Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 23, 2019, 03:35:29 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 551556 times)

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4485 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:38 pm »
+1
Hey there,

When I studied Yeats' poetry, I'd often organise the three main quotes (per poem) I know really well, i.e. I always used them in practice essays. This makes it easier to cram, rather than looking at slabs of writing. I also put together a playlist of people reading the poems and listen to them on loop, not to memorise the whole poem, but to get used to the syntax of the poem because if you forget quotes, one of the most obvious signs that you forgot those quotes is that the syntax doesn't match the overall tone of the poem (trust me, I've had teachers call me out on this!). Leading up to the exam, like 1 hour before, I'd focus on reading or writing them over and over again.

During Trials, because I didn't dedicate enough time to memorise the quotes, I cut it down to 1-2 quotes per poem so I have at least a some form of evidence in my essay, rather than trying to memorise a bunch of quotes, getting overwhelmed and forgetting them all in the exam.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks so much, very helpful  :) :) :)

Coolmate

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #4486 on: August 10, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
Hello!

I just a quick question, how exactly do I prepare for unseen questions for Module A and B in an exam? Should I:
  • Memorise a bunch of quotes?
  • Figure out questions from the syllabus and try to memorise as many as I can?
  • Or combine both above??

What would you recommend is the best plan of attack for the exam day?

Thanks in advance, any advice/ help is appreciated! ;D

Cheers, Coolmate 8) (btw I'm in yr 11)
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT

😁😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁😁                                    🎨🎨Creative Quotes Thread!🎨🎨

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +862
« Reply #4487 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:32 pm »
+1
Hello!

I just a quick question, how exactly do I prepare for unseen questions for Module A and B in an exam? Should I:
  • Memorise a bunch of quotes?
  • Figure out questions from the syllabus and try to memorise as many as I can?
  • Or combine both above??

What would you recommend is the best plan of attack for the exam day?

Thanks in advance, any advice/ help is appreciated! ;D

Cheers, Coolmate 8) (btw I'm in yr 11)
Hey there,

It depends on personal preference. I know some people memorise a generic essay and work with it in the exam. I personally prefer memorising a bunch of quotes, themes have a thesis prepared in advance so when I'm in the exam, I'm not just ignoring the question and regurgitating a generic essay. And I also try to avoid predicting questions just so I can focus on preparing as best as I can rather than using that effort trying to predict questions.

Keep in mind, the process of preparing unseen questions can take awhile. For me, it took doing a bunch of practice essays (or even just an intro and a paragraph) so I can get comfortable and experiment with what ideas and quotes I understand the best. Once I've narrowed down the set of quotes and the corresponding themes that I use the most, I create a cheat sheet so all those quotes and themes are in one place. I'd also throw in maybe 1 or 2 quotes and 1 theme just to have an extra one up my sleeve. When it came to modules when I had to analyse multiple texts (for example, in Mod B, I did Yeats and needed to know all 7 poems), I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems, narrow down the quotes/themes I'm comfortable with and implemented a crap tonne of memorising strategies (writing it repetitively, creating a playlist of someone reading them etc.)

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Coolmate

• Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
« Reply #4488 on: August 11, 2019, 07:19:41 pm »
Hey there,

It depends on personal preference. I know some people memorise a generic essay and work with it in the exam. I personally prefer memorising a bunch of quotes, themes have a thesis prepared in advance so when I'm in the exam, I'm not just ignoring the question and regurgitating a generic essay. And I also try to avoid predicting questions just so I can focus on preparing as best as I can rather than using that effort trying to predict questions.

Keep in mind, the process of preparing unseen questions can take awhile. For me, it took doing a bunch of practice essays (or even just an intro and a paragraph) so I can get comfortable and experiment with what ideas and quotes I understand the best. Once I've narrowed down the set of quotes and the corresponding themes that I use the most, I create a cheat sheet so all those quotes and themes are in one place. I'd also throw in maybe 1 or 2 quotes and 1 theme just to have an extra one up my sleeve. When it came to modules when I had to analyse multiple texts (for example, in Mod B, I did Yeats and needed to know all 7 poems), I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems, narrow down the quotes/themes I'm comfortable with and implemented a crap tonne of memorising strategies (writing it repetitively, creating a playlist of someone reading them etc.)

Hope this helps!

owidjaja!

Thankyou so much, this is such a great explanation! I just have one more question, when you said "I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems", I am currently studying a book that has about 7 short stories (that my school is focusing on) in it, would you recommend that I do a practice essay for each of these short stories? Prelims for me start in about 5 weeks  ::) if I should do a practice essay for each short story would 5 weeks be enough time to complete this?

Thanks again owidjaja!  :D

Coolmate  8)
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT

😁😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁😁                                    🎨🎨Creative Quotes Thread!🎨🎨

owidjaja

• MOTM: JAN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +862
« Reply #4489 on: August 11, 2019, 07:45:08 pm »
owidjaja!

Thankyou so much, this is such a great explanation! I just have one more question, when you said "I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems", I am currently studying a book that has about 7 short stories (that my school is focusing on) in it, would you recommend that I do a practice essay for each of these short stories? Prelims for me start in about 5 weeks  ::) if I should do a practice essay for each short story would 5 weeks be enough time to complete this?

Thanks again owidjaja!  :D

Coolmate  8)
Hey there,

I'm not sure if you're supposed to write a comparative essay for those short stories (i.e. an essay question where they either give you a short story that you have to use plus another story you've studied, or if the question refers to a theme and give you the option to choose at least 2 of the studied short stories), but assuming that you are, I'd list the themes that are explored in each story and try and find common themes so then it's easy to form essay plans. So going back to my Yeats example, I was able to make 3 pairs of poems that had similar/same themes and 1 poem that was very flexible. Then I made sure I made an essay using those all the pairs, meaning that I essentially wrote 4 practice essays (to clarify in case my previous response made it look like I wrote 7 practice essays haha).

So 5 weeks could be enough time for you to experiment with your prescribed texts, but realistically, if you're struggling to make time to ensure you've used all the prescribed texts, just prepare an essay plan for the texts you haven't used before.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Jefferson

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4490 on: August 11, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
Hi everyone,

For the common module, my teacher says that it must be an essay. Does this restriction apply to Module A and B, or can you use other forms of text in your response?

Thank you.

Coolmate

• Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
« Reply #4491 on: August 12, 2019, 09:11:01 am »
+1
Hey there,

I'm not sure if you're supposed to write a comparative essay for those short stories (i.e. an essay question where they either give you a short story that you have to use plus another story you've studied, or if the question refers to a theme and give you the option to choose at least 2 of the studied short stories), but assuming that you are, I'd list the themes that are explored in each story and try and find common themes so then it's easy to form essay plans. So going back to my Yeats example, I was able to make 3 pairs of poems that had similar/same themes and 1 poem that was very flexible. Then I made sure I made an essay using those all the pairs, meaning that I essentially wrote 4 practice essays (to clarify in case my previous response made it look like I wrote 7 practice essays haha).

So 5 weeks could be enough time for you to experiment with your prescribed texts, but realistically, if you're struggling to make time to ensure you've used all the prescribed texts, just prepare an essay plan for the texts you haven't used before.

Hope this helps!

Hey owidjaja!  :D

Thanks again and for clarifying my question! This is a good idea I will use this advice in my studies

Cheers, Coolmate  8)
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #4492 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,

For the common module, my teacher says that it must be an essay. Does this restriction apply to Module A and B, or can you use other forms of text in your response?

Thank you.

Hey, Jefferson!

Unless otherwise specified, the assumption is that you will be writing an essay for Paper 1 Section II (Common Module), Paper 2 Section I (Module A) and Section II (Module B). It is highly unlikely that they will ask for a different text type in the aforementioned modules. Section III (Module C), however, can range from creative, discursive, persuasive and informative forms of writing  :)

You can definitely apply some conventions of other forms in the essay itself but to a limited extent so you can preserve the formality of your extended response. I illustrated an example of how you can use figurative language in an essay in response to another user which you can observe here!

Hope that clarifies any concerns  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:27:06 pm by angewina_naguen »

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4493 on: August 12, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »
hi, im in year 11 and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying adv english - shakespeare julius caesar? like an effective way to prep for tackling essay questions and developing a strong thesis about leadership, politics and power? or just any advice at all really, i really love learning about it and i have made extensive notes in class on the text, i just wanna know how to practice writing essays for it or exam advice in terms of evidence and all

xlaibaxx

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4494 on: August 16, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »
Hey, can someone help me out with the common module the paradoxes, inconsistencies and anomalies within Kenneth Slessors poems? please i really need help, thanks.

Coolmate

• Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
« Reply #4495 on: August 25, 2019, 12:51:57 pm »
Hello Everyone! ;D

I'm in year 11 and am studying Module B at the moment. In this module I am studying the text, "The Turning" By Tim Winton, and was wondering if anyone had any quotes, analysis or resources that I can use along with studying this book? As I am finding it hard to find any resources or help :-\

Thanks in advance! ;D

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:53:32 pm by Coolmate »
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Leader
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #4496 on: August 25, 2019, 11:17:54 pm »
+1
Hello Everyone! ;D

I'm in year 11 and am studying Module B at the moment. In this module I am studying the text, "The Turning" By Tim Winton, and was wondering if anyone had any quotes, analysis or resources that I can use along with studying this book? As I am finding it hard to find any resources or help :-\

Thanks in advance! ;D

Coolmate 8)

Hey, Coolmate!

I struggled to find some resources outside of the generic analyses ones you can Google Search but I do think these articles from The Guardian might prove useful in helping you deepen your critical thinking and engagement with the text  :) You could also integrate quotes from the authors of these articles in your essay to elevate your response  :D

A book for the beach: The Turning by Tim Winton
Review: The Turning by Tim Winton

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Coolmate

• Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
« Reply #4497 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:24 am »
+1
Hey, Coolmate!

I struggled to find some resources outside of the generic analyses ones you can Google Search but I do think these articles from The Guardian might prove useful in helping you deepen your critical thinking and engagement with the text  :) You could also integrate quotes from the authors of these articles in your essay to elevate your response  :D

A book for the beach: The Turning by Tim Winton
Review: The Turning by Tim Winton

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Hi angewina_naguen!, ;D

Thankyou so much, this will definetly help me for my prelims and incorporating other authors view about the book in my essays as well! :) :)

Cheers,

Coolmate 8)
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT

jimmyjay

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4498 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »
Hey all hope you're doing well,

After trials, I did rather poorly in module C response. I'm trying to write a creative piece inspired/influence by Orwell's style in Politics and the English language however I've had trouble trying to figure out his style. Can anyone provide advice on some aspects of his style in this piece? Also,I'm trying to write in a sarcastic tone however I have no idea on how to do this. Can anyone provide an example?

Thank you :)

Coolmate

• Trendsetter
  • 🏆Hard Work = RESULTS!🏆
« Reply #4499 on: September 02, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to write really good sophisticated topic sentences regarding the characterisation of two characters and the relationship between them? Could you please show me some examples for this essay question? The essay question is below:

"How is characterisation utilised in Tim Wintonís The Turning to explore the fragility of relationships between individuals?"

Also, I was just wondering, how do you study for an unseen question? Do you either memorise your premade essay and just adapt it to the essay question presented on the day? ;D

Thankyou! :D

Kind Regards,

Coolmate 8)
YR 12 2020:

》Advanced Maths
》Advanced English
》Physics
》Biology
》SOR 1
》IPT