Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 21, 2020, 07:01:34 am

Author Topic: UNSW Course Reviews  (Read 90148 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +854
Re: UNSW Course Reviews
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2020, 02:07:35 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: MDIA3000 - Discourse and Promotion

Contact Hours: 3 - 2 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial

Assumed Knowledge:66 units of credit overall including MDIA2005 or MDIA2006 or MDIA2012

Assessment:
- 50% quizzes: 6 quizzes in weeks 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 worth 8% each + 2 assessment reflections worth 1% each
- 20% evaluation report summary
- 30% evaluation report presentation

Lecture Recordings? Yes because of online learning, although I think lectures for the course are in the same format outside of the pandemic.

Notes/Materials Available: Everything you need is on Moodle.

Textbook: N/A

Lecturer(s): Lecturer - Luk Swiatek, Tutor - Katya Quigley

Year & Trimester of completion: 2020, T2

Difficulty: 2/5

Overall Rating: 1/5

Comments:
This is going to sound like such a Karen comment, but if I could give this course a rating of 0/5, I would. The only reason it gets 1/5 is because my tutor was amazing and really tried to help us out even though we asked so many silly questions that were probably really stupid and a waste of time.

Overall, although I thought the course was awful, I have to acknowledge the care and consideration that was put into structuring the course this term. Lectures were structured into smaller topics on this Moodle function (I have no idea what it's called), so you would watch a short clip going through the lecture content, followed by real promotional examples, which was then followed by a question that somewhat emulated the quiz questions we got every week. I thought this was really well thought out because it's hard to pay attention for long periods of time and it's always good to see real-life examples of what you're learning about; however, the lectures were never uploaded on time. Tutorials were held on Mondays and Thursdays and we had quizzes after our tutorials, and the lectures were never uploaded before Monday. Quizzes were based on the content of the same week (so week 3 content = week 3 quiz) rather than the content of the previous week so it was really frustrating when you got to Wednesday night (my tutorial was on Thursday morning) and the lectures had just been uploaded. I don't even know how the Monday tutorials coped because everyone on Thursday was complaining about the delay in lectures being uploaded.

As for tutorials, they were supposed to run for 2.5 hours, but they were shortened to 50 minutes of content followed by 20 minutes for the quiz. I thought this rendered tutorials practically useless as we had to go through things so quickly and there wasn't enough time to fully explain concepts taught in lectures if we were confused. I think that if the tutorials ran for the full 2.5 hours, the learning experience would've been so much better. Not to mention there wasn't enough time to explain assessments as all tutorial time was used to prepare for the quiz.

Now for assessments. While I understand that the quizzes were worth almost 50% of our grade, there was more explanation of that which was something we did every week than the assignments. We weren't given actual examples of what an evaluation report is in PR which made things really confusing because obviously no student has written a text like that before. We were given a basic structure of how we could write the report, but there was no explanation or clarification in tutorials as to what an evaluation report is and when we asked the tutor, she seemed a bit lost. A lot of the time there was a clear lack of communication between teaching staff because a lot of the time everyone felt like they were left on their own. Assessment result turnover was also really awful as we required the results from A2 to do the final assignment and we didn't get that back until a week before the final assignment was due, and even then, feedback was not helpful whatsoever. Even though we got these a week back before the final assignment was due, this was after the final due date was pushed back a week after lobbying from students.

To cap it all off, the course content didn't feel very relevant to the PR or advertising industries, and we struggled to make it relevant to what we would want in the future. I really hope that the course convenor will take our feedback on MyExperience into account because this course was a mess.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2020, 05:55:51 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: MDIA3008 - Issues and Crisis Communication

Contact Hours:4 - 2 hour lecture, 2 hour tutorial

Assumed Knowledge:66 units of credit overall including MDIA2005 or MDIA2006 or MDIA2012

Assessment:
- 25% group presentation
- 25% short essay
- 50% critical analysis or crisis communications plan

Lecture Recordings? Yes because of online learning, but the convenor/lecturer did tell us that there were recordings if lectures were live.

Lecturer(s): Lecturer and tutor - Peter Roberts

Overall Rating: 3/5

Comments:
This course transitioned really well to online learning. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable because the content was a little dry and repetitive at times, but there was clear foresight into how skills and concepts learnt in class could be applicable to a career in the communications industry.

Lectures were posted in the PPT format with voice recordings which I thought wasn't ideal, but it was definitely convenient if you wanted to go through content again or if you missed something. I didn't like this format because I couldn't speed up the lecture and conversion to an MP4 file to fast track it didn't work because audio became out of sync. As for tutorials, the majority of tutorials were taken up by the group presentations which were based on that week's content, and the presentations analysed a case study chosen by students with theory. The remainder of tutorials mostly repeated main points from the lecture which could be boring.

As for assessments, I thought they were alright, and relevant to course material and for building on skills required in the PR industry except maybe the essay, but that helps indirectly as it builds on critical thinking skills. I thought that the presentation was really good in getting people to work together, but that could probably be because I was really lucky to get a good group and we worked well together. The only concern I have with the final assessment was that we had the option to choose between a critical analysis or crisis communications plan. The critical analysis is an individual task, but it is essentially the same thing as the group presentation but more concise and can cover a larger range of topics, as you can pick from every topic in the term compared to the week you were assigned to for the presentation. The crisis communications plan was a group task (2 people) and I think that doing the plan would've been better as it actually puts concepts learnt throughout the course into practice rather than writing what was essentially a semi-structured essay.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2020, 06:09:33 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: ARTS1210 - Concepts of Asia

Contact Hours: 3 - 2 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial

Assumed Knowledge: None

Assessment:
- 20%: 2x response to readings
- 40%: essay
- 20% historical site exercise
- 20%: test

Lecture Recordings? Yes, and we were told that lecture recordings are always provided for live lectures too.

Lecturer(s): Lecturer - Mina Roces, Tutor - Louise Edwards

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Comments:
If I didn't do German, this would be the best course I have completed since commencing my studies at UNSW. It is really well structured, really interesting and you can tell that there has been so much care and consideration put into this course. As a first year and/or foundational course, Mina has structured it in a way that helps students build on their writing skills and it is essentially a course that encourages students on a path of academia. Louise is also a gem and is so incredibly helpful and I have nothing but praise for these two. The only reason I didn't give the extra 0.5 in the rating is because no course is perfect, and I'll provide some reasons as to why that's the case for Concepts.

For the lectures, the lecture recordings from last year were used. While this was disappointing because you do want new content, Mina is a really engaging lecturer so you can almost overlook this. As for the tutorials, I thought they were too short and students could definitely benefit if they were 1.5 hours, as an extra half an hour would provide so much more scope for discussion and really enrich critical thinking skills which are integral to the course.

The only complaint I have about this course is the assessments. There is one assessment every two weeks - so you'll have one in weeks 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 - so it's somewhat stressful as you don't really have a lot of room to breathe given that most students are completing 2 other courses during the term. Other than that, I thought the assessments were great and build on academic skills, particularly writing and really set you up for research if that's something you would like to do after studying. Other than that, I highly recommend this course if you have an interest in Asia or history in general as it's taught really well and while the assessment schedule is a little packed, the content makes up for it.

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2020, 12:05:46 pm »
+3
Subject Code/Name: EDST4080-Special Education: Inclusive Strategies

Contact Hours:  2hr lecture, 1hr tute (sometimes 1hr of lecture or tute was replaced by online activities/questions)

Assumed Knowledge: Must have completed EDST2002, and enrolled in an education degree.

Assessment:  Evidence-based practise guide (45%), Information booklet for High School Teachers (55%). Both assessments must be passed to pass the course.

Lecture Recordings?  A given yes due to covid.

Notes/Materials Available:  There were some additional resources we could've looked into, but not something too big

Textbook: Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement-Marvyn Hyde, Lorelai Carpenter, and Shelley Dole. Not needed.

Lecturer(s): Iva Strnadová (and guest lecturers some weeks).

Year & Trimester of completion: 2020 T2

Difficulty: 2.1/5

Overall Rating:  2.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 82 DN

Comments:
This course was pretty standard run-of-the-mill type of education course. It wasn't really lacking in anything like the majority of the first year education, but it also had nothing in it that made it shine.

As sad as it is to say this, every time we had a guest lecturer for our lectures, those were the ones that were by far the best in terms of content and how it was being presented. Like all EDST lectures, it is simply a 2 hour block of the lecturer where we listen. The content presented in these lectures though has been one of the more valuable ones so far. The content discusses a variety of disabilities that we are likely to encounter in the teaching world and the harsh realities this poses on the student and the learning environment. It gets you thinking about how your plans as a teacher might change to accommodate for these students.

The tutorials were pretty garbage though. I do mainly blame the online aspect to it, but every tutorial went like this:
short recap of lecture -> breakout groups of 4-5 people to do a task -> everyone presents to the class. SUPER repetitive, and it's just a roll of the dice to see if you have good breakout partners or not. It was very awkward and I hated doing these.

I found the assessments alright at best, for the first one, you are given a really good resource, and following that same format as that is bound to give you good marks. A pretty simple assessment

Assessment 2 was a doozy though. It had requirements to be user friendly, neat and creative. I do not do well with these, and as a result, my mark took a hit to this. My booklet ended up being 27 PAGES long, so if you're doing this course, get onto that assignment early, it's a big one.
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

WEREWOLF IS BACK! Click here!

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!