Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 18, 2019, 12:40:11 pm

Author Topic: Physio Information & Question Thread  (Read 13054 times)  Share 

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2082
Re: Physio Information & Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 11:43:42 am »
+4
Hi!
What is the "research self-directed activity" in the Thursday afternoon time slot? What do you do in it? Also about the textbooks, which ones do you think are essential/recommended for physio students?
Thank you for starting this thread as it has been extremely helpful!

Research used to be an in person lecture when I was in first year then last year they just changed it to an online lecture that you do in your own time :) You learn about statistics and all that - perhaps not the most exciting but actually really important knowledge to have.

In terms of textbooks, the two most important ones to have are Brukner and Khan's Clinical Sports Medicine (this is your bible) and Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. The rest you can get away with just borrowing from the library when you need them. :)
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

lilhoo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
Hi! Congrats on getting in :)

Yes, lectures are definitely recorded.
CBL (case based learning) is something you do weekly throughout the degree. On a Monday morning you'll get the opening to a case study and have to work through the questions provided with your group. By the end of the session you'll have worked out your "learning issues" for the week - basically what you need to cover more in depth to understand more about the case (the learning issues are usually thinks like pathophysiology, physio management of the condition, etc.). Everyone has to do one of these things, you submit it by Thursday night and then on Friday afternoon you do the case closure. You get given more info about the case, present your learning issue to your small group (just the key points, don't go reading the whole thing word for word haha) and then now you have a better understanding you work through more questions.

CBL will be explained in more depth to you by the unit coordinator and the tutors, so don't worry :)
I was also wondering where and when we would be able to access recorded lectures? My timetable is so packed that I can't fit a time to do my Vicroads driving text  :( so I'm planning to skip the three lectures on thursday labelled "PTY1011_PE_S1_ON-CAMPUS
PHYSIOTHERAPY 1", would that be alright?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 05:21:41 pm »
+1
I was also wondering where and when we would be able to access recorded lectures? My timetable is so packed that I can't fit a time to do my Vicroads driving text  :( so I'm planning to skip the three lectures on thursday labelled "PTY1011_PE_S1_ON-CAMPUS
PHYSIOTHERAPY 1", would that be alright?
Yeah that's probably the best day to do it because attendance at lectures isn't compulsory. They'll explain more about using Moodle and such at orientation but on your unit Moodle page there will be a link to echo/learning capture/whatever is used to host the lecture recordings - you just click on that and select the lecture you want to watch (based on date and time of its scheduling). Lecture recordings are available pretty much straight away

MrGenius

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:53 am »
In terms of textbooks, the two most important ones to have are Brukner and Khan's Clinical Sports Medicine (this is your bible) and Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. The rest you can get away with just borrowing from the library when you need them. :)

Would there be enough copies in the library for me to borrow especially in peak periods such as exam revision?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:46 am »
+3
Would there be enough copies in the library for me to borrow especially in peak periods such as exam revision?
Should be. If you're super concerned, just borrow them a week or two beforehand so that you have them before the rush. Otherwise (and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this), provided noone requests the specific book you have on loan, you can keep a book out on loan indefinitely. If no one has requested it, it'll just auto-renew, so there's nothing stopping you from borrowing some books at the start of semester and using them for the whole semester.