Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:50:38 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1236507 times)

left right gn

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #2445 on: July 25, 2017, 08:18:18 pm »
In Brave New World, why did John suicide?

Is it guilt? Or is there more to it

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #2446 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
+1
For those studying or who have studied Sonnets from the Portuguese, did you memorise the Sonnet number for each quote? Or is it not such a big deal?

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #2447 on: July 25, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
Personally, I thought it was really good. Nice topic sentence, good fleshing out of the thematic concept, you have a nice dose of context and a relevant analysis (although, if comfortable, maybe you can add a bit more).

Be careful not to be overly verbose but other than that, well done.

Thank you so much for your help! It's a relief to know other people don't think it sucks completely haha

Disney

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2448 on: July 25, 2017, 09:51:54 pm »
Hey!
I've got my trial exams coming up on Monday. I've been trying to be as proactive as possible to this point with my English studies but somehow I've gotten until now without having any clue how to prepare for Monday and Tuesday's Paper 1 and 2 exams.  :-[
So, what do you recommend I do? Here's what I do have done in preparation:

-   Discovery creative characters, overarching concepts of discovery to add in and start (crucially not end) of plot thought of and happy with

-   Module B analysis partly underway: unsure of whether I should go down the path of quote memorisation (have a bank of about 50 quotes, with about 20/25 analysed properly with connections to themes so far) OR the path of essay memorisation to get the themes down.

-   Discovery essay quotes and content sorted (mostly, refinement needed) but no essays written yet

-  Module A analysis is lacking, I have quotes but not enough for a response, nor do I know which path again to take. Contextual information IS at hand though, but not learnt to memory.

-   Module C has two themes down pat, did my latest assessment on this but didn't have a third solid theme so need to address this. ORT for ModC was year 11 text so analysis in Power AOS context is around.

-   Short Answer practice has been minimal (in comparison to what I know it should be). Should I work more on trying to do past papers or focus on learning literary and visual techniques first?

I have a music exam on Monday as well as Paper 1 which is fairly planned for, the next exams after English are Maths on Thursday and Software on Friday next week: I'm willing to put as much effort/time as I can into English but where to BEGIN preparation at this stage is my issue.

I have the ATARNotes Advanced book and I attended Emily's lecture a few weeks ago!

Thanks so much for any reply  :)

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #2449 on: July 25, 2017, 10:38:20 pm »
+2
Hey!
I've got my trial exams coming up on Monday. I've been trying to be as proactive as possible to this point with my English studies but somehow I've gotten until now without having any clue how to prepare for Monday and Tuesday's Paper 1 and 2 exams.  :-[
So, what do you recommend I do? Here's what I do have done in preparation:

-   Discovery creative characters, overarching concepts of discovery to add in and start (crucially not end) of plot thought of and happy with

-   Module B analysis partly underway: unsure of whether I should go down the path of quote memorisation (have a bank of about 50 quotes, with about 20/25 analysed properly with connections to themes so far) OR the path of essay memorisation to get the themes down.

-   Discovery essay quotes and content sorted (mostly, refinement needed) but no essays written yet

-  Module A analysis is lacking, I have quotes but not enough for a response, nor do I know which path again to take. Contextual information IS at hand though, but not learnt to memory.

-   Module C has two themes down pat, did my latest assessment on this but didn't have a third solid theme so need to address this. ORT for ModC was year 11 text so analysis in Power AOS context is around.

-   Short Answer practice has been minimal (in comparison to what I know it should be). Should I work more on trying to do past papers or focus on learning literary and visual techniques first?

I have a music exam on Monday as well as Paper 1 which is fairly planned for, the next exams after English are Maths on Thursday and Software on Friday next week: I'm willing to put as much effort/time as I can into English but where to BEGIN preparation at this stage is my issue.

I have the ATARNotes Advanced book and I attended Emily's lecture a few weeks ago!

Thanks so much for any reply  :)

Don't feel bad, you've got quite a lot of stuff done which will help with your study for the next few days.

In regards to learning for English, everyone's different. I for example would not memorise a Module B essay because the questions can be quite varied. However, I'd have a few skeleton plans that could be adopted to different questions. Just make sure you've developed an insightful understanding of the text as a whole (textual integrity and all that).

To memorise stuff like Module A analysis I'm finding it helpful to do practice essays but not ones I'd memorise word for word. At first I did this through my prior assessment task for the unit which scored well which I had in a word document. I then came up with a few more thesis ideas and tried to integrate my current quotes and analysis with some other ones I had written down. If you don't have an essay already try take an hour or two to make a really good one in a word document and then work on refining the analysis.

As for short answer questions I'm fortunate enough to have most of the techniques down from last year (don't know how I remember them to be honest). But I'd be sure to revise them before attempting the practice questions as there's so many that could be used. If your weakness for example is visual techniques then focus on that before jumping into questions.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2450 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:38 am »
+1
How do you answer specific essay questions about one idea relating to a text- how do you write more than one paragraph since each paragraph is a new idea? Thanks :)

Hey! The job is to adapt the idea slightly - Maybe explore the different impacts of the idea, or different perspectives on it? Say, for an essay on ambition, you could explore how ambition could be good, how it could be bad, etc? Slight variation is all you need ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2451 on: July 26, 2017, 12:50:41 am »
+1
In Brave New World, why did John suicide?

Is it guilt? Or is there more to it

Hey! You can analyse John's suicide in a huge amount of depth if you choose - I personally think it is about hopelessness. Huxley uses it to communicate the ultimate demise of individual humanity at the hands of conformity and the collective good, the sheer hopelessness of basic primal emotion in a world of manufactured happiness. There are a heap of layers to it ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2452 on: July 26, 2017, 12:52:18 am »
+1
Heyy
So I've got this assignment that I'm totally freaking out about simply because I don't feel like I know much about this module! It's been super hectic lately and I didn't get to read the text (Art of Travel) which I know is so terrible but I don't think I'll have time to and I don't know what to do! On top of my own confusion, my teacher has just changed and the new teacher decided to alter the assignment so I'm just not sure what I'm doing and I'm stressinggg  :-\

I don't know if anyone here will be able to help me but I definitely wanted to seek help so I thought it was worth posting. I'll attach the alterations of the assignment and my plan of what I might want to do. (I don't have a soft copy of the original assessment sheet but the document I'm attaching outlines the task)

If no one is able to help out, I totally understand because it is a big ask. Thank you for reading this either way :)

Hey! I'm going to move this to the marking thread, you've got enough posts for feedback so we'll add it to the list! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2453 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:45 am »
+2
Hey!
So, what do you recommend I do?

Hey Disney!! This guide might be of relevance for you! ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2454 on: July 26, 2017, 09:42:43 am »
I was wondering would this be classified as a perspective?
Sagan's personal perspective explores his desire for advancement of space research and the desire for those on Earth to look after the Earth.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2455 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:03 am »
I was wondering would this be classified as a perspective?
Sagan's personal perspective explores his desire for advancement of space research and the desire for those on Earth to look after the Earth.

Hey anotherworld!
I don't know that a perspective necessarily does the exploring - but his perspective admires advancement of space research and he desires a greater care for Earth, because his perspective is that the Earth is a valuable yet vulnerable resource.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2456 on: July 26, 2017, 11:33:38 am »
Hey!!

I'm writing notes for Module B, my elective was the seven speeches (sadat, keating, pearson, deane, atwood, lesing, brooks). I write my notes as an analysis grid, with quote/technique/analysis. I'm trying to now organise my notes according to themes, so that I have ease in writing my essay, e.g for sadat is peace, war, unity etc..

So basically, I've been having trouble identifying themes in all of the speeches, and I was wondering if anyone could help?? How do I pick a theme, and how do I pick themes that i can find as commonalities between essays. Or is there another way I can organise my notes?

Any help would be appreciated a lot!!! Thank you very much.
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2457 on: July 26, 2017, 02:24:44 pm »
Hi for my mod B we are studying speeches and im really struggling to find links between Brooks and Attwoods speech in regards of writing a flexible essay. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance :))

I also was wondering if i will get marked down if for module c i do 1984 as my related text even though it is a prescribed for mod a? Thank you

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:32:23 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2458 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »
+1

I also was wondering if i will get marked down if for module c i do 1984 as my related text even though it is a prescribed for mod a? Thank you

You will certainly not get marked down for this :)
Hey!!

I'm writing notes for Module B, my elective was the seven speeches (sadat, keating, pearson, deane, atwood, lesing, brooks). I write my notes as an analysis grid, with quote/technique/analysis. I'm trying to now organise my notes according to themes, so that I have ease in writing my essay, e.g for sadat is peace, war, unity etc..

So basically, I've been having trouble identifying themes in all of the speeches, and I was wondering if anyone could help?? How do I pick a theme, and how do I pick themes that i can find as commonalities between essays. Or is there another way I can organise my notes?

Any help would be appreciated a lot!!! Thank you very much.
Hi for my mod B we are studying speeches and im really struggling to find links between Brooks and Attwoods speech in regards of writing a flexible essay. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance :))

I didn't study speeches, but I hope I can be a little bit helpful anyway. I studied poetry for Module B, so I had a similar task of trying to make connections between multiple texts. One that always worked for me was the theme of tension. Tension between peace and war, tension between yearning and possessing, tension between rights and oppression, so on and so on. Tension for me work pretty flawlessly across the board so maybe it's an idea for you to pursue as well!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2459 on: July 26, 2017, 04:53:36 pm »
Hey i was wondering how i can study for Module A for trials? I'm doing Richard III and Looking for richard