Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2018, 08:14:21 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 285737 times)

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3435 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:33 pm »
Hi kuac,

Thank you very much your explanations they helped me alot! I was just wondering, if on the day of an exam, you have 2 texts. One text matches with the question, but the other doesn't. What would you guys recommend to do?

From theyam

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #3436 on: February 11, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »
+2
Hi kuac,

Thank you very much your explanations they helped me alot! I was just wondering, if on the day of an exam, you have 2 texts. One text matches with the question, but the other doesn't. What would you guys recommend to do?

From theyam
Hello there!
I'm obviously not kauac but I do have a recommendation for this. My English teacher recommended that if your AOS related text doesn't align as well, you can use the stimulus provided in the paper 1 booklet- these texts would obviously contain elements of discovery since you have to write about them in the short answer section.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:45:11 pm by owidjaja »
Class of 2018
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1| Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

Visit my studygram @studywithlivia for some study motivation!

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3437 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:28 pm »
Hello there!
I'm obviously not kuac but I do have a recommendation for this. My English teacher recommended that if your AOS related text doesn't align as well, you can use the stimulus provided in the paper 1 booklet- these texts would obviously contain elements of discovery since you have to write about them in the short answer section.

Hope this helps!

Hello

OMG thank you for your quick reply, my question was directed to everyone but reading again it looks like it wasnt XD. My assessment task is letting us go in with one poem from Robert Gray, and I've chosen Meatworks. On the day we'll be given an unseen text and our task is to synthesise on the spot. I'm really scared that the question they'll give wont match with Meatworks. I will be really sad, if the question asks about curiosity because my poem is more about discoveries about being sudden and unexpected. Do i just disagree with the question? Or just go text 1 shows curiosity but text 2 shows that curiosity is not always needed in the process?

Thank youuuu

owidjaja

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3438 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:47 pm »
+3
Hello

OMG thank you for your quick reply, my question was directed to everyone but reading again it looks like it wasnt XD. My assessment task is letting us go in with one poem from Robert Gray, and I've chosen Meatworks. On the day we'll be given an unseen text and our task is to synthesise on the spot. I'm really scared that the question they'll give wont match with Meatworks. I will be really sad, if the question asks about curiosity because my poem is more about discoveries about being sudden and unexpected. Do i just disagree with the question? Or just go text 1 shows curiosity but text 2 shows that curiosity is not always needed in the process?

Thank youuuu
Hmm if my English teacher were here, he would say to memorise all the poems since we're doing Yeats for Module B xD I find that inefficient, especially looking at how ridiculously long Robert Gray's poetry is just from skim reading his poems. Personally, I would get to know all of the poems so it can align with at least one rubric point- you can set out your notes in a table (e.g. columns on technique; quote; analysis; rubric).

Another thing you can do is to twist the rubric point and suit it to the question. Using your example on how Meatworks is more on being sudden and unexpected, you can talk about how discovery in the poem displays this idea that discovery, being provoked by curiosity, can result in unexpected discoveries.

Alternatively, you can sit on the fence. By this, you analyse the unseen text along with the given question but contrast this with Meatworks. To use your example again, you can talk about how the unseen text displaying discoveries emerging from unexpected circumstances and in your next point, talk about how Meatworks show a different aspect of discovery as the poem shows that discoveries can also emerge from curiosity. With this, you're showing a more sophisticated understanding of discovery and that discovery won't always be the same since the process is supposed to be unique!

However, you shouldn't be fully disagreeing with the question. To the marker, it shows that you want to regurgitate a prepared essay rather than engaging with the question. So yeah, sitting on the fence can also work.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:10:05 pm by owidjaja »
Class of 2018
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1| Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

NP2000

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3439 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble developing paragraphs for my Advanced English Creative Writing piece. I would really appreciate it if you guys could develop paragraphs that focus on imagery and emotion on the following topics.

- Paragraph on ''Mithu'' birds. Describe their plumage, emotions that arise from their beauty and emotions that arise from their sonorous voices.
- Paragraph on a cage which the birds are housed in. Describe the cage like a jail, something that hinders the beauty of the birds.
- Paragraph describing the emotion someone feels when they lose someone. In my story a son loses his dad to cancer.
- Paragraph describing how someone feels when they are forced to give up something. In my story, the persona is forced to give up his passion, playing the violin, because of unforeseen circumstances.

I know this is a lot to ask for but I would really appreciate it if you guys could help.

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Electrical Engineer by day, AN Enthusiast by Night
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3440 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:54 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble developing paragraphs for my Advanced English Creative Writing piece. I would really appreciate it if you guys could develop paragraphs that focus on imagery and emotion on the following topics.

Welcome to the forums! ;D we'd be super happy to give you some feedback on anything you've written, and we have a great guide that could help. But us doing your piece for you isn't going to accomplish anything - If anything, you'll be worse off, even if it seems easier now!

The forums are an incredible resource, but we aren't here to do your homework for you :)

dancing phalanges

• MOTM: JUL 17
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #3441 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:53 pm »
Hi guys,

- Paragraph on ''Mithu'' birds. Describe their plumage, emotions that arise from their beauty and emotions that arise from their sonorous voices.
- Paragraph on a cage which the birds are housed in. Describe the cage like a jail, something that hinders the beauty of the birds.
- Paragraph describing the emotion someone feels when they lose someone. In my story a son loses his dad to cancer.
- Paragraph describing how someone feels when they are forced to give up something. In my story, the persona is forced to give up his passion, playing the violin, because of unforeseen circumstances.

I know this is a lot to ask for but I would really appreciate it if you guys could help.

Thanks

Hey! If you are struggling with describing things check out descriptionari.com. People post paragraphs describing all sorts of things from objects to emotions and it helped me a lot in gaining inspiration for creative writing in the hsc :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Looking for tutoring? Click here to get in contact! (Note my tutor profile does not load on mobiles)

Get involved in our Modern History Debate Thread here!

owidjaja

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3442 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
+3
Hi guys,

Thanks
My response may sound like your typical English teacher but maybe read around for some inspiration. When I experienced writer's block, I would read examplar creative pieces and a compilation of short stories- short stories are better in helping you get that creativity flowing because they're short (duh!) and they are much more concise in conveying the themes.

Another thing I would do is to align my emotions to the emotions your character is feeling. For example, you listed that you needed help in describing the emotion when a son loses his dad- go watch something sad! Maybe go watch A Walk To Remember? Films are crafted to make the audience feel the same/similar emotions as the character, and to be honest, you see more people emotionally respond to films more than novels (unless you're a bookworm). So yeah, watch something sad so you can write on a personal level rather than regurgitating cliche lines in your creative.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:31:26 pm by owidjaja »
Class of 2018

SpanishPear

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3443 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:03 pm »
+1
Hey all,
So I'm really not an English person, and I've read the articles on "how to do English if you're a maths person" and similar articles by the atarnotes community, but one thing still confuses me.
How do I go about constructing essays to memorise for my HSC??
For example, for the discovery module, my assessment was a vodcast on a particular topic. How would I go about constructing a general essay for Discovery?

Mada438

• MOTM: DEC 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Happiness is being confidently weird
  • Respect: +134
« Reply #3444 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:19 pm »
Hey all,
So I'm really not an English person, and I've read the articles on "how to do English if you're a maths person" and similar articles by the atarnotes community, but one thing still confuses me.
For example, for the discovery module, my assessment was a vodcast on a particular topic. How would I go about constructing a general essay for Discovery?
In terms of memorizing an essay, i've found what helps the most is rewriting it again and again, with a copy next to you to refer to if needed. The aim is that as you rewrite it more and more, you can remember how to write more of it without referring to your other copy, until you eventually you actually do (believe it or not) write the same essay from the top of your head. If you do this, do it under timed conditions, as this helps with your time management.

However, if you think memorizing an ENTIRE essay is too much, then set about learning a set of concepts, quotes, techniques and analysis that can be shaped to apply to the question. That way you you can remember all the important parts needed, and not little things that aren't important.
Hope this helps!
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything"
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"
Guides that i have written:
Playing the devils advocate: English questions
A guide for research methodologies in your PIP
A guide to one of my Discovery Related Texts!
Society & Culture E-Resources
Advice for starting year 12

owidjaja

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3445 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:37 pm »
+3
Hey all,
Hey there!
When it comes to constructing essays, I would prepare an essay plan with your related and set text- this way, you can match the concepts and quotes together. Don't memorise an entire essay unless you already know the question- the whole point of the HSC to for students to write what they know rather than regurgitating other people's words.

As for constructing a general AOS essay, I would create a very broad thesis so it can be malleable in an exam. For example, in the rubric, there is a point on how discovery can be planned or unexpected. Since that is a broad rubric point, use that as your practice thesis and then twist it so it can align with the essay question. Say, if the essay question was talking about discoveries that can be intellectual, scientific etc., you can say that an intellectual discovery can be unexpected, as seen in *insert text/character*. Through this, your thesis is consistent- which means that you really know your thesis- and you can easily adjust to different forms of questions.

Hope this helps!
Class of 2018

SpanishPear

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3446 on: February 15, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
Hey there!
When it comes to constructing essays, I would prepare an essay plan with your related and set text- this way, you can match the concepts and quotes together. Don't memorise an entire essay unless you already know the question- the whole point of the HSC to for students to write what they know rather than regurgitating other people's words.

As for constructing a general AOS essay, I would create a very broad thesis so it can be malleable in an exam. For example, in the rubric, there is a point on how discovery can be planned or unexpected. Since that is a broad rubric point, use that as your practice thesis and then twist it so it can align with the essay question. Say, if the essay question was talking about discoveries that can be intellectual, scientific etc., you can say that an intellectual discovery can be unexpected, as seen in *insert text/character*. Through this, your thesis is consistent- which means that you really know your thesis- and you can easily adjust to different forms of questions.

Hope this helps!

That was really helpful!!
So for the modules, would it also be a good idea to use a statement from the rubric as a thesis, or is that only for AOS

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3447 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:16 pm »
+2
So for the modules, would it also be a good idea to use a statement from the rubric as a thesis, or is that only for AOS

The rubrics are far less prescriptive in the Modules in terms of comparison. For AOS, you have that big chunk of all things Discovery to choose from.

I have to say, make sure you don't just take a sentence from the rubric as a thesis. Use your own words, blend it with another idea about discovery, or only take inspiration from the rubric. The rubric is there to guide and inspire, so you absolutely can use the words and ideas of the rubric. But, you can't just spit back the rubric. You have to take on your own creative blend :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• MOTM: JUL 17
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #3448 on: February 15, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »
+4

Elyse is 100% correct that while the rubric forms the basis of your thesis, you still need to put it in your own words to really show you understand what is being asked rather than just copying words from the question or rubric. That's where this synonym table I made comes in: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=176661.0
Take a look it just gives you a bank of synonyms for the key words/types of discoveries in the rubric and should help you a lot when writing your thesis and explanations :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Looking for tutoring? Click here to get in contact! (Note my tutor profile does not load on mobiles)

Get involved in our Modern History Debate Thread here!

fergo

• Adventurer
« Reply #3449 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »
Hello!

So I'm writing a practice essay on Module A- EBB and Fitzgerald and I'm worried that my introduction is too long. It's around 200 words and it takes up around 2/3 of a page, but I also have big writing and can write reasonable fast. I'm not sure if I should try and cut it down or if it would be alright.

Thanks!!