Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 18, 2018, 08:21:19 am

Author Topic: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC  (Read 12012 times)

emilyygeorgexx

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
I have paper 2 tomorrow and I'm super worried tbh, I know that the Mod B question will be really specific and that will throw me off my game I reckon. I feel okay preparation wise, I haven't done the whole paper under timed conditions yet but I know my shit pretty well. I did a Mod A practice essay to the 2016 HSC question and it only took me 32 minutes, so hopefully that's the case for the rest of them. My writing is absolutely illegible tho lol

Omg no I think you think its going to be the worse thing ever but it actually ends up being okay. Legit thought the Mod B question was going to be so specific and so hard, yet it wasn't actually that bad!

Believe in yourself!!
HSC 2018
English Advanced || General Mathematics 2 || Business Studies || Legal Studies || Economics || Studies of Religion 1

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2018, 10:27:13 pm »

Omg no I think you think its going to be the worse thing ever but it actually ends up being okay. Legit thought the Mod B question was going to be so specific and so hard, yet it wasn't actually that bad!

Believe in yourself!!
AW THANKS GAL, I'm really praying that is the case!!! I keep hearing people say it's not that bad but in my head it seems like it'd be so much worse than paper 1 hahaha!
HSC 2018 - Advanced English | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies | Economics | Industrial Tech (Multimedia)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:50 pm »
Good luck for Paper 2!! I've still got a few days to go till paper 1. Do as Jamon would do, walk in like you own the place!!!! Then you'll smash it for sure!!

Aw thankyou!! Good luck for you with your exam aswell Xx

Mod edit: duplicate post! Things happen ahaha I deleted the other one
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:57:33 am by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2018 - Advanced English | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies | Economics | Industrial Tech (Multimedia)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
+4
Omg guys. Today has been legit the worst day ever. I had my trial for paper 2, which was horrendous. They zoomed in on the theme betrayal for Mod B, so I was pretty much fucked. Mod C was shit as well - the only decent question was Mod A ugh. I did it in order of: C, B, A. I left Mod A till last because I intended it to be my shortest essay considering the question was quite broad. However, although I had written essays during my studies in 32-38 minutes, I did not manage my time very well during the actual exam because I kept overquoting ugh. I always follow the rule that I have to make my argument in 5 quotes, otherwise I move onto the next paragraph but I got so stressed that I completely neglected this principle, ending up with up to 8 ish quotes in some of my paragraphs. So I spent 45 mins on Mod C because I was overestimated my ability to write the other 2, and kept finding comfort in the fact that I had done the other two in under 40 mins during my practices so that it wouldn't matter if I exceeded 40 a tad. Not a good idea. When I had 30 minutes left on the clock, I hadn't even started my last paragraph for my second essay (mod B) and so I moved onto Mod A without doing it. I was so anxious the whole time because I knew in the back of my mind that I still had to go back to Mod B, but I figured it was better to do some of Mod A and some of Mod B than have all of Mod B and nothing for Mod A, you know? I ended up writing Mod A in about 27 minutes, but it was actually atrocious. My last paragraph especially - I had to cull my good quotes for the basic "2+2=5" because I knew it would take the least amount of time to write out lmao. It was just not good, and my essay would've been much better had I not been under the pressure to having to write out another Mod B para. My last mod A para had legit no substance - there was probably less than 3 quotes/techniques in there tbh, I wrote it in about 5 mins hahaha. Although I was able to have 5 mins left to return to Mod B and finish it, but my links to the question were just horrible tbh. I don't even think I was being rational, I was just scribbling whatever came to mind. Like omg, I've never bombed an English exam so hard, and I fucking studied my ass off for this. It just mainly annoys me that I was totally capable to writing out my essays in 35 mins at home, but this was not the case in the real thing. I have a feeling it's because I went to visit my English teacher today to ask her a question about Mod B, and at the end she was like "and work on your handwriting btw". I was confused at first because literally a week ago I inquired about the legibility of my writing and she told me that it wasn't that bad, but she said that she "looked at my paper one and was like wtf!" HAHAHA. This was kinda strange because I did not at all think my writing was bad for paper 1 - it was messy but I definitely tried to make it look good while I was writing. She told me not to worry about this for the trial because her eyes are tuned to read my writing, but that it was something we'd need to work on before the HSC. But nonetheless, I think having her say that subconsciously made a writer a lil neater (although it really wasn't at ALL), because I kept crossing my words out to rewrite them a bit more legibly. And this is by and large significantly worse than my writing for paper 1, so I'm really hoping it won't affect my mark or something like that - she said it wouldn't but it's literally so horrible that I wouldn't be surprised if it did lol.

Anyways, that whole paper 2 experience just made me want to cry. I'd be surprised if I got above 16 for Mods B and A - they were just utterly atrocious. That was not the worst thing though. I went to chill with a few friends after school, so I got home at around 6pm - when I realised that my laptop wasn't in my fucking bag. Again. My friend drove to school to check, but she didn't see it which is freaking me out. I'm pretty sure I left it outside a block near the English staffroom, so I'm really fucking hoping a teacher took it in. I have my major work backed up, so that's a relief - what's funny is that I literally anticipated this would happen a few days ago which made me copy it onto a USB and contemplated doing the same for my notes but I trivialised my thoughts. Of course it had to fucking happen. I can't even do anything about it until Monday, and my economics trial is on Tuesday. And I have no idea if the school has it or not, or if someone took it and I've lost my notes and essays forever. Ughhh. This anxiety is killing me. The fact that it's not my first time losing it, makes me think that I won't be so lucky this time. Fuck my life. I was already fucked for economics and now this has just made it worse ughhh. I legit hate my life.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:19:21 pm by Lumenoria »

Fergus6748

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »
Hey, that's a pretty crappy position to be in, not gonna lie. The only  thing you can do is take a break and do something that you enjoy and get back into it. In the the long run, trials are just that, TRIALS, it's a time to experiment with your exam approaches. There will plenty of opportunity to swing back around in the HSC!! I wish you luck in the rest of your exams which I'm sure you will smash!!

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:25 pm »
+1
Omg I have my trial for economics tomorrow and I'm freaking out ah. I've done a lot of study, but I'm worried because I haven't written an actual essay in the last 2 weeks. I've constructed heaps of essay plans and trend analysis stuff though, so I'm hoping it'll be good enough. There are a  few aspects of the syllabus that I didn't get around to, such as environmental sustainability and the international organisations. I'm kinda finding comfort in the fact that you're able to choose out of 2, but what the fuck am I supposed to do if those two ARE the only choices?? OMG I will literally scream if that comes to fruition hahaha. I really need to maintain my rank so I'm legit fucked if that occurs. I also don't want it to be on financial flows or protection because my essay would legit have no substance. Ugh. Also I found my laptop today!! My English teacher had it bless her soul gahaa

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:08 am »
+2
Had my economics exam yesterday, and it was honestly was not great. The multiple choice was fucking hard - it took me about 30 mins to get through, when usually I can get through them in 10 mins max. I swear some of the questions had options that were ALL wrong. Anyways, short answers were a bit obscure - I have a feeling I circumvented the question a tad at times, but overall I'm hoping to get over 36/40 for this section because it seems like a pretty reasonable goal. I overwrote way too much on some of them out of paranoia that my answer on the existing lines were inadequate to get to full mark, but better safe than sorry I guess. Omg the essay questions were honestly not that bad. I'm kinda salty there was nothing on income distribution or anything because I studied my ass off for this topic!! Like fuck, I had a full trend analysis and everything. AND THERE WASN'T ANYTHING ON MONETARY WHICH I ALSO STUDIED A LOT FOR. I tried to weave these through in my responses anyway to enhance my stance on the actual question and I think it was pretty well done. I did a question on recent fiscal policy on full employment and growth for the stimulus section, which was honestly fine but after hours of post exam contemplation, I have this gut feeling that my response did not address the question as well as it should've. Like ugh you know that feeling when you leave an exam and come to realise a point that you didn't make, but would've been so fucking good if you did? Literally me. I don't even remember if I made it or not since my memory of the exam itself isn't crystal clear, but I hope sooo. I also panicked a bit because I didn't really have a plan, so I wrote 12 pages and exceeded my time limit of one hour - I had 2 hours remaining for the 2 essays. I ended up having just 40 minutes for the other essay - which was horrible. It was a choice between financial flows and exchange rates, so I was basically backed into a corner because financial flows ain't my type of shit lol. At first I didn't mind exchange rates - I was actually celebrating in the reading time mentally upon seeing it - but omg it was harder than I thought. I had assumed that all my stats and trends would be in my mind after doing a practice essay, but I suppose it left my mind as I did it 2 weeks ago. I wrote about 7 pages for this, and I feel so sorry for my teacher because this is honestly the cringiest thing I've ever written. I lost all my structural balance as well because I got crazy anxiety in the process of writing in the realisation that I did not know as much as I had thought, so I felt like I was rambling and inserting a paragraph every now and then to ensure it wasn't one big blob. I don't think the content itself was horrible, but considering how much I had looked at the topic 2 weeks ago, I could've done better had I not assumed that I would retain all the stats after all that time. I even fucking forgot to include any graphs in both of the essays, except for one Phillips curve lol. Anyways, I'm worried because it would be nice to top the class, but rank 2 is only 1/2 a mark behind me atm so it's very close and I'm sure she would've done better than me. Ugh.

I've finished my all my trial exams now, finally. I seriously need to refine my major work because it's due tomorrow and I haven't looked at it since a month prior to trials when I finished. My teacher is lazy and never gives feedback so I have literally no idea if it's band 6 capable. I reckon my video is, but my portfolio seems to be a bit all over the place and less structured than I would've liked, so I'm not sure if that is also band 6 worthy. I have spent insurmountable efforts on it, so I'm really fucking hoping so. I gave myself the day off after economics and it seriously felt weird to "rejuvenate", to have nothing to do besides watching YouTube and the like. It honestly just made me feel shitty so I'm forcing myself to get back on the grind today. I need to make study notes for the entire Multimedia course - I haven't really done anything for the HSC written exam since I've been so focused on the major - but I really do need to do it. I basically have to as well because, although I am ranked first, everyone else in the class is significantly behind me so I want to take my own mark, which I'm hoping will be in the mid 90s after studying. In my half yearlies, we had a written exam and I got 90 studying the night before, so I guess that's a good sign but I'm not going to let myself slip for the HSC like that. I keep neglecting multimedia because I know I'm way ahead of everyone, but I really do need to be somewhat accountable for studying soon.

Hope everyone is having a good experience with trials. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:36:32 am by Lumenoria »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:49 am »
+1
At some point today, I have to go into the school to hand in my major work. I'm kinda salty at Officeworks because I paid $60 to bind my portfolio and print it in A3, but they fucking did it backwards. Like when they gave it back to me, I had a feeling it was wrong because the clear cover (which is supposed to be covering the title page) WAS covering my fucking evaluation!! And the black page - which is supposed to indicate the end of the folio - is at the front! UGH. I saw one of my friends there who was also getting his folio bound and addressed the concern with him, but he said it wouldn't matter than much lol. Plus I didn't want to be a pest of a customer, so I left. I got even more annoyed when I went home because I found so many typos in my work. Legit. I proofread it 30 times (I kid you not) and exported it a gazillion times because I kept stumbling upon mistakes, yet I was still unable to address ALL of them. I was a bit lazy tho admittedly - I really wasn't bothered to actually read through 56,000 words but ugh it's mildly infuriating to see that.