Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 17, 2019, 08:38:38 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 91024 times)  Share 

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1065 on: June 19, 2019, 09:49:22 pm »
For me, I have different experiences distinct from any of you. I'm from China 8 months ago, from endless exam-preparation-study, which give me an advantage. The thing that I feel bad about is English 9(I even need Grammarly o to help me for spelling and grammar while I write this forum), I never got good grades in English, but I usually did well on mathematics and science. Fortunately, Unlike the selective entrance test that contains verbal reasoning and reading comprehension (likely to fail because of limited vocabulary), the JMSS test have scientific reasoning and scientific writing, which is a huge advantage for me, and I will not "vanquish without a fight" and I've been to co-curricular that specialized for this type (EduTest). For years, I have been looking for a science/math-focused school.
 I think I might pass the JMSS test and hopefully, we can sit down and do some science there. If I really succeed, I think I will break a record in VIC for these people from non English-speaking countries.
But u still have to write in English for the essay. I hope you do very good on it though!

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • trying out for jmss halp
« Reply #1066 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:46 pm »
sure pm me

in ur school are people studying a lot for jmss or are they like,u know, chill about  it???? cos my school is serious about the test.

at my school weíre pretty big and around 5 people could get in (3% rule) but itís literally just me and one other dude though weíve been studying a lot from my perspective i wouldnít say completely serious 24/7 kinda stuff though

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1067 on: June 19, 2019, 11:12:43 pm »
oh by the way does anyone want a link to the 2020 prospectus i found a leaked one online dont know if its real or not tho

Yupppp,,, pls pm it :))
don't procrastinate

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
« Reply #1068 on: June 19, 2019, 11:14:51 pm »
Hey guys,
The test is so close and I feel so unprepared. I'm like average at everything but I studied so hard since January but just suck, especially writing and numerical reasoning. I feel like I'm not gonna even finish the essays on time. Is the numerical reasoning really hard? Is it harder than the year 9 selective entrance?
Will there be like bearing questions or like advanced quadratics for maths?

Thanks, smh, i'm gonna fail this shit but I wanna get in so bad.

SynX

• Forum Regular
  • To excelsior, To beyond
« Reply #1069 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:07 am »
Hey guys,
The test is so close and I feel so unprepared. I'm like average at everything but I studied so hard since January but just suck, especially writing and numerical reasoning. I feel like I'm not gonna even finish the essays on time. Is the numerical reasoning really hard? Is it harder than the year 9 selective entrance?
Will there be like bearing questions or like advanced quadratics for maths
Me too lol, donít stress and do your best. Itís not necessarily so hard. Just watch the time and finish everything on time. Actually I have just started revision( Test preparation) this week. If you have sufficient knowledge, a few days of exam preparation is sufficient ( 1 or 2 days per subject), do some practice and correct the stuff you did wrong. And , have a few days of good time, donít drain your brain. This is what I think, plus, be confident. We might meet there and discuss science there next year.
You usually have to skip a few questions in a numeral Test. I donít know what is in math, but from the experience of selective entrance, the hardest is just some quadratic algebra, and some trigonometry, basically year 10 stuff, and I donít think there will be calculus involved. Harder math is actually an advantage for me. And anyone actually have some tips for the writing? Iím concerned about it, shall I apply my knowledge into it?

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1070 on: June 20, 2019, 10:14:54 am »
at my school weíre pretty  big and around 5 people could get in (3% rule) but itís literally just me and one other dude though weíve been studying a lot from my perspective i wouldnít say completely serious 24/7 kinda stuff though
Iím currently in WSC, where most people are satisfied with the current school, people that dissatisfied mostly choose the Suzanne Cory (3 people in class), but Iím the only one in this class that seriously prepares for JMSS( we literally need to travel 50 km to there), no more than 10 in the whole year level, and I have math and science knowledge better than most people in my class, plus I had 8 months of co-curriculum class aimed for this type of test. But since my competitors come from all over VIC, Iím still nervous about it. 8)

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
« Reply #1071 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
Me too lol, donít stress and do your best. Itís not necessarily so hard. Just watch the time and finish everything on time. Actually I have just started revision( Test preparation) this week. If you have sufficient knowledge, a few days of exam preparation is sufficient ( 1 or 2 days per subject), do some practice and correct the stuff you did wrong. And , have a few days of good time, donít drain your brain. This is what I think, plus, be confident. We might meet there and discuss science there next year.
You usually have to skip a few questions in a numeral Test. I donít know what is in math, but from the experience of selective entrance, the hardest is just some quadratic algebra, and some trigonometry, basically year 10 stuff, and I donít think there will be calculus involved. Harder math is actually an advantage for me. And anyone actually have some tips for the writing? Iím concerned about it, shall I apply my knowledge into it?

Thanks you so much.
Well this is really basic but my brother said that he only did two paragraphs (in a lot of detail) for his essay and didn't even write a conclusion but somehow gained entry. So like the content and expression is way more important than quantity, i guess. Sorry man, i'm really no help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:27:24 am by I don\'t know »

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1072 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:48 am »
Does your current school affect your chances of getting in? ( like if ur school is bad, do you have more chances? )
don't procrastinate

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1073 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18:19 am »
Thanks you so much.
Well this is really basic but my brother said that he only did two paragraphs (in a lot of detail) for his essay and didn't even write a conclusion but somehow gained entry. So like the content and expression is way more important than quantity, i guess. Sorry man, i'm really no help.
This information is very important for me, thanks  ;)

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
« Reply #1074 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:15 pm »
Does your current school affect your chances of getting in? ( like if ur school is bad, do you have more chances? )
Yeh it does. If you go to a shit school where there is hardly anyone trying out, then you have a big chance of getting in. (Only 3% of any school is able to get in, I think) More than 15 people are trying out from my school and I also have two campuses, which possibly means theres more than 30 people trying out across the two campuses, which significantly decreases my chances of ever getting in. Smh, I hate my school
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:30:02 pm by I don\'t know »

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1075 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »
JMSS student here.

Do the best you can on the day and whatever happens, happens. If you want to pursue a STEM career, you can obviously still pursue it without going into a science school, so don't feel disheartened if you don't get in. You're not "dumb/stupid/retarded/etc.". The entrance exam is just an indication of your abilities in different topics at the time you take it. You could do crap now, but improve at lot by the end of high school. You could do well now, but struggle to keep up with VCE later on. Point is, doesn't matter where you go for high school, the end result of going to uni and having a career that you like is what matters.

So yeah, not sure how effective that "pep talk" was. But remember that I used to be in your shoes and I'm just speaking from hindsight. Good luck, have fun and take care of yourselves. 
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1076 on: June 20, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »
Yeh it does. If you go to a shit school where there is hardly anyone trying out, then you have a big chance of getting in. (Only 3% of any school is able to get in, I think) More than 15 people are trying out from my school and I also have two campuses, which possibly means theres more than 30 people trying out across the two campuses, which significantly decreases my chances of ever getting in. Smh, I hate my school
Not necessarily, though, my school is not trash, itís a great non-selective government school. But it is so far away from JMSS meaning a few people wanted to apply for it.

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1077 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
JMSS student here.

Do the best you can on the day and whatever happens, happens. If you want to pursue a STEM career, you can obviously still pursue it without going into a science school, so don't feel disheartened if you don't get in. You're not "dumb/stupid/retarded/etc.". The entrance exam is just an indication of your abilities in different topics at the time you take it. You could do crap now, but improve at lot by the end of high school. You could do well now, but struggle to keep up with VCE later on. Point is, doesn't matter where you go for high school, the end result of going to uni and having a career that you like is what matters.
Hello Shades, Iím choosing JMSS because of this is the first school I knew to have specialized curriculum for science and math. I learn knowledge from Khan Academy as well, and apply the knowledge into daily life in my free time. Iím unable to discuss scientific stuff with other students in my class, due to their lack of passion in science.
Thanks for sending the GAT 2013 stuff, I was really stressed when I saw it, 36 pages in 3 hours, is that the thing Iím really going to face during the test? And now I only have a day and half to practice those. Like the person on the information night said: hard, but not impossible. Since the laws of physics are universal, I believe what I learned will be somehow useful.

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • trying out for jmss halp
« Reply #1078 on: June 20, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »
hey i know this is kinda off topic but to relieve the tension a bit whatís everyoneís science/ what science do you want to pursue? i personally like a lot of astrophysics and astronomy

fibssggloss

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1079 on: June 20, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
hey i know this is kinda off topic but to relieve the tension a bit whatís everyoneís science/ what science do you want to pursue? i personally like a lot of astrophysics and astronomy

I personally like chemistry and bio but I want to persue CHEMISTRY,, as I wanna be a chemical engineer (buttt I still don't know, I have more options but that's my top priority atm)
don't procrastinate