Last Minute Offer: FREE Complete Course Notes for all subjects you enrol in for TuteSmart 2019. Book free info appointment here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

January 24, 2019, 10:19:41 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 425250 times)

angewina_naguen

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +229
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4260 on: January 10, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »
+1
Hi!
I attended one of Emily Tyrrell's lectures for Advanced English and one of the theses she had was: "The tension between the individual and the community at large is better understood through its depiction in text". What does this thesis want us to address particularly the "depiction in text" bit?
Many thanks!!

Hey, Cherre Ho!

Was this a thesis or an essay question because this is something I might need you to clarify? From what I understand, if this was a thesis for an essay, it aims to explore how tense individual and community relationships are depicted in texts. Although I've just reworded it for now, I believe it should be addressing how personal and collective motivations, values and actions may be cause strained relationships and the best way this can be understood is through the "depiction in text." This would refer to the way it has been represented (depicted in a particular way) as a phenomenon in the human experience through the use of language conventions, forms and features. Perhaps Emily could confirm what she meant since I wasn't at the lecture but this is what I gathered from it  :)

-HSC 2018-
| Advanced English (94) | Extension 1 English (48) | Extension 2 English (46) | Music 2 (83) | Visual Arts (93) | Society and Culture (93) | Modern History (89) |

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

r1ckworthy

• Adventurer
  • meh.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4261 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:21 pm »
+1
Hello everybody,
Recently attended Emily's lecture for advanced english. It was GREAT.
Right now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not too sure how to approach studying for the common module.
My prescribed text is Rosemary Dobson's poetry (7 poems in total). How do I study these poems and gain a full understanding of them? I have tried to write essays but I felt as if I was falling short, and needed to analyse these poems in depth. My question is: What is your approach for analysing poems? I wasted the entire day trying to fit the poems into the syllabus, but to no result.
HSC 2019: English Advanced, Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1, Physics, Chemistry, Science Extension, Ancient History

jamonwindeyer

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Electrical Engineer by day, AN Enthusiast by Night
  • Respect: +2678
« Reply #4262 on: January 10, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
+2
Hello everybody,
Right now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not too sure how to approach studying for the common module.
My prescribed text is Rosemary Dobson's poetry (7 poems in total). How do I study these poems and gain a full understanding of them? I have tried to write essays but I felt as if I was falling short, and needed to analyse these poems in depth. My question is: What is your approach for analysing poems? I wasted the entire day trying to fit the poems into the syllabus, but to no result.

Hello! So glad you enjoyed Em's lecture today! ;D

I would start by identifying the techniques/quotes that stand out in the poem. Spot where the author has done something deliberately technical, or dramatic, or whatever. Once you have those, try and figure out why they did them. What were they trying to show? Then try and group them into big over-arching themes or categories, which should hopefully be able to be tied to the rubric/syllabus in some way. I know you had some trouble initially, but once you are considering the 'WHY' instead of the 'WHAT' it might be easier to link ;D

You don't need to be able to write an essay on each poem. Basically, you want a decent amount of knowledge on each that can summate to a killer, well rounded essay. Even being able to write a really good paragraph on each poem, explaining how it represents something about the human experience, would be an amazing position to be in ;D

Good luck! And be sure to stop in if you need help analysing the poems ;D

angewina_naguen

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +229
« Reply #4263 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
+2
Hello everybody,

Hey, r1ckworthy!

I agree with Jamon's advice for how you should approach the poems. I did poetry for one of my modules as well during the HSC and I approached it basically like that. In terms of gaining a fuller understanding of them, I would suggest arranging your ideas into tables and/or Venn diagrams. See if you can identify where themes may overlap across poems and where similarities and differences manifest. This can enable you to synthesise your ideas and gain a more holistic overview of Dobson's poetry. If you are struggling to analyse them in-depth, this could be a good starting point to put all your thoughts in one place and then organise them into potential essay arguments. Once you have arranged all your ideas, you will find that linking them to the syllabus will be easier  8)

Another suggestion I could offer would be to read the poems aloud a few times. Poetry is a more of a stimulative, listening experience and you might be able to pick up a few techniques that were not as obviously presented on the page. Dobson's voice and construction of persona is crucial to her writing. Being able to truly realise that comes with reading the poem. Techniques such as rhythm, assonance and meter will also be more apparent if you hear it.

Hope that helps! Rather than jumping straight into writing essays, try to figure out the significance of the poems and the aspects of the human experience represented in them. You will have a better foundation to work with that way  ;D As Jamon said, feel free to ask if you need any help with analysing the poems  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:30:40 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-
| Advanced English (94) | Extension 1 English (48) | Extension 2 English (46) | Music 2 (83) | Visual Arts (93) | Society and Culture (93) | Modern History (89) |

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

raghav_singh

• Adventurer
« Reply #4264 on: January 12, 2019, 11:11:29 am »
Hi so my related text that I have chosen for human experiences is Life of Pi. Does it really matter if I do the film or the novel. I was leaning towards doing the film, because my prescribed is 1984 and I felt that it would be more time efficient to do the film

dancing phalanges

• MOTM: JUL 17
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #4265 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28:06 am »
+3
Hi so my related text that I have chosen for human experiences is Life of Pi. Does it really matter if I do the film or the novel. I was leaning towards doing the film, because my prescribed is 1984 and I felt that it would be more time efficient to do the film

Hey! So I've been told that doing different mediums (film and text for e.g.) is better than both the PT and ORT being the same so that should work fine! Plus - Life of Pi (the film) is full of rich imagery and the filmmaking is very strong. Regardless, you can still use quotes from it as it is a film! So don't worry too much I'm sure that'll work fine :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

emilyyyyyyy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4266 on: January 12, 2019, 06:44:42 pm »
Hi!

Do we need to know a related text for the HSC exam (human experiences)? If we do, would we be writing a comparative essay or something else?

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #4267 on: January 12, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »
Hi!

Do we need to know a related text for the HSC exam (human experiences)? If we do, would we be writing a comparative essay or something else?

Hi there!

From what I have read  no. You won't need a related text for the Common Module exam, only for internal assessments. In the example paper NESA posted, they never asked for a related text in the essay questions.

Hope this helps!
Darcy :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

emilyyyyyyy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4268 on: January 13, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
hi!

i'm horrible at creative writing and i'm dreading doing it for the hsc... the whole making it up on the spot in 40 mins and everything. does anyone have any tips for becoming better at creative writing, or how to write a good story on the spot?

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4269 on: January 13, 2019, 10:39:16 pm »
+1
hi!

i'm horrible at creative writing and i'm dreading doing it for the hsc... the whole making it up on the spot in 40 mins and everything. does anyone have any tips for becoming better at creative writing, or how to write a good story on the spot?

Hey Emily!

What I would say to you first is do not worry! Pretty much everyone is in the same boat! No one can write a perfect, descriptive masterpiece in 40 minutes. What is most important is that you nail the rubric dot points or what is being asked in the question. So having a central idea is key and don't overthink it too much as you only want to be writing what is comfortable for you!

As to what I did - what I would say is look at past papers or even just random images online and see what you can write off that! It doesn't have to be coherent sentences per say - just see if you can come up with an idea for a story, perhaps with an overarching theme or concept relating to a question relevant to what you are studying.

For example, if the prompt is an image of a boy staring into a telescope - your idea could be wonder or the story could be about finding something that is lost.

I would also say - write about something that interests you or you are familiar with! It will come WAY more naturally then if you force yourself to write something you aren't comfortable with (trust me I can tell you that having studied Romanticism with all their fancy words and old-time language).

Finally - don't stress! You have all year to get better! No one is perfect at the start of the year, just start off by giving yourself prompts - be it quotes, images, paintings and challenge yourself to think creatively. From there, when you have the idea/concept of your story, think about what use your characters have... are they just there for the point of it or will you use their story to tell the idea/concept you have. Then map out complications - ones which may help to show how your character grows or overcomes issues. Just some ideas!

A bit of rambling but hope that helps you :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:45:23 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

elewisdando

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4270 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:24 pm »
Hey!
How long should our notes for the common module be? I've never done quote tables before and I usually just did practice essays so I don't really know how they're meant to be structured.
Thanks so much ;D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4271 on: January 13, 2019, 10:53:36 pm »
+3
Hey!
How long should our notes for the common module be? I've never done quote tables before and I usually just did practice essays so I don't really know how they're meant to be structured.
Thanks so much ;D

Hi!

I've attached two ways I structured my quote tables during the HSC. It is completely up to personal preference and depends how confident you are with the material!

At the start of the year though, when you are still learning, I would say pick out key themes in your text or module. Then under each theme, have one column for the quote, one for who said it (in case you need it - quite an easy column to remember at least) and then a short one sentence explanation of the link you are making between the quote and theme since you may still be unsure about the content.

I found this really helpful in my HSC as it made linking ideas to quotes much simpler to understand!

Hopefully that helps :)

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +680
« Reply #4272 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:36 am »
+1
Hey!
Thanks so much ;D
Hey there,

Like dancing phalanges said, it's completely up to you on how you set up a quotes table!

When I made mine, I divided my notes by chapter or act and set up three columns for my table: technique, quote, analysis. This was a simple set up but enough for me to find the quotes I needed. Whenever I was writing a practice essay, I would always refer to it. Once I became comfortable with the text, I found myself using the same quotes over and over again. That's when I made a quotes sheet, which is a summarised version of my quotes table. It was a quick and easy way for me to do last minute cramming since it was just a sheet of quotes, along with some key words in relation to my thesis/topic sentences.

I've attached my quotes table and a quotes sheet to give you an idea on how I set up my notes.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Visit my studygram @studywithlivia for some study motivation!

nishta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4273 on: January 17, 2019, 12:27:35 pm »
Hey all,

For Paper 2 Mod C, can we write a creative based on the common module? It doesn't look that way from what I've gleaned from the sample paper and syllabus, but I heard somewhere that we could.

Thanks!
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

jamonwindeyer

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Electrical Engineer by day, AN Enthusiast by Night
  • Respect: +2678
« Reply #4274 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:20 pm »
Hey all,

For Paper 2 Mod C, can we write a creative based on the common module? It doesn't look that way from what I've gleaned from the sample paper and syllabus, but I heard somewhere that we could.

Thanks!

Hello! So in the sample exam provided by NESA, no, you couldn't - Because they require one from Modules A-C. However, I can't find anything to suggest they couldn't allow it in the actual exam this year. The module is designed to teach you about the craft of creative writing in the context of the rest of your English study - That would logically include the common module! But I'm not totally sure, if I'm being honest - I can't find anything that says no ;D