Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:10:33 am

Author Topic: The Ravagingly Rageful Ranting Rui  (Read 15723 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
The Ravagingly Rageful Ranting Rui
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »
+19
Ok, I'm kidding about the hyperbole. Don't roll your tongue a bit TOO forcefully.

Sup. My name is Rui. I am that overly-obsessed math nerd that has reached a point where it is becoming love and hate.  I am a very laid back and hopefully funny person IRL. And online, I can potentially be one of the scariest. I can be extremely awkward, or very easy to talk to. I thank being a Gemini for having so many dual traits. Just too bad that if you put me under pressure, I wouldn't be able to list any of them.

The thread title is that because it reflects how I'm always sour over little things, at least when they involve myself. I set myself expectations which may be unrealistic to others, and will get angry/upset/whatever for not getting there. But ahh, it's all fair enough.

A bit of my uni profile
- Always advanced mathematics, plus something else
- Formerly actuarial studies. No regrets whatsoever doing it; made me appreciate business a lot more
- Now computer science rookie
- Courses this semester: Complex analysis, Intro to programming, Abstract algebra/Fundamental analysis, Linear models
- Overloaded last semester
- Some of my friends are more nerdy than I am. (Yeah, that's possible.)
- Wish I could have alcohol more, but don't want to torture my system
- Joke around whenever possible in my classes
- Occasionally help out too much to the extent I neglect my own stuff. Because it's more fun.
- Wish I could also game more, but rip time
- Brag: I finished first year with exactly 90.00 WAM... :P

And, well, also the MX2 lecturer presently! I may or may not have swore a lot.

Yeah, idk what else you might wanna hear from me. But of course, can always comment below :P

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
Re: The Ravagingly Rageful Ranting Rui
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31:50 pm »
+11
24 Aug 17

So, part of why the thread is so bashful is because I made it on the same day I got upset... over losing just one measly mark in my test out of 20. Yeah, that's the kind of expectations I throw at myself. Was really stressed about having 11 or so labs to get done by the weekend (when I can't even do ONE of them this week!!!) but then the lecturer set the due date back a week, which was just a blessing for me.

Fluctuating activity on the forums. Week 4 of uni was still pretty chill but this week was a bomb, and I need to get my shit back together again.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:44 pm »
+12
Rui, you absolute madman

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
+11
He's a menace!!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:53:14 pm »
+11
Rui, you absolute madman
stop stealing my line >:( thats my intellectual property K8M8
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
+8
25 Aug 17

Was meant to do a whole bunch of labs today but procrastinated from all of that. At least a part of the procrastination was just being productive at doing something else.

Apparently I'm learning how to use vim tonight despite being a computing rookie. GG.

Still thankful that I finally have a four-day semester. Haven't had that since first year sem 1

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:35 pm »
+6
27 Aug 17

I'm only doing one entry this weekend and will most likely keep it that way \(\forall\) weekends.

Just now - Was watching a lecture on some beautiful complex analysis shit when my internet crashed. Dear internet/service provider/..., how rude.

First week computing's been hard. Not sure how to feel about it. Still complain way less than back in actl but like, rip feeling good.

Sometimes I wonder why I do pure maths when it's so ridiculously complicated.

Rant: My piano teacher and I were discussing. I swear, it's either you have NOTHING to do at uni, or TOO MUCH to do at uni. Never a "just right" amount

Still lazy as always. Making lecture slides is hard.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:34 pm »
+4
27 Aug 17

I'm only doing one entry this weekend and will most likely keep it that way \(\forall\) weekends.

Just now - Was watching a lecture on some beautiful complex analysis shit when my internet crashed. Dear internet/service provider/..., how rude.

First week computing's been hard. Not sure how to feel about it. Still complain way less than back in actl but like, rip feeling good.

Sometimes I wonder why I do pure maths when it's so ridiculously complicated.

Rant: My piano teacher and I were discussing. I swear, it's either you have NOTHING to do at uni, or TOO MUCH to do at uni. Never a "just right" amount

Still lazy as always. Making lecture slides is hard.

the internet has been so irritating today. it was working fine in the morning, then after that it just kept crashing... anyone else having the same issue?

props to you for doing so much maths, i only do 2u (3u in prelim... don't know what i was thinking) and i'm so ready to finish school so i don't have to do maths anymore. what interests you about maths? do you know what kind of job you'd like after uni?

also you mentioned piano in uni - do you have lessons weekly (seems to be the usual for most when learning an instrument)? and do you still do grades? i'm considering dropping piano after this year, that is, still do it, but only on a recreational basis - without a teacher.

hope you have a great week!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »
+7
the internet has been so irritating today. it was working fine in the morning, then after that it just kept crashing... anyone else having the same issue?

props to you for doing so much maths, i only do 2u (3u in prelim... don't know what i was thinking) and i'm so ready to finish school so i don't have to do maths anymore. what interests you about maths? do you know what kind of job you'd like after uni?

also you mentioned piano in uni - do you have lessons weekly (seems to be the usual for most when learning an instrument)? and do you still do grades? i'm considering dropping piano after this year, that is, still do it, but only on a recreational basis - without a teacher.

hope you have a great week!
Crashes are generally infrequent where I live these days (which I'm thankful of; five years ago it was rubbish) but yeah, weird night.

A lot of people want to get out of maths though. Even though I lecture 4U I'll probs still mention that "some of you will not need to deal with this kind of maths anymore ever again". But I guess, whilst there's thousands of ways of doing a question I like how there's always an answer. I prefer that kind of black-and-white perspective over having to pick one out of a whole bunch of choices.

Jobs - Dunno, because I ditched actuarial for comp science recently. Kept some options open such as
- Statistician
- Research
- AI involved stuff

To be honest, I picked it up after my HSC year. But it was mostly because by the time my HSC ended I was too frustrated that I had given it up when I was young. I wanna get AMEB done and dusted (despite the agony it causes). Recreational is still pretty good though; more often than not the recommended approach.

Good luck for the rest of your HSC :D (it WILL soon be over - freedom.)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:48:08 pm »
+12
28 Aug 17

That test that I had last Thursday? Turns out I got 18/20. It's not a bad mark but I'm like scratching my head so hard trying to figure out where that second mark got lost because I won't get the paper back until this upcoming Thursday.

Sometimes I really question my tutoring habits at uni. I take one revision class every week, and I seem to have a tendency to push preparing for it till Monday nights anyway. But it's never greatly problematic though, because on Mondays I finish earlier.

Questioning if I need to do more warm-ups for computing now.

My second year math friends carry me so hard. They just don't realise it and focus on when I help them :|
If HDs don't fall out of trees, then they fall out of being carried af.

Speaking of which, I thought I saw a lot of if statements in maths. Now that I do computing, lol woah.

Food is good.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:50:17 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »
+7
29 Aug 17

Woke up drowsy. Thought "what was going on". Checked my phone. 6:20AM. No wonder. Prepared to go back to sleep.

But then I scrolled down and saw an email from my computing lecturer. Yassss boom full marks for a fully functional code for my assignment! Now I just hope that it was stylised well enough to receive the remainder of those marks.

My new laptop charger arrived but it turns out that I ordered an old model. What, rip. Now I need to go to an Apple store to get it exchanged, but I'll probs do that on Thursday and exploit the shopping night hours.

Lab partner did one of the unexpectedly extremely hard labs for me. So grateful.

Assignments and tests coming up, but rip no announcement yet so idk how to prepare for them.

Somehow my usual going-home-with-friends ended up involving a Maccas run. Driving whilst eating. New experience. Also for some reason whilst Maccas usually makes me tired, when I'm driving it makes me more energetic. Probs not the best lmao

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »
+9
31 Aug 17

Came late to my first class of the day, and it was a tutorial. We had a small collective laugh on how I struggled to find an easily accessible seat.

Sorted out the charger thing, which is nice.

Appreciating the fact I might've secured a summer vacation research scholarship!

Driving in places I've never driven before is scary. But at least now that I drive on the motorway every day my lane changing skills are finally significantly better

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
+9
1 Sep 17

Woah. Not much to say besides that I intended to finish an assignment by 6:30 PM, yet it's still not done because I genuinely don't know how to do some of the questions.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 10:21:00 pm »
+8
3 Sep 17

Was definitely nice meeting some of y'all at UNSW!

Honestly. That same test I posted about in my last entry on Friday... it didn't get done until today. Has math ever been so bloody hard???

Still though, that feeling when you get it over and done with is always brilliant. Being able to do something challenging isn't something I get to feel on a weekly basis anymore. Takes so much effort just to get ONE QUESTION done, let alone an exercise.

Feels bad. I always prepare a lesson for my tutorial class too late, and then I get lazy to fully prepare the material. I love teaching but I do a lazy job at it.

Heck, I'm lazy altogether. I need help.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:33 pm »
+8
6 Sep 17

Was driving home from uni. On a typical day. On the motorway, in a tunnel.

When suddenly my P plates fly off my car. Fuck, definitely not getting THAT one back.

Got a computing test this Friday and I only started studying for it a few hours ago. Wonder how screwed I am.

Was furious yesterday. My chances of getting that research internship just got significantly lowered with how they merged the school of maths' version into their own... 50 spots.. in an entire faculty.................

My feet hurt. At least my new shoes are pretty.

I don't really like linear algebra anymore :( it was wonderful last semester, but I want to keep it there. This semester, any talk about algebra is doing my head in. I think I'm going to be more of an analyst than an algebraist in the long run.

Contemplating what honours courses to do. I know I'm only gonna be in third year next year, but I'm probably doing combinatorics then. Some of my friends are also talking me into measure theory (especially given I like both pure and probability), so I may give that a go.

Oh and also, doing maths with the Riemann-Zeta function is DEFINITELY not easy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:51:36 pm by RuiAce »