Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:09:27 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151389 times)  Share 

bananna

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2017, 11:43:21 am »
Hi :)
what do you think of "artist of the floating world" by Kazuo Ishiguro as a related text for Sylvia Plath's "Ariel" (ATB) ?
I haven't read it yet, but I know a quick summary. (The teacher marking hasn't read it either)
I can't find much analysis on it on the net, though--I like to reference other perspectives on the text//utilise analysis that I haven't thought of.

what do you think?

chloe9756

• Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2017, 06:37:10 pm »
hey i'm doing atb and want to centre my creative surrounding japan. what are some political, social, religious, philosophical paradigms that i could address?

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:04 pm »
what do you think of "artist of the floating world" by Kazuo Ishiguro as a related text for Sylvia Plath's "Ariel" (ATB) ?
I haven't read it yet, but I know a quick summary. (The teacher marking hasn't read it either)
I can't find much analysis on it on the net, though--I like to reference other perspectives on the text//utilise analysis that I haven't thought of.

what do you think?

Hey i'm not too sure if you can do Ishiguro's Artist because it is in fact a prescribed text for the module  :(

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »

Hey i'm not too sure if you can do Ishiguro's Artist because it is in fact a prescribed text for the module  :(

Oh, I didn't know that.. :/

Thanks for letting me know, though  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:18 am »
Hi! I'm studying Science Fiction this year and I haven't really been able to find a lot of notes from other people on the genre, so I'm a little bit lost on what sort of related texts I should use to link to Bladerunner and Neuromancer (and Dune, but I hopefully won't use that). I've never really been into the Sci-fi genre so I honestly have no idea what sort of texts would relate to these, so if anyone has any ideas that would be great!!

Also I was recommended Fahrenheit-451, but my teacher told me that it would be used A LOT, and I was wondering if that could impact negatively on my results?

Hey Steph,

This is a good question. The way I see it is, if 300 essays come in with the same prescribed text, it's all about what you do with the text rather than what it is. So when you come in with a common related text, it is again, all about what you do with the text. I do wonder if there is a little bit of prejudice in a marker's mind so when they come to a text they haven't seen yet, it feels refreshing. But, bringing in a unique text doesn't guarantee you any kind of marks - you could write about the most obscure text and write awfully. So I don't see it as though you'll automatically be marked down for using a common related text, but perhaps you'd be doing yourself a service by extending and choosing an uncommon text that doesn't have a lot of readings online, so you're forced to come up with something original? But, this is all hypothetical, of course. I don't think I can say you will be definitely disadvantaged. It's all about what you do with it :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2017, 02:14:05 am »

what do you think?

Hey! I think one of the unique things about English is you can analyse all on your own, and you'll take on some really unique ideas that you might not have if you approached the text for the first time with someone else's analysis. But, you can get to a stage where it's difficult to dig deeper without getting ideas to bounce off from other people - so it does make it difficult when you don't know people who have read it, or if you can't find much online about it. I always think it's best to do the initial analysis on your own, and then bounce on other people's ideas to make your analysis richer. So, that's my thoughts, essentially :) Buuuuut, I did my discovery related text without any other available analysis online. So, it is possible! I just enjoy the process more when you can bounce off others :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2017, 02:23:22 am »
hey i'm doing atb and want to centre my creative surrounding japan. what are some political, social, religious, philosophical paradigms that i could address?

Hey! It really depends on exactly when you'd like to focus on. These are some things that come to mind for me when I think of Japan in this time:
-Complete turmoil, heart break, devastation
-Ongoing health effects
-A city, but also, a country, and also, a culture, trying to rebuild themselves from rubble.
-The shift into anti-nuclear campaigns post bomb, but still amidst the Cold War
-A very long standing traditional country, destroyed by modern technology.
-Global interactions, Japan and other countries at this time.
-Shinto, I believe, is the main religion in Japan.

I'd select a decade your most interested in and find a google summary of it, that way you can pin down the precise details you'll need to write a great creative :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
I've decided on reading Hiroshima by John Hersey as a related text for Plath.
Does that sound okay?
Just wondering, how would I analyse a non-fiction text?
What sort of techniques should I be looking for before reading it?
Thank you!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2017, 01:44:26 am »
I've decided on reading Hiroshima by John Hersey as a related text for Plath.
Does that sound okay?
Just wondering, how would I analyse a non-fiction text?
What sort of techniques should I be looking for before reading it?
Thank you!

Hey! Sounds good to me :)

I'd be looking at emotive language, elements of recounting (are each of the reflections in sequential order or do they flash back and forth), rhetorical questions, quotations, the formality of the language, imagery, tone...

Essentially, I would be looking at language form (syntax, paragraph structure) as the initial reading, and then look into the techniques of dialogue (I believe your book is 6 or so recounts?) and then anything else we usually look for in fiction may be prevalent too, like imagery, similes, etc.

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2017, 07:33:54 am »
Hey! Sounds good to me :)

I'd be looking at emotive language, elements of recounting (are each of the reflections in sequential order or do they flash back and forth), rhetorical questions, quotations, the formality of the language, imagery, tone...

Essentially, I would be looking at language form (syntax, paragraph structure) as the initial reading, and then look into the techniques of dialogue (I believe your book is 6 or so recounts?) and then anything else we usually look for in fiction may be prevalent too, like imagery, similes, etc.

awesome, thank you :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2017, 06:51:39 am »
Hi
can I use John Hersey's Hiroshima as a related text for Ways of Thinking After the Bomb?
I think its a prescribed text for the module  :-\
but I'm not completely sure...how do you check?
please let me know if its suitable
thanks,
bananna

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2017, 08:26:29 am »
Hi
can I use John Hersey's Hiroshima as a related text for Ways of Thinking After the Bomb?
I think its a prescribed text for the module  :-\
but I'm not completely sure...how do you check?
please let me know if its suitable
thanks,
bananna
Hello :)
Here is the document with the prescribed texts, move down to page 31 to see Ways of Thinking.

This is what the BOSTES FAQ says..."Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned." The link to that document is here. However, I would ask your teacher what he or she thinks about this, because it is a prescribed text from the module you are studying. It's not like you're studying Discovery and chose a related text from the Module C prescribed list, yknow? I don't want to spread misinformation, so I'd ask your teacher for their opinion.

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2017, 06:27:13 pm »
I only just saw that you replied to this, but thank you! I decided to go with Fahrenheit, just because I read it and really liked it, and it linked in well with my other related texts (which are less common haha), but thank you! (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »
Hello :)
Here is the document with the prescribed texts, move down to page 31 to see Ways of Thinking.

This is what the BOSTES FAQ says..."Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned." The link to that document is here. However, I would ask your teacher what he or she thinks about this, because it is a prescribed text from the module you are studying. It's not like you're studying Discovery and chose a related text from the Module C prescribed list, yknow? I don't want to spread misinformation, so I'd ask your teacher for their opinion.

Thank you! I'll ask my teacher and post what she says :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2017, 01:37:57 am »
Thank you! I'll ask my teacher and post what she says :)

Let me know! I'd be keen to know what she says, because this question does get asked a fair bit and it's a bit of a grey area.

I only just saw that you replied to this, but thank you! I decided to go with Fahrenheit, just because I read it and really liked it, and it linked in well with my other related texts (which are less common haha), but thank you! (:

Yay! Good for you. I'm excited to hear how you go with it :)