Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 20, 2019, 11:35:23 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 91828 times)  Share 

^^^111^^^

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1050 on: June 18, 2019, 09:02:09 pm »
Does anyone remember any questions from last year for maths and numerical

Also how tough was the numerical? I mean were the worded problems really long or just short?

Thx

SynX

• Forum Regular
  • To excelsior, To beyond
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1051 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:15 pm »
I was volunteered working hard for those years because of my interest in mathematics and science. At here I learn things via Khan Academy, Brilliance.org and stuff.  Before this test, I was been doing lots of co-curricular mock tests (similar to EduTest), and online practice tests. Math is not a problem here for me, I'm capable of doing a large fraction of Y11 maths. A good thing for me is in this test we don't have verbal reasoning and reading comprehension, which I struggle through the Suzanne Cory test. Instead, we have science reasoning and scientific essays. I've been writing some scientific essays before, but I never did scientific reasoning before.  I heard that JMSS provides no additional information for the test to make it fair. So, are these online practice tests reliable? Any suggestions for revision?(I don't really know how to revise)
Troublesome getting to JMSS

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1052 on: June 18, 2019, 09:18:43 pm »
For those reading in the future, Iíll tell you what I did for prep. For the first 6 months of the year of prep, I aimed to learn the entire year 10/9 science and math content, taking it easy and slow. I was not working on speed at this point, instead I was working on knowledge. For the next 6 months, I redid the textbooks, at a faster pace, to retain the information and also did practice tests. I did many practice tests from EduKingdom and JAC but also did some online. Each day I aimed to do at least 5 hours, which now I think about it, is crazy, but I was so wrapped up in determination I didnít care.
u
It's completely unnecessary to work this hard. Math and Science is the process of enjoying thinking. For these subjects, understanding is more important than memorizing. By the time we are able to synthesize the beauty of equations, we become the masters of mathematics. I'm working towards this goal.

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1053 on: June 18, 2019, 09:36:12 pm »

Also how tough was numerical? I mean were the worded problems really long or just short?
numerical is not really hard, you can do practice on https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx# , but be careful about time, do it ASAP and never spend too much time on each. you need some logic to do.

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #1054 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:27 pm »
Alright, wish me luck (test is in a few days). So far Iíve gone through 6 completions of the year 9 and 10 science textbooks, did the entire year 10 math textbook twice and have done a lot and a lot of practice tests. So much has happened over the past year and I find it quite unbelievable that I have studied so much. I wouldnít of even moved a muscle if it werenít for AN ppl though, so thank you. Thanks for the motivation, thanks for the tips and basically thanks for everything.  :D

For those reading in the future, Iíll tell you what I did for prep. For the first 6 months of the year of prep, I aimed to learn the entire year 10/9 science and math content, taking it easy and slow. I was not working on speed at this point, instead I was working on knowledge. For the next 6 months I redid the textbooks, at a faster pace, to retain the information and also did practice tests. I did many practice tests from EduKingdom and JAC but also did some online. Each day I aimed to do at least 5 hours, which now I think about it, is crazy, but I was so wrapped up in determination I didnít care.

Anyways, it getting late. Iíll tell you guys if I made it or not in a few months time.

Thanks you,

I know so many people that have been practicing this hard, are they just doing unnecessary work or did I not do enough?

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1055 on: June 19, 2019, 07:54:46 pm »
+2
don't worry, 400 out of 940 people will past the test, the most intense part is the interview. Do you even see 100 people here? we are the people that truly care about JMSS, many people around me, in my school or co-curricular that registered for JMSS doesn't even revise much or care much about it. I believe most of us will pass here, due to the fact that many of our competitors are going to selective entries.  If you had sufficient scientific knowledge, where a science person usually learns stuff in free time, don't worry, go for it. You might need to revise math, do some numeracy and scientific writing practice ( what I'm currently doing today), what people say are not 100% true, don't stress, studying on exams for 5 or more hours, which is similar to the 14 hours of studying per day in China, is pretty unnecessary.

yvngblxd

• Adventurer
  • currently in yr 9
« Reply #1056 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:49 pm »
+1
I know so many people that have been practicing this hard, are they just doing unnecessary work or did I not do enough?

i havent really studied either so dw were in this together :'(

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #1057 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:38 pm »
don't worry, 400 out of 940 people will past the test, the most intense part is the interview. Do you even see 100 people here? we are the people that truly care about JMSS, many people around me, in my school or co-curricular that registered for JMSS doesn't even revise much or care much about it. I believe most of us will pass here, due to the fact that many of our competitors are going to selective entries.  If you had sufficient scientific knowledge, where a science person usually learns stuff in free time, don't worry, go for it. You might need to revise math, do some numeracy and scientific writing practice ( what I'm currently doing today), what people say are not 100% true, don't stress, studying on exams for 5 or more hours, which is similar to the 14 hours of studying per day in China, is pretty unnecessary.

Thank u so much, i wish u the best and hope you make it in

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #1058 on: June 19, 2019, 08:45:01 pm »
i havent really studied either so dw were in this together :'(
I'm sure you will get in, all the best

SynX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1059 on: June 19, 2019, 08:50:21 pm »
+1
Thank u so much, I wish u the best and hope you make it in
For me, I have different experiences distinct from any of you. I'm from China 8 months ago, from endless exam-preparation-study, which give me an advantage. The thing that I feel bad about is English 9(I even need Grammarly o to help me for spelling and grammar while I write this forum), I never got good grades in English, but I usually did well on mathematics and science. Fortunately, Unlike the selective entrance test that contains verbal reasoning and reading comprehension (likely to fail because of limited vocabulary), the JMSS test have scientific reasoning and scientific writing, which is a huge advantage for me, and I will not "vanquish without a fight" and I've been to co-curricular that specialized for this type (EduTest). For years, I have been looking for a science/math-focused school.
 I think I might pass the JMSS test and hopefully, we can sit down and do some science there. If I really succeed, I think I will break a record in VIC for these people from non English-speaking countries.

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • trying out for jmss halp
« Reply #1060 on: June 19, 2019, 08:56:36 pm »
damm you seem really talented; if you get in are you gonna sign up for Methods? Maybe we could even be in the same class  ;D

^^^111^^^

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1061 on: June 19, 2019, 09:01:00 pm »
The thing that I feel bad about is English 9(I even need Grammarly o to help me for spelling and grammar while I write this forum), I never got good grades in English, but I usually did well on mathematics and science.
 I think I might pass the JMSS test and hopefully, we can sit down and do some science there. If I really succeed, I think I will break a record in VIC for these people from non English-speaking countries.
how high are you getting for ur tests?

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • trying out for jmss halp
« Reply #1062 on: June 19, 2019, 09:17:49 pm »
oh by the way does anyone want a link to the 2020 prospectus i found a leaked one online dont know if its real or not tho

^^^111^^^

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1063 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36:47 pm »
oh by the way does anyone want a link to the 2020 prospectus i found a leaked one online dont know if its real or not tho
sure pm me

in ur school are people studying a lot for jmss or are they like,u know, chill about  it???? cos my school is serious about the test.

bambiiiii

• Adventurer
« Reply #1064 on: June 19, 2019, 09:47:25 pm »
hahah yes please, that'd be very nice.