Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:04:08 am

Author Topic: Module B: Jane Eyre  (Read 2985 times)

Mitchell.h

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Module B: Jane Eyre
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:25:16 am »
Arrrrrggghhh!!
Where do I start?!?! :-[ :-[
We have just been given a task.... basically give a speech on the following:
    ‘The qualities of a text will determine its reception in different contexts.’
    Consider Jane Eyre in terms of ideas, language and form, and its reception in different
    contexts in exploring the given statement.  :-\
Any ideas on where to start!? :o
Cheers....!!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Module B: Jane Eyre
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:04 am »
+1
Arrrrrggghhh!!
    Consider Jane Eyre in terms of ideas, language and form, and its reception in different
Cheers....!!!

Hey Mitch! I'm not read your novel so not going to be able to offer specific advice, but you should check out:

-These notes on Jane Eyre, they are VCE focused but should still be super helpful!
-This guide on writing a Module B essay, many of the tips will port straight over to a speech format :)

Hopefully someone else can offer more specific advice, and hopefully these help you get started! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:32:18 pm »
Arrrrrggghhh!!
Cheers....!!!

Hey! I recommend making a little table to help you study this. Consider a few different contexts (you pick!): Maybe the context it was written in, and context in England/Aus now. The text is a bildungsroman (typical of this period in England) so consider if this was expected from audiences, and then consider if it was still expected when the protagonist is a female. So based on plot, consider this then, and consider it now. The book has been noted for its proto-feminism, classism, critique of religion, and also sexuality. So there's a lot of key ideas for you to analyse for at least two different contexts. In terms of language, this book has been hailed for it's writing style. You can be critical and consider: is this writing style still accessible today? Is this writing style what modern readers want? But also consider, if this book was not written as well as it was, would it still be talked about today or would its literary discredit have forced it by the wayward a long time ago?

I think if you draw up a table with at least two contexts you'd like to view it through and divide that into the ideas, the language and the form, you can write down your thoughts as you move through the book and you can jot down notes about specific quotes or pages to come back to when you are constructing your speech! Good luck :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mitchell.h

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:48:46 pm »
Hey!!
Thanks heaps for your help...!! ;)
Just another ignorant question....
Could I use intertextuality to support my arguments, for example, disapproving letters to Charlotte Bronte in response to her novel, displaying the thoughts of people in that context?
or is this essay just about the text only...??!!
Eeeekkkk..... hope that makes sense.....!! :-\ ::)
Cheers