Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:33:09 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277621 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
+2
Hey,

Just a quick question. I'm updating my post 1945 notes and i've currently got census data for 2011 and 2016. Should I get data from an earlier year or are recent statistics enough?

Thanks!

The 2011 to 2016 statistics are a great set! If you feel like certain statistics aren't 'different' enough or don't quite show what you want them to show, going back one more might be useful? But what you've got works excellently :)

laurenf58

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2017, 12:46:19 pm »
+1
The 2011 to 2016 statistics are a great set! If you feel like certain statistics aren't 'different' enough or don't quite show what you want them to show, going back one more might be useful? But what you've got works excellently :)

Thanks!
2017 HSC || Legal. Business. Studies of Religion 2. English Advanced. Mathematics.

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2017, 06:14:35 pm »
Hi all

I seem to alwasy score close to full marks in the depth study short answers although im stuck at around 15/20 in the essays, any tips on essay writing in religion

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2017, 12:49:54 am »
+2
Hi all

I seem to alwasy score close to full marks in the depth study short answers although im stuck at around 15/20 in the essays, any tips on essay writing in religion

Hey! I wrote a guide on this here, where I also go through the structure I prefer for SOR essays ;D

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2017, 06:20:07 pm »
Hey! I'm dreading memorising a whole bunch of statistics, and I was wondering which were the most important and actually essential knowledge?
so far i have

- anglican vs catholicism over the years
- no religion category over the years
- Pentecostalism over the years ie. the revolving door syndrome

Also, do I need to know the changes over many years or is it okay if i do say 1901 statistics vs 2011 / 2016?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #470 on: July 24, 2017, 05:11:46 pm »
+4
Hey! I'm dreading memorising a whole bunch of statistics, and I was wondering which were the most important and actually essential knowledge?
so far i have

- anglican vs catholicism over the years
- no religion category over the years
- Pentecostalism over the years ie. the revolving door syndrome

Also, do I need to know the changes over many years or is it okay if i do say 1901 statistics vs 2011 / 2016?

From here, I'd try and remember the ranking of the most followed top 6 religions and their percentage of the population, and any specific correlations between migration and stat changes.

I wouldn't bother with 1901 - reason being it's about the current religious landscape and I've noted some notes from the marking centre suggesting the students focus on the newer data as opposed to drawing conclusions over 100 year spans. 2011-2016 will be great for you to know - but obviously you need to look back to other years for things like Anglicanism and Catholicism and what not :) You sound like you're on the right track!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dannoabdelnour

• Adventurer
  • School: Mount Carmel Catholic College
« Reply #471 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:17 pm »
Hello!
Does anybody have a copy of last year's trial hsc exam? Independent or CSSA is fine. Thanks!ß

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:39 am »
+2
Hello!
Does anybody have a copy of last year's trial hsc exam? Independent or CSSA is fine. Thanks!ß

Hey! Both of those papers are subject to copyright restrictions, you won't have any luck finding them online :P unfortunately there aren't a lot of school trials out there either, hard to find practice for SOR besides the HSC papers! :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42:14 am »
Hi All

Does anyone have any good ways if remebering bible quotes for SOR2 essays ?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #474 on: July 27, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »
+2
Hi All

Does anyone have any good ways if remebering bible quotes for SOR2 essays ?

I used the fairly uninspiring method of rote learning! I just wrote out the quotes and their references all the way down a page until I was basically singing it and no longer burning it into my mind.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

1937jk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #475 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
+1
Hey :) Firstly, I really recommend watching a documentary of the Hajj so that you can visually recognise the different steps and place them in order in a way that's not too dissimilar from remembering a narrative. I found that watching Friday Prayer, my practice, was really helpful in allowing me to remember each and every step in some kind of sequential order.

I suppose the most important aspect really depends on your essay question. See, if you were asked about how the Hajj expresses the principal beliefs of the religion, you'll be picking out different aspects than if you were asked about how Hajj contributes to the Muslim community. So in your notes, or just on some scrap paper to help you visualise it, I'd write down each aspect of the Hajj and then jot down: does this express a principal belief? does this emphasise one of the five pillars? What does this do for the individual? What does this do for the community?

This way, you'll identify some aspects of the Hajj that are real powerhouses in terms of your essay - they cover lots of different parts of the syllabus. And you'll come across some elements of the practice that are important for very particular aspects.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help! these are definitely some useful suggestions!

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2017, 04:01:20 pm »
Some religions emphasise justice, whilst others emphasise compassion. How does the statement reflect the diversity of expression within the Christian tradition?

Any suggestions of going about this question? Not sure how to beef out a whole response  :P thanks  :)
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:55 pm »
Some religions emphasise justice, whilst others emphasise compassion. How does the statement reflect the diversity of expression within the Christian tradition?

Any suggestions of going about this question? Not sure how to beef out a whole response  :P thanks  :)
Hey. I have done this exact same essay but for Islam, i basically took the three headings of person, ethics and practice, and split each heading up into justice and then another pargraph on compassion, using quotes and content to support eith er justice or compassion. I can send u it if u like
Mod: Added quote
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:43:31 pm by elysepopplewell »
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #478 on: July 30, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »
+2
Hey. I have done this exact same essay but for Islam, i basically took the three headings of person, ethics and practice, and split each heading up into justice and then another pargraph on compassion, using quotes and content to support eith er justice or compassion. I can send u it if u like
Mod: Added quote
Was this then a 6 paragraph essay? (if so were the paragraphs short?) And because the question asked 'how does the statement reflect the diversity of expression within the Christian religion' did you focus more on the practice because it asks for 'expression'? And with that did you link it, the practice, to the person and then ethics? Or just did them separately?

Sorry for asking so many questions when I didn't ask the question in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:34:33 pm by TheMC »
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #479 on: July 30, 2017, 10:16:00 pm »
+1
Was this then a 6 paragraph essay? (if so were the paragraphs short?) And because the question asked 'how does the statement reflect the diversity of expression within the Christian religion' did you focus more on the practice because it asks for 'expression'? And with that did you link it, the practice, to the person and then ethics? Or just did them separately?

Sorry for asking so many questions when I didn't ask the question in the first place.

Hey.

My Striucture was
Person compassion
Person justice
Ethics compassion
Ethics justice
practice compassion
Practice justice.

With the diveristy of expression, i probbley had a little more on ethics and practice than person purely because there was slightly more to talk about, but i just took that question how within the religion it focuses on both caring and helping adhernts but also placing requirement and distinct guidlelines and actions, which was basically my thesis for the question then expressed how that was shown through the persons contribution and impact and ethics and practice.

Whens your trial?, mines next week
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography