Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:37 am

Author Topic: courtney2502's VCE Journal  (Read 3466 times)

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
courtney2502's VCE Journal
« on: December 19, 2017, 11:42:02 am »
+8
I'm sort of new to this whole journal thing - but I really love the idea of doing one to reflect on at the end of Year 12!

So, my name is Courtney (obviously), and I am 17 years old and am about to begin my final year of high school. Next year, I am studying English, Further Maths, Psychology, Legal Studies and Viscom (which will be interesting considering I didn't do Units 1&2).

I did Revolutions this year and obtained a study score of 35, which I was quite happy with considering my cohort brought me down big time!!

I want to become a secondary school teacher when I finish school, which is an ATAR of 70 as of 2019, so that's what ATAR I would like, but I'm aiming for an 85 or above in case I change my mind.

In terms of study scores, the only one I want in particular is a 45 or more in English - this is because of my Year 11 English teacher... she has been so supportive of me ever since Year 9 and she does so much for not only me, but for all of her students, and I really would love nothing more but to turn around on results day and thank her for helping me to achieve such a score.

I hope you enjoy my journal if you find yourself reading it - I plan to post at least twice a week!
2017: History Revolutions [35]
2018: English [41] Further Maths [38] Psychology [41] Legal Studies [38] Viscom [37]
ATAR: 90.55
2019: Primary Education @ ACU

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: courtney2502's VCE Journal
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »
+4
Congratulations on your Revolutions score, Courtney. :) Great effort.

What made you decide to pick up Viscom? :)

Looking forward to reading your Year 12 entries. :)

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:48:26 pm »
+2
I'm sort of new to this whole journal thing - but I really love the idea of doing one to reflect on at the end of Year 12!

So, my name is Courtney (obviously), and I am 17 years old and am about to begin my final year of high school. Next year, I am studying English, Further Maths, Psychology, Legal Studies and Viscom (which will be interesting considering I didn't do Units 1&2).

I did Revolutions this year and obtained a study score of 35, which I was quite happy with considering my cohort brought me down big time!!

I want to become a secondary school teacher when I finish school, which is an ATAR of 70 as of 2019, so that's what ATAR I would like, but I'm aiming for an 85 or above in case I change my mind.

In terms of study scores, the only one I want in particular is a 45 or more in English - this is because of my Year 11 English teacher... she has been so supportive of me ever since Year 9 and she does so much for not only me, but for all of her students, and I really would love nothing more but to turn around on results day and thank her for helping me to achieve such a score.

I hope you enjoy my journal if you find yourself reading it - I plan to post at least twice a week!
What's history revolutions like? :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:35:35 pm »
+3
Quote from: courtney2502
Well done, it's a challenging but wonderful and rewarding career. Good luck to you :)

if you hadn't already observed, I am currently a graduate teacher working at the moment.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
+1
Congratulations on your Revolutions score, Courtney. :) Great effort.

What made you decide to pick up Viscom? :)

Looking forward to reading your Year 12 entries. :)

Thank you so so much! That means a lot!

In Year 11 I was doing Studio Arts and I hated it - usually I love art, but it was so unstructured and we were left to do our own thing, which is probably good for most people, but for me, I need guidance. I picked up Viscom because I knew after talking to the teacher that it is somewhat more teacher directed, and if I liked, she could make the whole thing more guided for me - if that makes sense? I also wanted to have a folio subject just in case I had a change of heart in my uni course and I needed one!! :)

2018: English [41] Further Maths [38] Psychology [41] Legal Studies [38] Viscom [37]

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:45:17 pm »
+1
What's history revolutions like? :)

Rewarding!! But quite challenging! For me, I didn't really know much about Revolutions or doing a Year 12 subject when I started, and I wish that I was more organised with the course work from the start of the year. The challenging thing with Revolutions is not only being able to memorise things such as dates, quotes and statistics, but also being able to apply this knowledge to questions that you are asked. So for example, when being asked a question, knowing what event or significant individual is relevant to the answer... if that makes sense? If you'd like more information let me know - I can talk for ages about Revolutions!

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:47:50 pm »
+1
Well done, it's a challenging but wonderful and rewarding career. Good luck to you :)

if you hadn't already observed, I am currently a graduate teacher working at the moment.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to be one, even though I have a fair few years of study ahead of me before I do!

If you don't mind me asking - how do you find it? I'm really nervous as I've had a few of my teachers telling me that it's hell for the first year, but you get used to it - do you agree with this?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 06:56:50 pm »
+4
If you don't mind me asking - how do you find it? I'm really nervous as I've had a few of my teachers telling me that it's hell for the first year, but you get used to it - do you agree with this?

First year is tough - the adjustment is tough. While teaching is perceived as the '8-to-3' day and that's it.. it's far beyond that. We go home, we do more work. It's very much a 'wake up until sleep' job especially in the first year. While we do get more holidays than the average person, alot of that time is spent lesson planning and trying to cater to 25 different learning styles and levels. The one week we actually do get off is in-lieu for all the extra time spent preparing, marking etc.

The rewards and individual impact make it so worthwhile though. I've had cards and gifts from students expressing their thanks just after 6 months. The satisfaction you get out of that.. you can't put a price on it. I have built a strong rapport with my students... the relationships are very important and meaningful.

Any other q's, feel free to send me a PM. Happy to answer anything (even if its later on next year or something..) :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:59:11 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »
+1
First year is tough - the adjustment is tough. While teaching is perceived as the '8-to-3' day and that's it.. it's far beyond that. We go home, we do more work. It's very much a 'wake up until sleep' job especially in the first year. While we do get more holidays than the average person, alot of that time is spent lesson planning and trying to cater to 25 different learning styles and levels. The one week we actually do get off is in-lieu for all the extra time spent preparing, marking etc.

The rewards and individual impact make it so worthwhile though. I've had cards and gifts from students expressing their thanks just after 6 months. The satisfaction you get out of that.. you can't put a price on it. I have built a strong rapport with my students... the relationships are very important and meaningful.

Any other q's, feel free to send me a PM. Happy to answer anything (even if its later on next year or something..) :)

Ahh yes I'm so aware of that - would definitely be no such thing as a holiday!

That's beautiful though, I'm glad students have shown their appreciation - I know that most tend not too and it really sucks!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 07:11:57 pm »
+2
What type of teaching are you looking at doing? (I'm studying music education next year)
Looking forward to your future entries!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

courtney2502

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:29:14 pm »
+4
What type of teaching are you looking at doing? (I'm studying music education next year)
Looking forward to your future entries!  ;D

Ooh music education would be so fun and interesting!! I want to be a secondary school teacher - preferably teaching English and Psychology but I would also love to teach History! Thank you so much that's so sweet!