FREE lectures this July. Places booking out fast. HSC: book here. VCE: book here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 26, 2019, 11:54:42 am

Author Topic: I want to do more acts of kindness  (Read 4517 times)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +49
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: I want to do more acts of kindness
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
+3
I started thanking the bus driver when I'm at my destination a few weeks ago, and have continued doing so.

OMG! Me too! It's always a good start to the morning when they thank-you as well :D

AngelWings

• MOTM: NOV 17
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +681
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2018, 09:36:12 pm »
+10
Here's a story for you this Halloween that's not really spooky. 

Story Time with Angel Wings
So I was going to go shopping today at a mall. I decided to catch PT today, so I was waiting at a bus stop. Minutes before the bus was due to come, this middle aged lady who's hurriedly limping towards me sees me and shouts: "Is this where the stop for the [insert number] bus to [insert place] is?" She pants a little, as I tell her, "No, it's down the street about a kilometre or so away."

She mentions exactly what I'm thinking, "Ah, I can't walk that far. Unless you think I can get there by this time?" She shows me a time written on a notepad. The time is in about 10 minutes. It takes me 10 minutes to walk down, but with her limp, it'll take her a lot longer. I tell her, "No, but I think you could probably take this bus across the street. Let me check." A little selfishly here, I didn't want to move as I knew my bus was meant to come in 30 seconds by this point.

As soon as I pull out my phone to check, that bus passes us. The lady tells me she has to be at a certain place in less than 1.5 hours. The next bus on the same route as the bus that just passed us is in approximately 40 minutes and it doesn't arrive anywhere near where she wants to go. I decide to check the next best route, as my bus arrives. Unfortunately, with her leg, it'll still get her about 5-10 minutes late for her important event. I apologise for this, saying it's the best route and I'd rather not lead her astray. She understands.

We both get on and I tell her the instructions to her destination from the mall (my destination). She writes down the instructions in her notepad and I repeat them several times to ensure she has the instructions down right.

An elderly passenger gets on the bus and sits opposite us. The lady I'm helping starts a bit of a conversation with me - just small talk, as we approach my destination. I tell the middle-aged lady I'll help her get to the right stop, as there's numerous bus stops where we were going and it's pretty confusing to newcomers. Everyone got off the bus and the elderly lady grabs my wrist. For a second, I stand there in shock. I don't know what this elderly lady's trying to do, but she starting rubbing my wrist almost as if trying to comfort me and says thanks on behalf of the middle-aged lady for my act of kindness. I breathe a sigh of relief and try to awkwardly stay humble, as anyone does after receiving a compliment. The elderly lady lets go of my wrist and goes on her merry way.

I immediately send that middle-aged lady to the right stop; the bus she needs to take is in a couple of minutes. I tell the bus driver to take the lady to the stop described in the instructions I gave her and for the bus driver to tell her to get off there. The lady thanks me thoroughly and I leave to go about my shopping. I really hope the middle-aged lady got to her important event only 5 minutes late.

So I got to help someone in need and got to share the story with you all again. (The last one happened late last year when I helped a guy who clearly wasn't dealing with the summer heat well and begged for a can of soft drink.)
VCE: Psychology | English Language | LOTE | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics | Chemistry                  
Uni: (Hons)
[Currently semi-available]

insanipi

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2177
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 02:39:29 pm »
+9
Bumping bc relevant:
There's this kid who made a rant on Monash Stalkerspace last week about being lonely at the Parkville campus. Myself and a few others reached out and invited him to a few events that were on the hap and we all went to make sure he was going to be okay in the days that followed.

Fast forward to today, I saw him studying on his own in the packed caf, so I shouted him a coffee, in true Parkville spirit. He appreciated it and was really nice to do something nice for someone who was in need of a hello. ^-^

tocoolforschool

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »
Bumping bc relevant:
There's this kid who made a rant on Monash Stalkerspace last week about being lonely at the Parkville campus. Myself and a few others reached out and invited him to a few events that were on the hap and we all went to make sure he was going to be okay in the days that followed.

Fast forward to today, I saw him studying on his own in the packed caf, so I shouted him a coffee, in true Parkville spirit. He appreciated it and was really nice to do something nice for someone who was in need of a hello. ^-^

Wow! That's an awesome story! You have brightened my day!  ;D

I may not be the strongest. I may not be the smartest. But I'm damn well going to try my hardest.