries and posts about my studies, about the opportunities offered and that you can be a part of, the path to postgrad, reflections about uni and the future as well as other stuff that people may be interested in.  :)

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Master of none (Appleandbee’s University Journal),
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:53 pm »
+2
A true jack of all trades  ;)