Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 29, 2020, 04:05:38 am

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 65211 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3096
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2019, 10:12:39 am »
+1
How do you reckon the scaling would be for the 2019 hsc.
What year will it be similar to?

Hey! It's impossible to tell, will depend on the subject and the exam and all manner of other factors ;D

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2020, 10:17:58 pm »
Why is the performance of the whole cohort critical to getting a Band 6?
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3096
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2020, 11:02:50 am »
+7
Why is the performance of the whole cohort critical to getting a Band 6?

Hey! Sorry for the delayed reply to your Q ;D

It's not exactly 'critical,' plenty of people get B6's in 'poor-performing' cohorts. But it does make it easier if you are around the middle of the pack. You can read more here (https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/), but basically, your cohorts' scores in the exam helps determine how your internal marks will moderate, meaning that if they do poorly in the exam, your internal mark might not be as high as you like, even if you personally do really well in the final exam.

The way to think about it is, if you are in a 'poor-performing' cohort, you just need to work hard to be ranked high in that cohort. To take that to the extreme, if you are ranked first and you also get the highest score in the final exam, it will be like your cohort never existed and you will just get your own mark. All of this is explained better in that link above :) hope that helps!

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2020, 12:04:16 am »
Hey! Sorry for the delayed reply to your Q ;D

It's not exactly 'critical,' plenty of people get B6's in 'poor-performing' cohorts. But it does make it easier if you are around the middle of the pack. You can read more here (https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/), but basically, your cohorts' scores in the exam helps determine how your internal marks will moderate, meaning that if they do poorly in the exam, your internal mark might not be as high as you like, even if you personally do really well in the final exam.

The way to think about it is, if you are in a 'poor-performing' cohort, you just need to work hard to be ranked high in that cohort. To take that to the extreme, if you are ranked first and you also get the highest score in the final exam, it will be like your cohort never existed and you will just get your own mark. All of this is explained better in that link above :) hope that helps!

Thanks for the response!
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

Penguin12121212

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2020, 01:08:49 am »
Hi!
I was wondering about moderation in that I've heard if you come say 5th internally, you will get the 5th HSC exam mark? Say I end up around 5th internally, but I get the 2nd HSC mark in my cohort. Does that mean the 2nd mark goes to the 2nd internally and I get whatever the 5th mark is? Or do I get to keep my 2nd HSC mark?

Not sure if I'm saying this in a way that make sense so for example,
If I get 90 internally, and come 5th, and Bob gets 95 internally and comes 2nd. If I get a 96 in the HSC, which say is the 2nd highest mark in my cohort and Bob gets a 89, will I get to keep that 96 as well as Bob getting his 89 scaled up to that 96? Or do I get some other random mark that was 5th in my cohort because of my internal rank.
Thanks!

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2020, 07:27:28 pm »
+3
Hey there, welcome to the forums!

In an oversimplified way, that is roughly how the ATAR works. More accurately, your internal marks determine your ranks amongst those in your school. NESA then uses those ranks against the range of external marks achieved by your school using some distribution to determine your internal mark. Basically, they match your rank to a corresponding score based on your cohort - it may be higher or lower than your rank's score in the set of marks depending on how skewed your cohort's performance is. This internal mark is then averaged with your actual external mark to provide your HSC mark.

Essentially, you do get to get to keep your 2nd HSC mark, but that'll only make up 50% of your HSC mark, as your external 50%. The other 50% is made up of the internal calculated as above.

Hope this makes sense!
Failing everything, but I'm still Flareon up.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Modern History [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Advanced [87] | Maths Extension 1 [98] | Maths Extension 2 [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - Verbal Reasoning [740] | Decision Making [890] | Quantitative Reasoning [880] | Abstract Reasoning [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)

Lukky333

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2020, 11:07:15 pm »
Ok so to ask my question, I'm going to have to present the situation first (this is hypothetical):
Let's say that you had a horrible internal rank at the end of the year, e.g. 59/60 in a subject. But then at the end of the year, you manage to clutch up and get an awesome external mark in the HSC, where lets say you came first with a mark of 97.
Now I know that your HSC mark is the average of the external and the moderated internal mark that is calculated by changing your original internal score to correspond with the external assessment score of the student in your cohort that had ranked the same in their external as you did in your internal. But to be fair, at the end of the day, you came first in the exam that everyone in the state had to sit. So my question is, can NESA acknowledge this fact and maybe even boost your internal assessment mark (regardless of your rank), especially if the moderated assessment mark that you got was terrible (due to another person's external mark)? Because I reckon that there is such a big difference that is demonstrated in this situation that if you did this you shouldn't be overlooked and should be given some credit.
Thank you!