Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 09, 2021, 05:57:34 pm

Author Topic: UNSW Course Reviews  (Read 111716 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1002
Re: UNSW Course Reviews
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2020, 11:26:42 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: DESN2000 - Engineering Design and Professional Practice

Contact Hours:
Lectures: 1x 2 hours, 1x 1 hour
Tutorial: 2x 2 hours

Assumed Knowledge:

Assessment:
Design Journal: 25% (two check-ins during the term)
Interim Presentation: 15%
Preliminary Report: 15%
Pitch Presentation: 10%
Final Report: 30%
Peer Review: 5%

Lecture Recordings? Yes

Notes/Materials Available: Sample reports, video guides for reports

Textbook: Engineering Design: A Systematic Approach (Third Edition) by G. Pahl, W. Beitz, J. Feldhusen, K. H. Grote - no need to purchase it because you can easily access it online but it's useful for a section of the final report

Lecturer(s): Dr Ang Liu

Year & Trimester of completion: 2020 T3

Difficulty: 1/5

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

Comments:
DESN2000 is the new version of MMAN2100. The only difference is that DESN2000 takes on students from different schools of engineering and your classes are based on which engineering you're doing (e.g. MECH, CIVIL, SPREE, ELEC etc.) - I did the MECH stream. Ang is a great lecturer, but he goes through a lot of content and examples that are sometimes not necessary. The content itself isn't too hard because a lot of the time you're just following the steps outlined in the lecture slide. My main issue with the course is how ambiguous the instructions are. This is the first time DESN2000 is run, which is understandable, but sometimes it gets a bit yikes when you're trying to ask for help and the response you get is "well it's your choice." The other annoying thing is that in the final report, there's a section where they ask you to discuss stuff you learnt from other courses. The examples they listed were FEA, FMEA and electronic schematics. This would've been fine if DESN2000 wasn't a 2nd year engineering course - these examples are professional electives so it's not guaranteed that everyone knows FEA. The other annoying thing is that they asked us to our product onto CAD. It's understandable for them to ask us to draw on CAD, if MMAN2130 was a prerequisite or at least a corequisite with the course. Because we're generating a complex product on CAD (since we designed a chair), not everyone in the team was either confident to do so since they're taking MMAN2130 during the term or can't do it because they haven't done MMAN2130 or don't have access to CAD.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2020, 01:17:51 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: CHEM1011 - Chemistry 1A: Atoms, Molecules and Energy

Contact Hours:  1x 1hr lecture, 1x 2hr lecture, 1x 1hr lab 'prep, 1x 3hr laboratory, 1x 1hr tutorial a week.

Assumed Knowledge: HSC Chemistry

Assessment:  8x laboratory weekly quizzes (10%), Online laboratory core skills (10%), had to get 100% on each test, maximum 4 attempts. A fail would result in a fail for the course. 3x validation tests (40%) 90% or higher was needed on each test to obtain the full amount, failure to do so would result in a fail for the course. Final exam (40%)

Lecture Recordings?  A given yes due to covid.

Notes/Materials Available: Online learning moodle modules were also provided in conjunction to the lectures. Extra materials for further reading was also provided.

Textbook: Allan Blackman, Siegbert Schmid, Mauro Mocerino, Uta Wille, Steve Bottle (2018) Chemistry, 4th edition, Wiley & Sons.

Lecturer(s): Prof. Scott Kable (1st half), Prof. Alex Donald (2nd half)

Difficulty: 3.4/5

Overall Rating:  4.3/5

Your Mark/Grade: 80 DN

Comments:
UNSW does a really good job with first year science courses, and this one was no exception.

Although very overwhelming when initially looking at the course, once you understand it all, you can clearly see that this course has been very carefully structured to reduce workload, stress and difficulty of the course. One of the best things about the course is that everyone that sat the final exam had already passed the course, something I think all courses should be following.

The course was split into two main categories; threshold and mastery content. To put it simply, threshold content was the simple part of the course, and was the minimum requirements to pass the course. The mastery content extends from the threshold, and is what gives us higher marks (CR,DN,HD). Each week, there was initially a threshold lecture, and then a mastery lecture, it all flowed really well.

Scott Kable is a really good lecturer, even with the harder online times. Very interactive, supportive and taught at a very good pace. The only critique is the fact that if we ran out of time, it got too fast to comprehend almost anything.
Alex Donald tried to follow the same, and it didn't work as well, but I'll throw this onto being inexperienced. He was very monotone, and the "read off the slides" type of guy.

The assessments were also really good. I'm an avid fan of assessments being under 50% weighting and actually rewards hard work, and this course followed this mentality. Although the validation tests were stressful, they were an easy 40% if you consistently kept up with the content. The final exam was all an online moodle test, and it worked flawlessly.

The biggest downside to the whole course was simply the online laboratory sessions, it was very boring, and I didn't learn as much as I should've. However, I don't blame the course here, but rather the situation.

To sum this up, look forward to this course, if it were this good online, it'll be even better face-to-face. Just stay on-top of the work!
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2020, 12:50:00 am »
+5
Subject Code/Name: PHYS3116 - Astrophysics

Contact Hours:  1x 2 hr lecture, 2x 1 hr lecture, 1x 1 hr tutorial a week

Assumed Knowledge: None, really.

Assessment:  2x Assignment (questions) 20% (10% each). 1x mid-term (20%), Final exam (60%)

Lecture Recordings?  A given yes due to covid.

Notes/Materials Available: None. (lecture slides are given)

Textbook: “An  Introduction  to  Modern  Astrophysics” by Carroll and Ostlie, 2nd Edition

Lecturer(s): A/Prof Kim-Vy Tran (1st half), Prof. Prof Sarah Brough (2nd half)

Difficulty: 3.0/5

Overall Rating:  2.3/5

Your Mark/Grade: 76 DN

Comments:

As a physics elective, if you want a really easy, but interesting course, this is the course for you. This is by far the easiest elective out there.

That being said, the whole course is really underwhelming. The lectures themselves were alright (albeit the bland nature of the lecturers), but the slides made it almost impossible to study on for exams, and with no supporting material, it made the whole studying really difficult. This is really a textbook focused course. The whole of the first assignment was just questions picked out of the textbook.

This course could be way harder, with integrals, however (luckily for us) the majority of the questions are simply 'plug and chug', a real positive. There really isn't much more to say apart from don't expect much effort from the course coordinators, just stick to the textbook and it'll be pretty easy
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +465
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:13 pm »
+4
Subject Code/Name: ECON2101 - Microeconomics 2

Contact Hours:
- Lectures are pre-recorded (3 lectures per week).
- 1 x 1 hr Workshop tutorial.
- 1 x 1 hr Q&A session.

Assumed Knowledge:
- ECON1101 is a pre-requisite; a basic understanding of differentiation is recommended (if you've taken ECON1202 or MATH1131/1141/1151, you'll be fine with the maths).

Assessment:
- 5 x Weekly quizzes (60%).
- 2 x Extra Questions (10%).
- Final exam (30%).

Lecture Recordings? Lectures are pre-recorded.

Notes/Materials Available: Lecture slides are sufficient.

Textbook: Intermediate Microeconomics: A tool-building approach by Samiran Bannerjee is the prescribed textbook and I highly suggest you get it.

Lecturer(s):
- Lecturer: Aleksandra Balyanova.
- Tutor: Ping Richard Gong.

Year & Trimester of completion: 2021 Summer Term

Difficulty: 2/5.

Overall Rating:  2.5/5.

Your Mark/Grade: SoonTM.

Comments: I mainly did this course purely out of economic interest and seeing how this is a fairly math-sy course, I thought it'd be an interesting experience. The course states that you need to put in at least 25 hours per week during the summer but in all honesty, 5 hours is sufficient. The course material is fairly easy to follow and not much from ECON1101 is really required for the course.

The course begins with a light introduction to the concept of preferences and builds a mathematical framework into how consumers rank certain choices using the idea of a utility. We then take a detour into the supply side of the market and build similar frameworks to that of the consumers. The last few chapters of the course concerns itself with the relationships between consumers and suppliers (monopoly, game theory and oligopoly).

One of my biggest issues with the course is the fact that quiz concepts aren't really taught (whether it's explicitly or implicitly) in the lectures. As a result, we had to make a few wild assumptions (turned out to be the right assumptions) in order to answer the problems. This was quite a frequent experience for a lot of the quiz problems, coupled with the fact that it's primarily graded based on the first attempt and is weighted pretty highly, is a bit concerning. I do like the fact that if we don't get full marks in the first attempt, we can earn 2 marks if we reattempt the quiz and get 100% - I found that to be a really nice added incentive to understand the concepts taught in the quizzes.

The extra questions were a bit vague as well -- I struggled to understand what they were trying to ask in the first place. Conceptually wasn't challenging but having to read through a lot of meaningless words was not really my vibe.

With the lectures being pre-recorded, I do like the added Q&A sessions and workshop session. Those sessions were really helpful. I also liked the incentive of giving away bonus marks for contributions on Piazza. Teaching others is the best way to learn so having a chance to earn an extra 1% in the course AND learning something new is a win-win in my book.

Overall, I wasn't really expecting much with the course. I did it mainly because I wanted to do a bit of economics. There were a few issues here and there, but I think this course has significantly improved since its last offering - at least I think so. Would I recommend it as an elective? Probably not. Do I regret taking it? Ehhh not really. It was certainly an experience. They definitely overestimated the amount of time needed to do well in the course.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:56:44 pm by Opengangs »
Computer Science (Artifical Intelligence), Advanced Science (Pure Mathematics Major)
Biology | Business Studies | English (Advanced) | Mathematics (Advanced) | Mathematics (Extension 1) | Software Design and Development