Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:19:23 am

Author Topic: RESULTS DAY (Mega Thread)  (Read 30150 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
RESULTS DAY (Mega Thread)
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »

This thread is going to act as a one stop shop for all sorts of advice about results, and a place for you guys to ask any questions you have about anything at all that isn’t answered below.

This is also the place to share how you went with us and with your peers. Think of it like a mini celebratory parade of results, just for us. Hell, even if you aren’t a forum member yet, register now and tell us how you went! If you’ve gotten a result you are happy about, tell the world and we’ll be sure to send a fist bump through the internet!

This is a supportive thread. I don’t have to tell you guys how stressful the HSC can be, and there will be all sorts of people here today. People stoked with their marks, whether they be Band 6’s or Band 3’s, and that is awesome. Let’s be happy that people achieved their goals and wanted to share that with us. Equally, there will be people disappointed in their marks, and we need to be supportive of them too.

I Don’t Get What’s in front of Me? Where did it come from?

If you want a bit of a behind the scenes look at where your marks came from, read our scaling guide. This guide goes through the process of attaining the marks that you received this morning. However you feel about them, it is nice to know where the heck they came from! If you have any questions about this process, let us know down below!

I’m Really Happy with my Results!

That is awesome. Take comfort in the fact that a random guy on the internet is seriously proud of you. Everyone here at ATAR Notes is seriously proud of you.

Don’t feel bad for being proud of what you’ve accomplished over the last two years of your life. It’s a big deal! And importantly, be proud no matter how big or how small your accomplishment was. If you got 1st in the state for English, go you! If you passed Mathematics when you were so sure you failed, go you just as much! Everyone has their own goals, and so if you’ve met them, don’t be ashamed to get excited!

Of course, make sure you are also really sensitive of the fact that not everyone will have achieved the goals they set themselves. For every person wanting to jump for joy, there is also someone who is probably really disappointed. And this can be the people we least expect.

So, look after your mates. You guys have all accomplished something incredible just by getting to the end of this massive stage of your life. Don’t be afraid to celebrate, and don’t be angry at people who do celebrate. Be supportive, and always keep looking upwards and forwards, never back and never down.

I’m Not So Happy with my Results…

If you are one of the people who aren’t so happy this morning, first of all, that is okay.

We all set goals for ourselves. You did it for your HSC, you do it in your job or in sports. If you go, you’ll do it at university too. And no matter how well you do, you’ll always measure your success against the goals you set for yourself. Even if you get a mark that most people would be happy with, if it’s not what you aimed for, then you have every right to be disappointed. Don’t ever let anybody make you feel ashamed of not being happy with your marks.

But just the same, this is just the start of your life. It’s disgustingly cliché, but: Your HSC Results don’t define you. The very fact that you are disappointed is evidence of the fact that you are clearly passionate about yourself, about your interests, and about your future. This, and all the other qualities that make you who you are, are what makes millionaires and will forge your future.

Trust me, any negative emotions you have now will fade fast. Plus, you might surprise yourself when your ATAR comes out tomorrow! Even if your results don’t quite meet your expectations, that doesn’t mean your ATAR won’t. Stay optimistic, you just never know!

Handling the Hecklers

Whether you are happy or not, you will definitely get people asking about how you went today. You might not want to tell them; and if you can avoid it, then don’t. Log out of Facebook, switch off your phone, delete your Tinder account.

Some people, you can’t avoid telling. This sucks; telling someone a result you aren’t happy with is not easy. But once it is done, it is done. Hopefully they support you, but if they don’t, then surround yourself with people who do. Today is not the day to be brought down or to bring someone else down, today is a day to be with the people who support you for the person you are.

ATAR is Coming Tomorrow

With your results now behind you, for better or worse, now we look towards the ATAR. The fact that there is a day difference between your marks and your ATAR sucks massively, but that’s a rant for another day. Any Victorians reading this, feel free to make fun of us below…

I once had a teacher tell me that you’d remember the day you get your ATAR for a while. Most stories I hear are of waking up early and waiting on the off chance it comes out slightly early (which it does sometimes). Mine’s a little different.

I remember, on the night before I received my ATAR, I set an alarm for something like 8 o’clock the next day. I’d not gotten a great sleep the night before, but I set the alarm and got to sleep. I probably should have known I’d sleep through that alarm.

My plan to get up and wait on my laptop for the release of my ATAR was replaced with a frantic phone call from my girlfriend wondering how I went. She had gotten hers and done really well, so I was congratulating her over the phone with one hand and trying to type in my ridiculous password with my right hand.

It seemed sort of anticlimactic really; no build up, no waiting. Just, “Oh shit, let’s log in and check that then.”

Just the same, try not to think too much about what is coming. I did, and it ended up being a waste because my ATAR snuck up on me. Try not to build expectations, try not to develop fears, and try not to set any plans or contingencies for how you think the day is going to go. No writing down the numbers of universities because you think you won’t get into your course. Just relax, enjoy a night celebrating the conclusion of your high school career, and maybe get to sleep earlier than I did if you want to get up on time.

Oh, and I could of course add all the “Your ATAR is just a number, it doesn’t matter in a year,” and that stuff is true. I vouch for it. But 90% of the people reading this are bloody sick of hearing that.

So Should I Predict my ATAR with my Results?

If you want to get a prediction of your ATAR using our ATAR Calculator, click here.

How accurate is the prediction? No ATAR Calculator is totally accurate, and you should always take the results with a grain of salt. That said, this one guesses mine within 0.1 of being correct. I’ve seen it guess 2015 graduates ATARs perfectly. It can definitely get your mind thinking in the right area.

Should you predict? Estimating your ATAR is kind of seen like part of the experience, part of the package.

However, if you don’t want to estimate, then don’t. A lot of people are better off not doing the estimate and just heading in blind. Don’t feel pressured to do it, just because you can.

If you have ANY questions at all about your results, PLEASE ask them below! Otherwise, sound off, how did you go? ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:04:34 am by jamonwindeyer »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Re: RESULTS DAY (Mega Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:01:47 pm »
Remember guys. No matter what they are, you should still feel proud of your mark!

Those are what you received from one whole entire year's worth of efforts. If you cared enough, then no matter what the numbers are you definitely tried your absolute best. That is what matters.

Keep these numbers coming... I'm full on curious...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:13:31 am by RuiAce »

Musa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:36:59 am »
Standard english 85
General maths 88
Ancient history 80
Industrial technology 79
Biology 85 (89 in the exam NAOMI THANK YOU, YOU SAVED MY ASS)

Did wa way better than expected. 

All calculators ~81 ( 85 pls pls pls)

MaddiG

• Adventurer
  • School: Murray High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:28 am »

AHist 95
EngAd 88
EngX1 44
Maths 96
MathsX1 41
HistX 43
SocCul 93

Absolutely stoked!!

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 06:53:35 am »
Guys, my HSC marks are exactly the same as my assessment mark, does anyone know why?

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:08:14 am »
English Advanced 92
Mathematics Extension I 97
Mathematics Extension II 93
Physics 95
Chemistry 92
Engineering Studies 90
Studies of Religion 98
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

ladyofathena

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:27:24 am »
So happy right now.

Adv English 93
Maths Ext 1 95
Maths Ext 2 89 (1 Mark off all rounders  >:( )
Chemistry 91
Physics 91

After all the stress (particularly with English) I'm so happy that my hard work has paid off  ;D
Congratulations everyone, you should be so proud of your results and the work you put in this year!
2016 ATAR - 99.15
Adv English - 93
Mathematics Ext 1 - 95
Mathematics Ext 2 - 89
Chemistry - 91
Physics - 91

alanabb

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:45:28 am »
Advanced english 91
Biology 92
Business studies 96
Chemistry 88
Modern History 90
 --- Maths 87

Predicted 97~
Super happy! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:57:21 am »
I filled in the boxes Jamon  ;)

Ancient History 91/100 (slightly disappointed with this just cos trials seemed way harder and I got 93 but can't complain too much hahaha)
Drama 91/100
Economics 81/100 (dunno how i managed that one lol)
English Advanced 93/100
History Extension 48/50
Modern History 96/100
Studies of Religion 47/50

Overall I'm really happy :) 96 for Modern was my goal since the beginning of the year so it's nice to know all the work for that paid off! English was way better than expected haha thanks Jamon, Elyse and brenden for reading all my essays and giving me so much feedback, I can guarantee that was a big factor in that mark :)

Good job everyone! The marks I've already seem from people are so good, proud to be part of the 2016 cohort :) Congrats, and good luck for tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:06:56 am by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 08:18:01 am »
Congrats to everyone above!! It sounds like you've all achieved some awesome personal goals, so proud of all of you!! ;D

Guys, my HSC marks are exactly the same as my assessment mark, does anyone know why?

Nothing to be concerned about, it's just how the moderation ended up, you got your own exam mark moderated to you for your assessment mark that's all! Pretty much all of mine were like that!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 08:18:50 am »
I filled in the boxes Jamon  ;)

Ayyyyyy ;) nicely done sudodds!! So proud of you, congratulations!  ;D

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
  • School: --
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 08:28:32 am »
Eng Ad 92
Legal  94
Mod Hist 91
Hist Ex 45
SOR II 94
Bio 88 (so close to all rounders  :( :()

Overall, really surprised by my results! ATAR Notes definitely helped with many of those subjects  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:29:22 am »
Eng Ad 92
Legal  94
Mod Hist 91
Hist Ex 45
SOR II 94
Bio 88 (so close to all rounders  :( :()

Overall, really surprised by my results! ATAR Notes definitely helped with many of those subjects  :)

Great stuff!! I'm glad AN was helpful, fantastic work on those results!! Smashed it!! ;D

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
Hey everyone,

To be honest I'm actually really disappointed in my marks. To others they may seem good, but I had incredibly high expectations and I didn't reach them. This does however, reflect how I did s**t-all all year except for right before trials and right before the hsc.

English advanced - 91  (disappointed)
Mathematics - 97 (considering i thought i screwed up badly, i'm quite happy with this mark)
Legal Studies - 95
Economics - 96
Business Studies - 95 (really disappointed in this one, I thought I would do tremendously better than this)

Well done to everyone else!!! Hope you guys got what you wanted :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 10:57:28 am »
Congrats to everyone above!! It sounds like you've all achieved some awesome personal goals, so proud of all of you!! ;D

Nothing to be concerned about, it's just how the moderation ended up, you got your own exam mark moderated to you for your assessment mark that's all! Pretty much all of mine were like that!

Ahhhh ok, thanks!!! I'm actually so proud of myself, all band 6s!!!!! Congratulations to everyone!!! and once again, thank you AN for being amazingggg and helping us out during our stress days haha

Now the ATAR wait begins...