Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 25, 2020, 04:29:26 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 648816 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ∫2x + 3 dx = x^2 + 3x + C
  • Respect: +135
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #4425 on: January 25, 2020, 09:35:57 am »
Hi Coolmate!

Not too familiar with the new maths advanced syllabus, but I had a look at my 2U notes for the same topics and have some (but definitely not exhaustive) general things that could help:

Trigonometric Functions
•   Take note of whether the question is asking for the answer in degrees or radians (and double check your calculator is in this mode) – easy marks can be lost there.
•   On a similar note: know how to convert radians to degrees and vice versa.
•   Know well and be able to draw your basic y= sin x, cos & tan graphs (and their inverse).

Functions:
•   Know the difference between domain & range
•   With a region question, check you have drawn it correctly by plugging a set of coordinates inside the region and making sure the inequality is true for this.
•   Be familiar with the format/wording of locus questions so that you can easily work out what it’s meant to look like (e.g. a circle or a straight line).

I’m sure there are plenty more tips that others could add as well! :)

Thankyou kauac for the advice! :D
                                                             🤯🤯YR 12 2020:

🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

😁My STUDY GUIDE!😁                                    💬Quote A Day With Coolmate💬

shekhar.patel

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4426 on: February 09, 2020, 09:56:33 am »
Hi there. I need help in this question. If anyone can assist much appreciated.
🤯🤯YR 12 2020:

- 📚Standard English📚
- ☄️Physics☄️
- 🔥Advanced Math🔥
-✌Extension 1 Math✌
-👨‍💻Extension 2 Math👨‍💻
- 📖 Economics 📖
-🙏CAFS🙏

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Forum Leader
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +320
« Reply #4427 on: February 09, 2020, 01:03:27 pm »
+2
Hey there!

Given that the sums of three different sections need to be the same, we should automatically be considering a sort of inverse to that statement ie. that the three different sections need to each have a sum a third of the total, which is 78. Therefore, each section should have a total of 26. Also, note that each number can be paired up with one other to form 13, ie. two pairs form 26. It's a similar sort of idea to summing arithmetic series quickly by adding the first and last terms, the second and second last, etc. Therefore, any two pairs will work, but given that two lines need to be drawn as opposed to randomly picking two pairs, the following would be a good solution.

Spoiler
Hope this helps!
Failing everything, but I'm still Flareon up.

HSC 2018: Modern History [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Advanced [87] | Maths Extension 1 [98] | Maths Extension 2 [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - Verbal Reasoning [740] | Decision Making [890] | Quantitative Reasoning [880] | Abstract Reasoning [800]

shekhar.patel

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4428 on: February 10, 2020, 04:16:43 pm »
Hey there!

Given that the sums of three different sections need to be the same, we should automatically be considering a sort of inverse to that statement ie. that the three different sections need to each have a sum a third of the total, which is 78. Therefore, each section should have a total of 26. Also, note that each number can be paired up with one other to form 13, ie. two pairs form 26. It's a similar sort of idea to summing arithmetic series quickly by adding the first and last terms, the second and second last, etc. Therefore, any two pairs will work, but given that two lines need to be drawn as opposed to randomly picking two pairs, the following would be a good solution.

Spoiler
Hope this helps!

Oh right!
That makes sense. Thanks a lot for your help.
🤯🤯YR 12 2020:

- 📚Standard English📚
- ☄️Physics☄️
- 🔥Advanced Math🔥
-✌Extension 1 Math✌
-👨‍💻Extension 2 Math👨‍💻
- 📖 Economics 📖
-🙏CAFS🙏

Tierney_P

• Adventurer
« Reply #4429 on: 1 hour ago »
Hey guys this is probably a dumb question......how do I integrate a square root???
like for example y=
?????
xx
T

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2494
« Reply #4430 on: 23 minutes ago »
Hey guys this is probably a dumb question......how do I integrate a square root???
like for example y=
?????
This reads as \( 4\sqrt{2} - x\). Did you mean this or did you mean \(4\sqrt{2-x}\)?