Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 19, 2020, 07:54:21 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 66746 times)  Share 

Stephanie2020

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
Hello :)

I have an assignment on Worlds of Upheaval, with a choice between Metropolis and Frankenstein, and a related text. I'm having a little bit of difficulty on choosing the element of upheaval, but how would you recommend structuring an essay for this topic?

Thank you very much  :)

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Trendsetter
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +71
« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2020, 05:47:59 pm »
Hi Stephanie!

I can definitely help if you would like! =
2020 QCE: Biology, English, General Mathematics, Literature and Modern History.

Inspirational Quote: "Flowers grow back, even after they're stepped on. So will I"

Come and Find Me:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/user/celestial-

Joelle F-J

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2020, 05:15:19 pm »
Hello! Do you by any chance have some suggestions for The Left Hand of Darkness related texts? (no films, as I am doing Pan's Labyrinth as well)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +910
« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2020, 02:43:24 pm »
+3
Hello! Do you by any chance have some suggestions for The Left Hand of Darkness related texts? (no films, as I am doing Pan's Labyrinth as well)

Hey, Joelle F-J!

Definitely got yourself a challenge there with that pair of prescribed texts for finding related texts but it's not impossible  ;D I have previously recommended Shirley Jackson's The Lottery and any of the short stories from Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber for people doing Re-Imagined Worlds so you might want to check those out! Some poems that I think will also work well with The Left Hand of Darkness include Christina Rossetti's Goblin Market and any of the poems from Margaret Rhee's Love, Robot.

There are also some wonderful contemporary short films like Lily Darragh Harty's The Fringes or Catherine Bonny's Colony that might allow for some great connections to be drawn with your prescribed text too but do check if your teacher recommends it since they are technically the same medium as Pan's Labyrinth. I've linked them below for you to have a look at!

Hope they help in some way and let us know what you end up deciding to go with!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Forum Regular
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2020, 12:03:08 pm »
Is it inadvisable to memorise an essay for the new syllabus? I wasn't initially going to memorise an essay, but having written practise responses in preparation for Trials and now HSC it seems all my responses follow essentially the same structure, so memorising an essay would probably allow me to capitalise on that fact. The only reason I'm debating this is because my teacher advised against it, saying that the new syllabus can be extremely specific in questions and so it may be hard to adapt a pre-prepared essay. Note this was only for Advanced though, so I'm not sure how it differs for Extension.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +910
« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:11 pm »
+2
Is it inadvisable to memorise an essay for the new syllabus? I wasn't initially going to memorise an essay, but having written practise responses in preparation for Trials and now HSC it seems all my responses follow essentially the same structure, so memorising an essay would probably allow me to capitalise on that fact. The only reason I'm debating this is because my teacher advised against it, saying that the new syllabus can be extremely specific in questions and so it may be hard to adapt a pre-prepared essay. Note this was only for Advanced though, so I'm not sure how it differs for Extension.

Hey, BakerDad12!

If memorising an essay will help you feel more prepared for the exam itself, I would say go for it! There's really no harm to it as long as you're not solely relying on that to get you by in the HSC exam  :) However, I'm more in agreement with your teacher because it is much more worthy of your time to spend it on practising responses and gaining more confidence in responding to questions on the spot than it is to memorise an essay. Even if you end up writing similar things in all your responses, you have already learnt to keep each new question and its key words at the forefront of your mind when addressing it in the essay. If you memorise an essay and go into the exam with that, you will likely end up regurgitating it word for word because you're tempted to. It is a lot harder to adapt a pre-prepared response than it is to write an original one that actually answers the question. Extension I is just as unpredictable as Advanced, if not potentially more so, and I would definitely advise you to invest in deepening your knowledge of the texts, having backup themes and quotes in mind ready to use if the questions are more challenging and exposing yourself to different types of questions you might get asked in the HSC  :D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music