FREE lectures this July. Places booking out fast. HSC: book here. VCE: book here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 19, 2019, 05:21:54 am

Author Topic: Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 469015 times)  Share 

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Trendsetter
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +5
Re: Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #3750 on: May 31, 2019, 04:11:53 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on two questions, 2.1 and 2.2. Can anyone help me out please? Thanks :)
HSC 2019: English Advanced(77) (Forgot everything), Chemistry, Physics, Maths Extension 1(35) (repeating), Maths Extension 2, Business Studies(80) (screw this)

Dream course(s):
Nursing (UTS)
Education (maths or physics) (USYD)
Engineering/or any form of science (UNSW or UTS)

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3751 on: June 09, 2019, 08:39:52 pm »

Dumb q but,
do different types of detergents behave differently in hard water?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3752 on: June 10, 2019, 02:36:23 pm »
Dumb q but,
do different types of detergents behave differently in hard water?

No. All detergents behave the same with a head and a hydrocarbon tail which allows it to interact with water and grease.
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

annabeljxde

• Trailblazer
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3753 on: June 12, 2019, 08:32:15 pm »
Hi!

Could anyone briefly explain why longer hydrocarbons have a tendency to burn in incomplete combustion?
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion (48)

HSC 2019: 3U Maths, English Advanced, Chemistry, Biology 

say hi to me! @orenji.study on instagram

I do SOR free-essay marking. Contact me via instagram or through the AN forums if you are interested!

r1ckworthy

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3754 on: June 12, 2019, 11:48:07 pm »
+2
Hi!

Could anyone briefly explain why longer hydrocarbons have a tendency to burn in incomplete combustion?
Edit: There is a limited amount of oxygen (20% in atmosphere) in the air, which will not react with ALL the hydrocarbons in the long hydrocarbon chain. I'll keep my answer up as it is kind of relevant, but don't rely too much on it. Incomplete combustion will always occur when there is an inefficient amount of oxygen. I thought it was too simple at first, but just confirmed it with my teacher ;D

Okay I'm gonna take a shot at explaining this. I got my information from this page.

Combustion is essentially the process of gaseous oxygen reacting with the surface of the hydrocarbon. So if a hydrocarbon is easily volatile (turn into gas), the oxygen will react with the surface (which turns into gas) and then with the next molecule (which turns into gas) and then the next molecule (which turns into gas) and so on with ease. This occurs for smaller hydrocarbons that are easy volatile.

For bigger hydrocarbons however, their volatility decreases (accumulation of dispersion forces increases strength/ bonding), and so it will be much harder for oxygen to "grab" the surface molecule and then the next molecule and so on. Oxygen will react much more readily with gaseous hydrocarbons and get used up. But because of the increased strength of the longer hydrocarbon, the oxygen will react only with the surface molecules, resulting in incomplete combustion.

Super dodgy explanation, but that is kind of the whole premise. I'll probably edit my answer tomorrow and add some more stuff to make it more clear.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:00:55 am by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Send some questions to boost my ego :)

annabeljxde

• Trailblazer
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #3755 on: June 13, 2019, 05:12:28 pm »
Edit: There is a limited amount of oxygen (20% in atmosphere) in the air, which will not react with ALL the hydrocarbons in the long hydrocarbon chain. I'll keep my answer up as it is kind of relevant, but don't rely too much on it. Incomplete combustion will always occur when there is an inefficient amount of oxygen. I thought it was too simple at first, but just confirmed it with my teacher ;D

Okay I'm gonna take a shot at explaining this. I got my information from this page.

Combustion is essentially the process of gaseous oxygen reacting with the surface of the hydrocarbon. So if a hydrocarbon is easily volatile (turn into gas), the oxygen will react with the surface (which turns into gas) and then with the next molecule (which turns into gas) and then the next molecule (which turns into gas) and so on with ease. This occurs for smaller hydrocarbons that are easy volatile.

For bigger hydrocarbons however, their volatility decreases (accumulation of dispersion forces increases strength/ bonding), and so it will be much harder for oxygen to "grab" the surface molecule and then the next molecule and so on. Oxygen will react much more readily with gaseous hydrocarbons and get used up. But because of the increased strength of the longer hydrocarbon, the oxygen will react only with the surface molecules, resulting in incomplete combustion.

Super dodgy explanation, but that is kind of the whole premise. I'll probably edit my answer tomorrow and add some more stuff to make it more clear.

This is such an amazing explanation, I can't thank you enough!!! Seriously thank you thank you! ヽ(‿)ノ

Ahhh, I see... that explains why my teacher told us to justify why assuming complete combustion for longer hydrocarbons is invalid..

My assessment for chemistry is due today and again, I can't stress how much you've saved me!

I do SOR free-essay marking. Contact me via instagram or through the AN forums if you are interested!

annabeljxde

• Trailblazer
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #3756 on: June 13, 2019, 05:14:59 pm »
URGENT!

Hi everyone!

Can anyone please explain to me how you would find the amount of CO2 produced from complete combustion in terms of energy production (i.e. in kJ/mol). My teacher told me to use the energy output of the hydrocarbon (e.g. 5470kJ/mol) to work this out but I'm a little stuck..

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +246
« Reply #3757 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:10 pm »
+3
Say for the combustion of propane:
C3H8(aq) + 5O2(g) --> 3CO2(g) + 4H2O(g) enthalpy = -2220.0 kJ mol-1
For every mole of propane burnt, you 'expel' -2220.0 kJ of energy.
For every mole of CO2 produced, you get -740.0 kJ of energy.

So say some experiment or whatever 'expelled' 14712 kJ of energy. Then, 14712/740 moles of CO2 would be produced, and hence you have the amount of CO2 produced in the chemical reaction. You need the secondary value, otherwise, you have nothing to work off :)

Hope this helps :)
Failing everything, but I'm still Flareon up.

HSC 2018: Modern History [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics | Chemistry | English Advanced | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2