HSC TuteSmart: limited places remaining - Click here. | VCE TuteSmart: access Early Bird Offer (FREE Study Guides) - Click here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

December 17, 2018, 06:42:39 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 407657 times)

sstsuki

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4245 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:44 pm »
Hey guys! I was just wondering if they specify poems/sonnets, would they give us an extract to work with?
Thanks!!

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • *Click* noice
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4246 on: October 18, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »
Hey guys, whats the odds on a gender question for hamlet, i have a feeling its gonnna come up and im not prepared, moreover can someone like send me the type of gender question they could ask like how it would be worded or something so i could maybe practice... THANKS

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4247 on: October 18, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »
Heyy what technique would you give this

“It was even conceivable that they watched everybody at all time”

Thank you

GoboTheAlien

• Adventurer
« Reply #4248 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:44 pm »
WAIT HANG ON
For paper 2, mod A Joyce and Heaney, do you use 2 Joyce stories and 2 poems.... or just one of each ?!?!?!
Yeah.. I'm the master of stupid questions ;P

Grace Hatem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4249 on: October 30, 2018, 04:28:54 pm »
Hey guys,
Can someone please tell me how to write a proper thesis, where should I gather my information from when writing it?
Thank you  :)

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #4250 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Heyy!!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

I did standard but what I always did was.....
Take a stance regarding the question.
Look at the rubric
Identify the aspects that apply to your text or you want to explore with the essay
Identify aspects of the questions that need to be directly addressed....

Write a killer thesis  :)

So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

jamonwindeyer

• Administrator
  • It's Over 9000!!
  • Electrical Engineer by day, AN Enthusiast by Night
  • Respect: +2591
« Reply #4251 on: November 11, 2018, 03:50:05 pm »
+2
Hello everyone! I know there have been a couple of questions already, but just putting this here as a marker for the new syllabus which kicks in for 2019 exams and beyond. Everything before this is still useful - Many of the general skills discussed previously are still relevant, and Module A-B are mainly unchanged from the previous syllabus too. But do keep in mind things might have changed a bit since previous questions were asked!

Keen to see this thread be just as much of a collaborative resource for the new course as it was for the old :)

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4252 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:57 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
Can someone please tell me how to write a proper thesis, where should I gather my information from when writing it?
Thank you  :)

Address the question specifically, and use the words from the question. However, try not to repeat it. I found that using 2 sentences could help me expand on my overall argument. Then you want to introduce your points which will prove your thesis true.
HSC 2018
Advanced English | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Earth & Environmental Science (5th in state) | Geography

ATAR 98.2

zuriah

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4253 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
Hey,
I'm currently writing an essay on 1984 for the common module and find myself constantly referring to the "human experience" and "collective" and "individual", I would LOVE some help with pinpointing some specific human qualities and emotions that reflect Winston's experience !! Thanks in advance :)

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4254 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:35 am »
+7
THANKS ATARNOTES FOR HELPING ME THIS YEAR!!
Just finish HSC 2018 want to give back here is easy steps in structuring your essay and short response for english adv HSC exams and etc.
 Short Answer Section of Paper 1
1 mark    Answer the question in one statement using the words from the question and by providing ONE quote and ONE technique. However, if the question only asks for ONE quote or ONE technique or ONE theme/idea/concept, ONLY provide what the question asks for.
2 - 4 marks    Topic sentence which rehashes the question and lists the techniques being analysed. The number of techniques used will be determined by the number of marks the question is worth.

One analytical statement per technique. “Firstly, through the use of *technique*, in the *quote*, it can be seen that the composer represents discovery to be….” “Furthermore, through the *technique* in *quote* it is also suggested that….”

Concluding statement that provides a link between your analysis and the discovery rubric.
5 mark question   Mini Essay
Introduction: two statements
-   One statement that answers the question by linking it to the rubric.
-   Second statement that introduces the texts you will be analysing
Body Paragraph 1 (text 1)
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Body Paragraph 2 (text 2).
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Conclusion
-   One statement that reinforces the truth of what was stated in the introduction.

-   What if the question is worth 6 marks? – add one more
-   What if the question asks for 1 text only? Analyse the start and end.

Annotated Reading
Text 1 – Photograph and Quote.
-   “through an analysis of the interplay between the written and  visual text”
-   Family and relationships   this text has something to do with us discovering ourselves through our relationships with others
o   Salient image of the family
o   Father in the background smiling as he stands behind his children who are represented in the foreground
o   Close positioning indicates a sense of connection.
o   Symbolism of the eski suggests that the family is camping….that connectiosn to others are strengthened through shared experience.
-   Metaphor: “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others”
-   Enlarged font size: “delight”  emphasises the enriching qualities of connections to others. 
-   Use of the second person pronoun “ourselves” suggests a direct address being made to the reader.
Select TWO aspects of the text and explore how it reflects notions of individual discovery.

1.   Through an analysis of the written and visual elements in ‘Text 1’ a deeper understanding of individual discovery emerges.
2.   Within the written text, Smith employs a metaphor in “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others” to suggest that a deeper understanding of personal identity emerges from the construction of strong and meaningful relationships with others – particularly our family. The intentional enlargement of the font size of the word ‘delight’ helps the responder discover the extent to which strong relationships can have far reaching and transformative impacts on individual identity.
3.   Within the visual text, salience as well as the positioning of the father in the background and the children in close proximity in the foreground, reinforce the fact that personal contentment can be derived from strong connections to others. The figures’ facial expressions of joy, reinforce this.
4.   Thus, it is clear that ‘Text 1’ helps engender a more articulate understanding of how moments of wonder can be derived from self-discovery through our relationships.

Text 2 – Migrant Woman on a Melbourne Tram, Jennifer Straus (poem).
•   Rubric Links: discovery of new worlds, physical discovery, confronted within this new environment
•   Caesura
•   The use of parenthesis in stanza 3 has the effect of creating an aside.

Mada438

• MOTM: DEC 17
  • Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #4255 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »
+1
Hey,
I'm currently writing an essay on 1984 for the common module and find myself constantly referring to the "human experience" and "collective" and "individual", I would LOVE some help with pinpointing some specific human qualities and emotions that reflect Winston's experience !! Thanks in advance :)
Hey!
So with this, its important to think about how orwell describes winstons feelings towards things throughout the book.
Some specific ones could be:
Rebellion-Winston rebels against big brother
Hopelessness and dispair-he realises how futile his cause is
love-he loves julia
rejuvination-through his meeting with o brian, his reading of the manifesto and his discovery of julia's rebellion rejuvinates winston and gives him hope\

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?