Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:53 am

Author Topic: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC  (Read 51686 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:27:07 pm »
+9
Hello there.

So this whole forum thing is quite new to me (you could probably tell that I'm new to the site). To be honest, I've always been reluctant to join HSC forums because I've seen forums where people respond sarcastically or are just plain rude. I mean, come on guys we're all on the same boat! But after attending two HSC Head Start Lectures- physics with Jake and modern history with Susie (omg you guys are amazing), I decided to try and have a go at this forum.

So hey! I'm Olivia and I'm very awkward ._. Here are a few things about me:
- I am an awkward turtle who is crippling with stress and paranoia, hence my dark humour
- I love reading Classic Literature (Mr Darcy and Mr Thornton FTW!)
- For some reason, I enjoy watching documentaries, especially history documentaries
- I watch a lot of video game walkthroughs/game plays. Ironically, I have an X-box downstairs but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and physically play video games. Plus, I'm too broke to constantly buy new games ;-;
- I like looking up unrelated HSC maths and physics stuff like reading about Fermat's Last Theorem, Poincarč Conjecture and have read two of Stephen Hawking's books
- My favourite TV shows include Game of Thrones, Rick and Morty and Victoria
- I also like making study notes, even though they're not the most effective way to study. I usually spend my holidays making notes about any upcoming topics to familiarise myself with the content and hopefully solidify my understanding in class and at tutoring

The subjects I'm currently taking are:
- Mathematics
- Extension Math
- Advanced English
- Modern History
- Physics
- Studies of Religion 1
- Society & Culture (though once Extension History is confirmed, I will be dropping SAC)

I love maths and physics (but they never reciprocate my feelings RIP) and modern. Although I had to take SOR because I go to a catholic school, I don't mind the subject since it's kinda like modern and balances out my math-based subjects and my content-based subjects.

Well this post is longer than anticipated. Since today is my last day of holidays, I'm not sure how often I will post. I'm hoping that I can interact more with everyone in the ATAR Notes community (from the small number of replies to my posts, you guys seem like a nice, welcoming community :))

Anyways, I'll see you then :-)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:42:16 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums! How awesome that you get to spend your entire HSC journey on here! Too bad you are dropping SAC, that was one of my faves! But can completely understand how daunting the PIP is and juggling it with your Ext History major work probably would be a little too stressful! Good luck for your first day tomorrow :)

What ATAR are you aiming for and what do you want to do after yr 12?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:02:35 pm »
+2
Welcome to the forums! How awesome that you get to spend your entire HSC journey on here! Too bad you are dropping SAC, that was one of my faves! But can completely understand how daunting the PIP is and juggling it with your Ext History major work probably would be a little too stressful! Good luck for your first day tomorrow :)

What ATAR are you aiming for and what do you want to do after yr 12?
Hello there! Ahh yes, SAC wasn't actually a subject that I desperately wanted to get into since it was on my 'back up subjects' but my Curriculum Coordinator stuffed up my time table and I decided to pick up SAC- Fortunately, I grew to like SAC.

As for your question, I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR, preferably a 92 since I'd like to do Engineering (Hons)/Science at UNSW. As you can tell, I'm a huge science nerd (no shame lol) since I'm an aspiring aerospace engineer/physicist :-)

Thanks for your message!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:08:55 pm »
+2
Ooh welcome to the forums, another fellow prelimmer woo! Hahah it's great to have you on board here, I'm looking forward to reading your future updates :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 04:15:05 pm »
Ooh welcome to the forums, another fellow prelimmer woo! Hahah it's great to have you on board here, I'm looking forward to reading your future updates :)
Woo prelimmers unite! Good luck for your first day of year 12 :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 04:15:44 pm »
Hello there! Ahh yes, SAC wasn't actually a subject that I desperately wanted to get into since it was on my 'back up subjects' but my Curriculum Coordinator stuffed up my time table and I decided to pick up SAC- Fortunately, I grew to like SAC.

As for your question, I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR, preferably a 92 since I'd like to do Engineering (Hons)/Science at UNSW. As you can tell, I'm a huge science nerd (no shame lol) since I'm an aspiring aerospace engineer/physicist :-)

Thanks for your message!

Wow!!! That is awesome!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:21:46 pm »
+2
Damn you sound like one cool kid, I look forward to reading your journal! Even though you've only made one entry, it made me feel as if I could go on the whole year 12 journey again. Then again that could also be me not wanting to do the HSC... Hope you've had a good break and are ready to smash year 12 despite what that bitch NESA throws at you :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 04:27:32 pm »
+2
hiiiiii!!!

welcome to the journal squad! what topics are you doing for modern and extension (i used to do it, then dropped). do you have an idea of what you're going to do for your major work? in response to a few of your facts:
- yessssssssss mr darcy
- victoria? like itv victoria? love that show, although it's been pretty historically inaccurate lately. have you watched the crown on netflix? daaaamn that's a good show.

i hope AN becomes a really great place for you throughout year 12! keep the questions coming in (especially in modern hahaha) :-)
Spoiler
really random question but are you indonesian? your surname gives me that vibe hahahahah

best of luck for year 12,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
+5
Damn you sound like one cool kid, I look forward to reading your journal! Even though you've only made one entry, it made me feel as if I could go on the whole year 12 journey again. Then again that could also be me not wanting to do the HSC... Hope you've had a good break and are ready to smash year 12 despite what that bitch NESA throws at you :)
Ahaha I'm not sure about cool but thanks xD And good luck to you too for your HSC!

hiiiiii!!!

welcome to the journal squad! what topics are you doing for modern and extension (i used to do it, then dropped). do you have an idea of what you're going to do for your major work? in response to a few of your facts:
- yessssssssss mr darcy
- victoria? like itv victoria? love that show, although it's been pretty historically inaccurate lately. have you watched the crown on netflix? daaaamn that's a good show.

i hope AN becomes a really great place for you throughout year 12! keep the questions coming in (especially in modern hahaha) :-)
Spoiler
really random question but are you indonesian? your surname gives me that vibe hahahahah

best of luck for year 12,
fantasticbeasts

Omg hello again! I have been brainstorming ideas for my Major Work but I'm still a bit unfamiliar with Extension History so I'll see what the subject is like and modify if I need to. And in response to your response to my facts (is this response-ception *mind blown*):
- Ahaha Mr Darcy will always be a favourite sajkhdaf
- Yes, Victoria the TV show with Jenna Coleman and Tom Hughes. Probably not the best historical drama but I love Prince Albert too much. I have seen the first episode of The Crown but I haven't been watching it. I really need to catch up!

Btw, thank you so much for constantly replying to my modern history questions lol xD
Spoiler
And yes, I'm actually half-Indonesian, half-Chinese. Excellent guess! How did you know? A lot of people can never guess my nationality!

Mod edit: Merged posts, use the "Modify" button on the top right :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:05:17 pm by Jess1113 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 04:48:11 pm »
+2
Omg hello again! I have been brainstorming ideas for my Major Work but I'm still a bit unfamiliar with Extension History so I'll see what the subject is like and modify if I need to. And in response to your response to my facts (is this response-ception *mind blown*):
- Ahaha Mr Darcy will always be a favourite sajkhdaf
- Yes, Victoria the TV show with Jenna Coleman and Tom Hughes. Probably not the best historical drama but I love Prince Albert too much. I have seen the first episode of The Crown but I haven't been watching it. I really need to catch up!

Btw, thank you so much for constantly replying to my modern history questions lol xD
Spoiler
And yes, I'm actually half-Indonesian, half-Chinese. Excellent guess! How did you know? A lot of people can never guess my nationality!

hahahah hey!

good on you for starting early - that was my biggest downfall this year. had i started earlier, i probably wouldn't have dropped. the history extension course has two main units: what is history, and your case study. what is history is all about the interpretation and writing of history (sounds crap, but is soooo interesting) and the case study is from the syllabus. the case study is about someone, or something, and there are key debates within those which you'll learn about. there's also the interpretations in the debates on the person/event's significance. the exam is on those two topics - you have two hours, one hour for each essay on those topics. history extension is all about interpretations, rather than what actually happened, so when choosing your major work topic, make sure it's interesting and that there are a ton of different perspectives!

oh my gosh yeeeeeeeessssssss. tom hughes as albert = amazing. he's so beautiful. and yea, not the best historical drama... there are a ton of better ones out there. pleaseee keep on watching the crown!! a lot more accurate than victoria. another good show is outlander, which is comparable to game of thrones. although it's fiction, much of it is based on real people and real events. acting is ace in that one.

no worries! i love modern, and am very happy to answer your questions :-) if you thought modern was great this year, it gets even better.

Spoiler
OH MY GOODNESS. NO WAY. SAME. i know a ton of indonesian people (indonesian church and a few from school hahah) so i guess that's where the indonesian surname vibe came from.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 04:57:04 pm »
hahahah hey!

good on you for starting early - that was my biggest downfall this year. had i started earlier, i probably wouldn't have dropped. the history extension course has two main units: what is history, and your case study. what is history is all about the interpretation and writing of history (sounds crap, but is soooo interesting) and the case study is from the syllabus. the case study is about someone, or something, and there are key debates within those which you'll learn about. there's also the interpretations in the debates on the person/event's significance. the exam is on those two topics - you have two hours, one hour for each essay on those topics. history extension is all about interpretations, rather than what actually happened, so when choosing your major work topic, make sure it's interesting and that there are a ton of different perspectives!

oh my gosh yeeeeeeeessssssss. tom hughes as albert = amazing. he's so beautiful. and yea, not the best historical drama... there are a ton of better ones out there. pleaseee keep on watching the crown!! a lot more accurate than victoria. another good show is outlander, which is comparable to game of thrones. although it's fiction, much of it is based on real people and real events. acting is ace in that one.

no worries! i love modern, and am very happy to answer your questions :-) if you thought modern was great this year, it gets even better.

Spoiler
OH MY GOODNESS. NO WAY. SAME. i know a ton of indonesian people (indonesian church and a few from school hahah) so i guess that's where the indonesian surname vibe came from.
Extension History sounds very interesting, hence why I'm excited for this subject!
Spoiler
OMG YAAAASSSS! Unfortunately for me, I don't know many Indonesian people apart from my relatives. Plus, my Indonesian has withered away to me with a very Aussie accent. And don't get me started on spelling. But I can still understand it. And props to you for your very sharp Indo-radar lol.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 05:35:48 pm »
+2
Hello hello hello!!! Welcome to the AN Forums!! Woop another Prelimminer transitioning into Year 12 tomorrow!! Super cool that we will see your ENTIRE journey from start to finish ;D. Strangest coincedence ever but I was actually planning to do History Extension so that I could drop SAC. Sadly I wasn't allowed so I had to continue SAC. What do you plan on doing your history major on?? It's terrific that you are already planning your major work! That is soo good!! ;D ;D

Spoiler

Spoiler
ngl i was on the same boat as fantasticbeasts3 here hehehe. i was about to ask you but kinda knew you had indonesian blood because my friend has the same last name as you and she's indonesian :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 06:04:57 pm »
+3
Hello hello hello!!! Welcome to the AN Forums!! Woop another Prelimminer transitioning into Year 12 tomorrow!! Super cool that we will see your ENTIRE journey from start to finish ;D. Strangest coincedence ever but I was actually planning to do History Extension so that I could drop SAC. Sadly I wasn't allowed so I had to continue SAC. What do you plan on doing your history major on?? It's terrific that you are already planning your major work! That is soo good!! ;D ;D

Spoiler
ngl i was on the same boat as fantasticbeasts3 here hehehe. i was about to ask you but kinda knew you had indonesian blood because my friend has the same last name as you and she's indonesian :)
Hello beatroot! That's quite unfortunate that you couldn't do Extension History. But SAC can be interesting as well!

As for my history major, not sure if the topics I brainstormed are good (or even relate to the syllabus) but here are a couple of topics I'm considering:
- Presentation of history in video games (e.g. Assassin's Creed)
- Portrayal of the Cold War in films/TV shows
- Unsolved case of Jack the Ripper
- Hitler (not sure what, but Hitler is such an enigmatic historical figure everything about him is hotly debated)
- Winston Churchill's quote 'History is written by the victors.' (this quote is quite intriguing but I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe evaluate it? Idk)

Spoiler
Omg so many people exposing me lol xD But that's so cool your friend has the same surname as me!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »
Hello beatroot! That's quite unfortunate that you couldn't do Extension History. But SAC can be interesting as well!

As for my history major, not sure if the topics I brainstormed are good (or even relate to the syllabus) but here are a couple of topics I'm considering:
- Presentation of history in video games (e.g. Assassin's Creed)
- Portrayal of the Cold War in films/TV shows
- Unsolved case of Jack the Ripper
- Hitler (not sure what, but Hitler is such an enigmatic historical figure everything about him is hotly debated)
- Winston Churchill's quote 'History is written by the victors.' (this quote is quite intriguing but I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe evaluate it? Idk)

very interesting topics!! i quite like the 'presentation of history in video games' and churchill's quote ones. can't wait for your updates ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 06:55:48 pm »
+3
Oh my gosh hey! Another prelimmer! Or, I guess, HSCer now haha. Great to see you and I hope we can help you out and vice versa through this likely rollercoaster of a year! Also Modern yas. Do you know your modules/electives for it??

Also thinking of taking History Extension so it's cool to see other people's ideas too! The video games one + Jack the Ripper definitely piques my interest. Personally I'm gonna do Alexander Hamilton and how he was perceived through different American governments and how information available affected that, ultimately culminating in the musical.

But I'm super excited for this year with all the new year 12s and feel free to chat anytime!
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point