Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 15, 2020, 05:20:29 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 669114 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +882
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4635 on: July 05, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »
+3
Thank you very much for your help :) just one more thing - for Mod B We're doing Eliot - just wondering if the question doesn't specify how many poems would you write on and would you integrate the paragraphs with the different poems?

Hey again!

Great question! You should work with either two or three poems; there's no "better" option because it depends on more how you choose to structure it. If you want to go for a non-integrated approach, you would structure it like this. Most students who do T.S Eliot work with this structure.

Structure 1
Introduction
Body 1- Theme 1, Poem 1
Body 2- Theme 2, Poem 2
Body 3- Theme 3, Poem 3
Conclusion

However, if you want to go with an integrated approach, you could have it something similar to this. This allows more synthesis and comparison to be facilitated between the texts within the paragraph.

Structure 2
Introduction
Body 1- Theme 1, Poem 1 + Poem 2
Body 2- Theme 2, Poem 2 + Poem 3
Body 3- Theme 3, Poem 1+ Poem 3
Conclusion

Alternatively, you could also go with a semi-integrated structure with four paragraphs instead. With this structure, you only need two themes to make it work. With this, you're still comparing the texts with one another under shared arguments but allowing for independent analysis to be conducted.

Structure 3
Introduction
Body 1- Theme 1, Poem 1
Body 2- Theme 1, Poem 2
Body 3- Theme 2. Poem 1
Body 4- Theme 2, Poem 2
Conclusion

I have used all three of these structures myself in my HSC and found them all effective in their own way. I personally would recommend the semi-integrated structure because it found it more manageable under exam conditions. I could really develop my two arguments with those themes and ensure both of my texts were being equally discussed and linked to one another. You can always adapt your structure to the question, especially if they specify a poem or how many poems you need to use. Try them out in your Trials practice and study to see what works best for you  :D Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

SIP0002

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4636 on: July 14, 2020, 12:32:27 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if I could send you some of my writing pieces and then you can edit it and give me tips on how I can improve.

This would be much appreciated. Thanks.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4637 on: July 15, 2020, 04:19:53 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if I could send you some of my writing pieces and then you can edit it and give me tips on how I can improve.

This would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, SIP0002!

Welcome to the forums! I am in a bit of a busy period with work so I'll have to very kindly decline. However, you definitely could post anything you want to be marked to the HSC Marking and Feedback Thread  :D Apologies that I couldn't be of more help but if you do have any more general questions about English Advanced, feel free to ask here in this space!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Coolmate

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 🔥Goodluck w/ HSC Trials Everyone!
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #4638 on: July 29, 2020, 01:23:03 pm »
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone had advice on writing clear, concise and sophisticated introductions and what differentiates a Band 5 introduction from a Band 6 introduction?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)
                                                    🤯HSC 2020:🤯

🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁                                                          💬Quote A Day With Coolmate💬
Aim: 90+ ATAR

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Trendsetter
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #4639 on: July 29, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
+3
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone had advice on writing clear, concise and sophisticated introductions and what differentiates a Band 5 introduction from a Band 6 introduction?

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)

Hey Coolmate,

As much as I would love to help you, I don't really have enough expertise/knowledge of the HSC English Advanced subject to give you a solid and definite answer to your question as I'm a QCE student. But I would be more than happy to provide some links below which I think can help you with structuring an effective HSC essay introduction, below:

https://artofsmart.com.au/band-6-hsc-english-essay/
https://artofsmart.com.au/hsc-english-essay-thesis/

Sorry that this answer isn't as in-depth as my answers usually are but hopefully, these articles can help you just a little bit. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns as I would be more than happy to help with proofreading, editing or providing feedback for your essay.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
2020 QCE: Biology, English, General Mathematics, Literature and Modern History.

Inspirational Quote: "Flowers grow back, even after they're stepped on. So will I"

Come and Find Me:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/user/celestial-

Coolmate

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4640 on: July 29, 2020, 07:06:40 pm »
+2
Hey Coolmate,

As much as I would love to help you, I don't really have enough expertise/knowledge of the HSC English Advanced subject to give you a solid and definite answer to your question as I'm a QCE student. But I would be more than happy to provide some links below which I think can help you with structuring an effective HSC essay introduction, below:

https://artofsmart.com.au/band-6-hsc-english-essay/
https://artofsmart.com.au/hsc-english-essay-thesis/

Sorry that this answer isn't as in-depth as my answers usually are but hopefully, these articles can help you just a little bit. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns as I would be more than happy to help with proofreading, editing or providing feedback for your essay.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Hey s110820!

Thanks for your help, I will definitely check these resources out :)

Coolmate 8)

🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁                                                          💬Quote A Day With Coolmate💬

svnflower

• Adventurer
« Reply #4641 on: July 31, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »
Hello :)

Which words, apart from "ultimately" and "thus", are good to use for linking sentences at the end of a paragraph?

Coolmate

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4642 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
+4
Hello :)

Which words, apart from "ultimately" and "thus", are good to use for linking sentences at the end of a paragraph?

Hey svnflower,

Great question!
I would suggest the following words for "Ultimately":
✔Consequently
✔As a result
✔It is thereby evident that.....**Insert Text Here**

And the following for "Thus":
✔Therefore
✔Evidently
✔Clearly
✔Hence

When finding synonyms I like to use: https://www.thesaurus.com/

I hope this helps and goodluck with Trials! ;)
Coolmate 8)

mrsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #4643 on: August 01, 2020, 12:41:28 am »
Hey just needed help identifying two main stylistic features of Nam le's Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and
Compassion and Sacrifice for my Module C reflection. So far I've only mentioned the use of a first-person narrative voice.

svnflower

• Adventurer
« Reply #4644 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:30 am »
+1
Hey svnflower,

Great question!
I would suggest the following words for "Ultimately":
✔Consequently
✔As a result
✔It is thereby evident that.....**Insert Text Here**

And the following for "Thus":
✔Therefore
✔Evidently
✔Clearly
✔Hence

When finding synonyms I like to use: https://www.thesaurus.com/

I hope this helps and goodluck with Trials! ;)
Coolmate 8)

Thankyou! Hope your trials run smooth too!  :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4645 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:46 pm »
+2
Hey just needed help identifying two main stylistic features of Nam le's Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and
Compassion and Sacrifice for my Module C reflection. So far I've only mentioned the use of a first-person narrative voice.

Hey, mrsc!

There's plenty to talk about with Nam Le for Module C  :D Some of the defining form features of the prescribed text include the use of anecdote, incorporation of foreign language and the role of dialogue in forwarding narrative purposes.

In writing your reflection, you want to justify how you have been stylistically influenced by the prescribed text. For example, you might discuss how you also used anecdote from the perspective of an imagined speaker to enable them to reflect personally on a significant event. You could also highlight where you have deviated from the prescribed text's reasons for using that stylistic feature. An instance could be incorporating foreign language to ultimately reveal the barriers that it creates in communication between two characters in your creative piece, rather than to illustrate its capacity to unite people culturally. It all comes down to your purpose as a writer and what your response intends to evoke in the reader, having been influenced by Le  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Coolmate

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4646 on: August 02, 2020, 01:01:47 pm »
+1
Thankyou! Hope your trials run smooth too!  :)

That's ok and thankyou! :)

Coolmate

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4647 on: August 09, 2020, 08:08:17 pm »
Hey Everyone, :)

This might sound like a cliched question, but how many quotes should we put in an essay. Currently, I am planning on putting 11 into each essay for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 (that are integrated). Is this enough?

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4648 on: August 09, 2020, 08:35:18 pm »
+3
Hey Everyone, :)

This might sound like a cliched question, but how many quotes should we put in an essay. Currently, I am planning on putting 11 into each essay for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 (that are integrated). Is this enough?

Thanks!
Coolmate 8)

Hey, Coolmate!

A cliche it may be but an important question nevertheless! I usually recommend at minimum 3 quotes and at maximum 5 quotes, so 4 is a nice number to work with. This is particularly the case with integrated essays which I've illustrated below with two different structures you might use!

STRUCTURE 1
   Introduction
   Body 1- Theme 1
o   Text 1+Text 2 (4 quotes; 2 quotes per text)
   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 2 (4 quotes)
   Body 3- Theme 3
   Conclusion

STRUCTURE 2
   Introduction
   Body 1- Theme 1
   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 3 (4 quotes)
   Body 3- Theme 3
o   Text 2+Text 3 (4 quotes)
   Conclusion

It ultimately doesn't matter whether you use 3, 4, 5 or even 6 quotes per paragraph. What's important is that you analyse them effectively using techniques and constructing a convincing direction of argument with those examples. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Coolmate

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4649 on: August 10, 2020, 08:35:33 am »
+1
Hey, Coolmate!

A cliche it may be but an important question nevertheless! I usually recommend at minimum 3 quotes and at maximum 5 quotes, so 4 is a nice number to work with. This is particularly the case with integrated essays which I've illustrated below with two different structures you might use!

STRUCTURE 1
   Introduction
   Body 1- Theme 1
   Body 2- Theme 2
   Body 3- Theme 3
   Conclusion

STRUCTURE 2
   Introduction
   Body 1- Theme 1
   Body 2- Theme 2
o   Text 1+Text 3 (4 quotes)
   Body 3- Theme 3
o   Text 2+Text 3 (4 quotes)
   Conclusion

It ultimately doesn't matter whether you use 3, 4, 5 or even 6 quotes per paragraph. What's important is that you analyse them effectively using techniques and constructing a convincing direction of argument with those examples. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks Angelina for the help! I really appreciate it ;D

Coolmate 8)