Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:04 pm

Author Topic: How to answer science questions  (Read 5705 times)  Share 

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
How to answer science questions
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
How important is the structure in answering science questions (preferably specific for physics)?
My teacher has been constantly drilling us into ensuring we have a concise, detailed response by planning out answers especially for extended responses. The glossary of terms e.g. assess, discuss, evaluate need to be answered differently according to which verb is used. I'm doubting the importance of structure now but it's been engrained in my answers now...
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
Re: How to answer science questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:09:41 am »
+1
How important is the structure in answering science questions (preferably specific for physics)?
My teacher has been constantly drilling us into ensuring we have a concise, detailed response by planning out answers especially for extended responses. The glossary of terms e.g. assess, discuss, evaluate need to be answered differently according to which verb is used. I'm doubting the importance of structure now but it's been engrained in my answers now...

Quite important as flow can be part of the marking criteria as well as making it easier for the marker to find stuff, hence more marks! If they go back to find some content you don't want them spending ages searching through a giant block of text which could decrease the chances you get the mark.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to answer science questions
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:28 am »
Quite important as flow can be part of the marking criteria as well as making it easier for the marker to find stuff, hence more marks! If they go back to find some content you don't want them spending ages searching through a giant block of text which could decrease the chances you get the mark.

Hmmm, yeah I get the importance in flow but I'm really doubting the true need for it as there's only 1 mark allocated in the whole Physics exam for structure in one of the longer responses. Not quite sure if you need it throughout. Of course, its better to.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice