Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 06, 2020, 08:21:18 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 179389 times)  Share 

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +43
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1395 on: June 06, 2020, 12:10:22 am »
+1
For this question:

Atp synthase produces atp.....

A during the electron transport chain in the krebs cycle of cellular respiration
B only during glycolysis in cellular respiration
C in cellular respiration and the light dependent reactions of photosynthesis
D directly from the photolysis of water

Would it be a??

Thank you for your help!
Yes, the answer is a.
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

Annasimon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1396 on: June 06, 2020, 01:11:43 am »
Two birds with the same ancestor have evolved different beak shapes suited to eating different types of food eg insects and fruit.

Would this be an example of divergent evolution?

Annasimon

• Adventurer
« Reply #1397 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:53 am »
Humoral immunity or humoural immunity?

Which is the correct

Coolmate

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀👨‍💻 - University Loading...
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #1398 on: June 06, 2020, 09:34:52 am »
+3
Two birds with the same ancestor have evolved different beak shapes suited to eating different types of food eg insects and fruit.

Would this be an example of divergent evolution?

Yes, this is an example of divergent evolution.

Which is the correct

I'm not quite sure about the correct spelling for this word (maybe Humoral Immunity?)

Hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:14:20 am by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020 (Complete):🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁     👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪   

🧬HSC Mod 5 Bio (Forum) Guide Coming Soon...                                                     

Aim: 90+ ATAR

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #1399 on: June 06, 2020, 11:03:09 am »
+2

Which is the correct
Humoral immunity.
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1400 on: June 06, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
For this question:
Two proteins actin and myosin are responsible for the contraction of muscles. Cellular extracts of these proteins will contract in a Petri dish in the presence of certain mineral ions. However this only occurs if a certain molecule is also present. This is
A adp
B Glucose
C nad
D  atp

Would it be atp?
Can someone explain

JeffBecker

• Adventurer
« Reply #1401 on: November 11, 2020, 08:20:53 pm »
Hi,

I got this question on edzion

Question 3. [6 marks]

Evaluate whether sexual or asexual reproduction is more favorable for the continuation of a species.

Anyone got any idea how to do it?

Owlbird83

• MOTM: Sep 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #1402 on: November 11, 2020, 08:58:31 pm »
+5
For this question:
Two proteins actin and myosin are responsible for the contraction of muscles. Cellular extracts of these proteins will contract in a Petri dish in the presence of certain mineral ions. However this only occurs if a certain molecule is also present. This is
A adp 'unloaded' energy molecule, the bond to the 3rd phosphate has been broken and released energy already.
B Glucose The glucose needs to undergo cellular respiration in order for the energy to be converted to a form thats useful to the cell (ATP)
C nad An 'unloaded' carrier of H ions and electrons, not useful to help cell move
D  atp

Would it be atp?
Can someone explain
Yeah, ATP. ATP is what provides energy for muscles to contract. It's the best way of providing energy to cellular processes, by breaking the bond to a phosphate and releasing energy contained in the bond.

Hi,

I got this question on edzion

Question 3. [6 marks]

Evaluate whether sexual or asexual reproduction is more favorable for the continuation of a species.

Anyone got any idea how to do it?

Some ideas for you to think about
Which method of reproduction produces more variation?
Why is increased variation in a population beneficial?

some hints
-sexual reproduction -> mutation, independent assortment, crossing over, fertilisation create variation
-asexual reproduction -> mutation only source of variation
-variation is important for natural selection to occur
-in event of environmental change, it's more likely that in a population with more variation there will be one or some individuals with beneficial traits that allow it to survive --> overtime the population can adapt as a whole through natural selection
-organisms that produce asexually will be more similar and therefore may be wiped out because none can deal with a sudden environmental change
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:03:21 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3155
« Reply #1403 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:58 pm »
+3
Yeah, ATP. ATP is what provides energy for muscles to contract. It's the best way of providing energy to cellular processes, by breaking the bond to a phosphate and releasing energy contained in the bond.

Some ideas for you to think about
Which method of reproduction produces more variation?
Why is increased variation in a population beneficial?

some hints
-sexual reproduction -> mutation, independent assortment, crossing over, fertilisation create variation
-asexual reproduction -> mutation only source of variation
-variation is important for natural selection to occur
-in event of environmental change, it's more likely that in a population with more variation there will be one or some individuals with beneficial traits that allow it to survive --> overtime the population can adapt as a whole through natural selection
-organisms that produce asexually will be more similar and therefore may be wiped out because none can deal with a sudden environmental change

Adding to this to give a couple of advantages of asexual reproduction

Spoiler
much faster population growth (given each mother has same amount of daughter) & no need to find a partner before reproduction (which can take energy and resources, open self to predation risk, disease etc.).

As Owlbird has said, the huge advantage of sexual reproduction which sees it evolve again and again is increased diversity

I haven't looked into HSC assessment much but hopefully this information helps you form a syllabus-suitable response :)

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
« Reply #1404 on: November 20, 2020, 02:42:59 pm »
Can someone please explain to me how polypeptide synthesis and DNA replication are related to each other?
Also if anyone has any assignments that they've completed on polypeptide synthesis, I would definitely appreciate it if you could upload it or send it to my email.

Thanks!  :)

Coolmate

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀👨‍💻 - University Loading...
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #1405 on: November 20, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain to me how polypeptide synthesis and DNA replication are related to each other?
Also if anyone has any assignments that they've completed on polypeptide synthesis, I would definitely appreciate it if you could upload it or send it to my email.

Thanks!  :)

Hey neha.singh4! :D

Polypeptide Synthesis and DNA Replication are related to each other. DNA Replication is the process of producing two identical DNA units from an original DNA unit, whereas Polypeptide Synthesis is the process of creating polypeptide chains, ultimately folding to form a functional protein. Firstly, DNA Replication must occur so there is a DNA unit available to be transcribed by mRNA and translated by tRNA (both processes in Polypeptide Synthesis).

Secondly, when a protein is required to be produced, the process of Polypeptide Synthesis is initiated where it uses a DNA molecule's template strand (From DNA Replication) to match opposing bases (EG. A - T or C - G), which after the processes of mRNA and tRNA, produces a protein. (Polypeptide Synthesis)

Hence, if DNA Replication did not occur, then Polypeptide Synthesis would not be able to occur as a result of no genetic material/ codons, meaning the mRNA cannot match complementary bases, leaving tRNA with nothing to translate. This means a protein cannot be produced, affecting the functions of certain parts of the body (EG. Hair Growth). But because (usually, unless a mutation is evident) DNA Replication occurs, this means so too can Polypeptide Synthesis, thus a relationship (one cannot occur without the other)

---> This image illustrates the process of DNA Replication

---> In this image you can see how Polypeptide Synthesis relies on the DNA unit to create functional proteins

About the assignment question, sorry I don't have one that I completed on Polypeptide Synthesis. Could you ask your teacher to see samples of assignments from last year?

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020 (Complete):🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁     👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪   

🧬HSC Mod 5 Bio (Forum) Guide Coming Soon...                                                     

Aim: 90+ ATAR